All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VAFCII/SAFCII owners, plz step in!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Need A Light?

VAFCII/SAFCII owners, plz step in!

Okay this weekend I'm going to tackle the install myself...judging from the instructions that came with the VAFCII, it doesn't look too hard...I am very electronically declined but I still feel like I can tackle the project...I just want to make myself clear on a few things before I go...cuz I dont like suprises ....so plz chime in if you can!

1. The ECU on a 2k2 max...I know its behind the center console...but do I attack it from the passenger or drivers side? In other words, is most of the wiring done from the pass or drivers side? Also is there any bolts that I have to remove that are tricky to get to? I want to make sure I have enough harness length to work with...

2. I have a V-AFCII...according to Jime's installation instructions, PIN 71 Purple wire, it says its for the KNOCK SENSOR....my VAFCII instructions say the purple wire is for the VTEC solenoid signal input...are these the same? I know Jime's instructions are for the SAFCII...don't wanna end up wiring something different...

3. Jime told me PIN 27 is for the VIAS...which colored wire do I hook it up too for the VAFCII?

4. Can someone point out which PIN # I connect the ORANGE wire (VTC Cam Signal)...Blue wire (VTM signal)...and Light Blue wire (TDC signal)?

I am terribly sorry if some of you can't understand what I'm tryin to ask....I'll go further into detail once I get some replies... thanks!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 AM

I have my diagram in the car, BUT.. The VAFC-II is NOT like the SAFC-II so do not go by Jime's instructions.

Pink is the VTEC OUTPUT SOLENOID wire, hook that up to the positive of your VIAS.

Im not sure about the VTC cam signal because I dont have that.

The VAFC-II doesn't have a Knock Sensor input, thats only for the SAFC-II.

If your car is anything like a 4th gen, the ECU harness will be in the passenger side area, so tackle it from there to get to the wires...

You can use Jime's diagram for everything except Knock Sensor and anything related to VTC/VTEC/Cams...

Red - 12v+
Red - 12v+
Black - Ground-
Brown - Ground- Closer to ECU
Pink - VIAS Output 12V+
Green - RPM (ECU)
Gray - Throttle (ECU)
Yellow - MAF Output TO ECU
White - MAF Input from Harness

In my opinion, you dont need to hook up the VTC/Cam stuff...
Old 12-22-2005, 06:49 AM
VQ Wizard

The VAIS may not even work off the VAFC because most Nissan circuits are ground switched. That isn't the reason you buy the VAFC over the SAFC. The advantages are that the VAFC-II can be setup to tune 24 rpm points and the SFC-II can only tune 12.

And don't waste your time with the knock sensor.

You access the ECU from the kick panel on the passenger side. Do NOT use crimp connectors. Solder everything, heat shrink evrything. Use the bullit connectors that it supplied for the MAP/MAF connections but solder the wires onto those as well.

.032 - .022 Silver solder works the best

Follow the instructions carefully, especially when it tells you to solder the brown and black ground wires 1CM apart on the ECU ground.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
The VAIS may not even work off the VAFC because most Nissan circuits are ground switched.
Isn't it also possible to hook up a constant ground to the VIAS and have the 12V+ from the VAFC activate it? That's how I have it on my 00VI.. I switched it from a constant 12V+ to a constant ground because the Summit RPM Switch uses a ground to activate and the VAFC 12V+..

You can also use a relay to switch the polarity...

That's IF he REALLY wants to control the VI opening, he already has the ECU doing its job and I dont think he would need to change the opening as it already is optimal.

Dont really know much about 3.5's so I cant say for sure.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like it's mainly going to be just for the pretty light showing it's activated.
If you're heading to the dyno could you please do a baseline, then best dyno from adjusting the switchover point please before adjusting AFR.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jmeister
Sounds like it's mainly going to be just for the pretty light showing it's activated.
If you're heading to the dyno could you please do a baseline, then best dyno from adjusting the switchover point please before adjusting AFR.
In that case just set what rpm he would like the pretty light to come on and it will come on anyways Lol

It is kinda cool when the switchover happends tho
Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Need A Light?

Thanks matt and everyone else who replied....

Solder everything ehh? I was just planning to go by the instructions and caulking the connectors together...do you think thats good enough? I mean I don't have any solder or soldering iron with me....thats why I wanted to mention it...and for the splicing, u guys are using wire strippers right? is there enough room down there to fit a standard size one?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by steven88

Solder everything ehh? I was just planning to go by the instructions and caulking the connectors together...do you think thats good enough? I mean I don't have any solder or soldering iron with me....thats why I wanted to mention it...and for the splicing, u guys are using wire strippers right? is there enough room down there to fit a standard size one?
Just invest in a soldering iron... you can get one for about $12 at Home Depot. Don't forget heat shrink too, and to put the heat shrink on before you solder the wires together.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:08 PM

Not sure I can help you any. The S-AFC II and V-AFCII are different and you need to go with the schematic/instructions that came with it.

However, I do agree that all joints be soldered and double check the pin location and wire color before you cut/connect.

On the VIAS, I never tried to change it so I don't know what kind of switching setup it has.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Need A Light?

alright so I decided I'mma just solder the connections...since I went to the radio shack website and saw some irons for cheap...now let me get somethings straight before I go off and try this...

I know there are TWO types of connections made to the ECU harness...one is a SPLICE into the stock harness...the other one I CUT and intercept with the harness of the VAFCII....now the CUT & Intercept method seems like common sense to me...cuz you just snap the ECU harness' wires...then solder both tips to the VAFCII...for the SPLICE method....how do I solder this one? I am only familiar with using quick splice connectors and have never soldered a splice...

and Sr20DEN....032 - .022 means the overall diameter? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:32 PM

Old 12-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Need A Light?

wow that is so much better! thanks jime....I absolutely suck at learning when I read off a book or a forum for that matter...Most of my learning comes from "seeing" things
Old 12-22-2005, 02:04 PM

Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:09 PM
VQ Wizard

wow that is so much better! thanks jime....I absolutely suck at learning when I read off a book or a forum for that matter...Most of my learning comes from "seeing" things

You cant put heat shrink on that, you'll have to wrap them if you do it that way.

I always get that solder from Radio Shack, most places do not carry silver solder and when they do it's too thick. You can also get a 15-25 watt iron from there for a reasonable price.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 PM

if you can please take pics of the install. i have the VAFC-II and its not installed yet. also, please let me know what settings you used for the inital setup too. i cant find the book but something about the Vtec controller has to be set and i dont know what it is since we dont have Vtec!

Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Need A Light?

I'll try to take pics...

Oh yeah! I wanna know what your settings are for the initial setup....is it really that important? The instructions say you could blow up your engine if you don't do the initial setup....anybody have the settings already on hand for the 2k2?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:20 PM

should be the same as a 4th gen no??

if so mine are..

Sensor Type - 4 IN 4 OUT
Car Type - CYL# 6, Throttle / <-- Arrow pointing to the right up.

if I recall thats all you have to set in the setup for the VAFC-II.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Need A Light?

thanks! I'll give it a shot
Old 12-22-2005, 03:35 PM

IIRC it is important thats why mine isnt in yet. i dont want to blow **** up. i was hoping sr20den would chime in i think he did an install for a local..

I'll try to take pics...

Oh yeah! I wanna know what your settings are for the initial setup....is it really that important? The instructions say you could blow up your engine if you don't do the initial setup....anybody have the settings already on hand for the 2k2?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:40 PM
VQ Wizard

I am meeting up with Sloppymax and other local .orgers tonight. I was going to wait untill afterwards to get all of the settings I used on his car. But on mine I don't even use 4in 4out, I use 1in, 1out, 1, 1, arrow right/up.

IIRC the VAFC-II settings don't require as much intervention since it technicially isn't supposed to be connected to a MAF.

One of the neat things about the VAFC-II is that it will show the 'MAP' seetings in PSI, so at WOT and high RPM it'll show you running 12+ PSI of boost.

Also, every HonDUH person that has seen Sloppymaxs' VAFC-II in his car has immediately freaked out. It's fun to show off.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 PM

thanks, please post what his setting are, many including me will appreciate it!

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
I am meeting up with Sloppymax and other local .orgers tonight. I was going to wait untill afterwards to get all of the settings I used on his car. But on mine I don't even use 4in 4out, I use 1in, 1out, 1, 1, arrow right/up.

IIRC the VAFC-II settings don't require as much intervention since it technicially isn't supposed to be connected to a MAF.

One of the neat things about the VAFC-II is that it will show the 'MAP' seetings in PSI, so at WOT and high RPM it'll show you running 12+ PSI of boost.

Also, every HonDUH person that has seen Sloppymaxs' VAFC-II in his car has immediately freaked out. It's fun to show off.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Need A Light?

damn...I tried taking a look at the wiring earlier today and just ran into a brick wall...can someone help me out?

Is this where I start wiring my vafcii wires too? where my index finger is pointing...jeez how do I even know which wire goes where? Like which wire goes to which PIN? any help is greatly appreciated....

oh yeah...are u guys using a tool similiar to this?

Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 PM

Yeah that where you wire it up to and all you need is the ECU wiring diagram that tells you which wire is which.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:28 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

pics should be available either later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Need A Light?

pics of the install sloppymax?

damn I really need help....do I just start hacking away at the wires once I un-wrap that black electrical tape around the harness?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:36 PM

yes..

10char...
Old 12-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Need A Light?

any updates sloppy?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:08 PM

yea Steven88, that looks a bit nerve wrecking. I plan a VAFC-2 install soon also, So I'm taking on with this tread.

Have you unwrapped the black tape yet? the wires should be color coded, and with a ecu diagram you can figure out which wire belongs to what and start splicing.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Need A Light?

I did un-wrap the black tape...you just don't see it in the pics cuz this is a pre-installation shot...the tape is now un-wrapped and seriously...there are WAAY too many wires....this thing is like 1 inch thick full of wires...no way in hell I can figure out which is which...theres gotta be some trick to it to figure out which wire is which...right guys?
Old 12-24-2005, 09:42 PM

Yeah, look at a FSM it will tell you exactly which wire is which.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:28 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

you will need a fsm because our pin outs are different. i think SR just wanted to get some shots of the actual setup/settings for the vafc2. shots of my actual install will not be of much help because of the difference.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Custom User Title

The easiest way to strip the insulation off of a wire without actually cutting the wire is with a razor blade..
Old 12-26-2005, 02:45 PM

I used scissors effectively without damaging the wires a bit.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
I used scissors effectively without damaging the wires a bit.

Any small strippers would be fine, just dont be hercules about it and you wont cut the wire.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by sloppymax
you will need a fsm because our pin outs are different. i think SR just wanted to get some shots of the actual setup/settings for the vafc2. shots of my actual install will not be of much help because of the difference.

Did you ever get that wiring harness I gave you to work out? I'm going to have to extend the wires on the one I'm getting soon.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:38 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Did you ever get that wiring harness I gave you to work out? I'm going to have to extend the wires on the one I'm getting soon.
i sure did. it is in my bin of parts to get installed. dont let me forget i have a belated gift.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:20 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally Posted by s0ber
should be the same as a 4th gen no??

if so mine are..

Sensor Type - 4 IN 4 OUT
Car Type - CYL# 6, Throttle / <-- Arrow pointing to the right up.

if I recall thats all you have to set in the setup for the VAFC-II.

What are the color codes of the wires on a 4th gen ECU? its about time I hook mine up since DEK install is done
Old 12-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by sloppymax
i sure did. it is in my bin of parts to get installed. dont let me forget i have a belated gift.
very good!.....you didn't have to do all that.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Need A Light?

okay I'm going to bump this thread up cuz I'm still stuck....

I do have the 2k2 FSM with me...the only page I found thats worth looking at is EC28...it lists each PIN on the ECU and where it connects to...but still doesn't give me the color of the wires like a few of you mentioned earlier...where would find out which color is what?

Also, did you guys unhook those clips on the ECU...then pull the harness further out to get more room? I tried doing it and it seems like it won't budge...I need a little bit more room to work comfortably

one more question....to the fellas who installed this themselves, what device did you use to splice the wires? I find it impossible to fit a wire cutter into the haystack of wires....thanks!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:15 PM
VQ35DE-T

okay I'm going to bump this thread up cuz I'm still stuck....

I do have the 2k2 FSM with me...the only page I found thats worth looking at is EC28...it lists each PIN on the ECU and where it connects to...but still doesn't give me the color of the wires like a few of you mentioned earlier...where would find out which color is what?

Also, did you guys unhook those clips on the ECU...then pull the harness further out to get more room? I tried doing it and it seems like it won't budge...I need a little bit more room to work comfortably

one more question....to the fellas who installed this themselves, what device did you use to splice the wires? I find it impossible to fit a wire cutter into the haystack of wires....thanks!
Wire cutter? I stripped a part of the wire I was gonna tap into, wrapped the other stripped wire from the AFC2, cripped the supplied metal covers over the exposed wire w/ a long nose/needle nose pliers, and covered it w/ electrical tape; and yes you could fit a wire stripper into the haystack of wires, you just have to find the wire you want and separate it from the rest, I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: VAFCII/SAFCII owners, plz step in!