All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

ahhh!! transmission wont shift after engine rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:47 AM

ahhh!! transmission wont shift after engine rebuild!

I thought about putting this thread under 4th gen maxima but I thought I would get more useful responses here bcuz I donno if anyone who frequents that forum rebuilds engines.
I just finished rebuilding the engine in my 4th gen maxima. replaced valves and seals and such. I decided to check the transmission because the engine was damaged from over-revving and I wanted to be sure the tranny was ok. All I did was crack the tranny case and look inside, everything looked okay so I put it back together. Now that the tranny is in the car it won't go into any gear, and the shifter wont move past that resistance point by 5th and rev. gear. The tranny shifted fine before I took it apart. what is the most likely thing I screwed up in there?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ouch. I guess from now on you'll be sure the tranny shifts before putting it back in the car.

Could be a couple of things. Did you get all the check ***** back where they are supposed to be? Got the 5th and reverse gear dog lined up with the hole in the case and the bolt in properly?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:28 PM

I agree with Stephen Max.

One thing that happened to me the last time I opened my transmission (because I blew 1st gear) was that the tranny would shift fine out of the car but when I put it in the car it would no longer shift. Happened 3 times. 3 times I had to pull it back out.

What happened was that there were peices of the blown 1st gear under the shifter rod. Cleaned that out, double checked and I was fine. So maybe something fell under your shifter rod and it's not moving while in the car.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM

sorry about your problem just out of curiosity. what did you over rev the motor to and how did you know something was wrong after your overreved the motor?
The reason i asked is i misshifted 100mph in 3rd back into 2nd grear. According to my OBDII monitor it reved out to 8600rpm. What did you over rev to?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM

your supposed to leave it in between 1st and 2nd when you put the cover on if you dont your forks move locking the tranny in gear. All you have to do is open the transmission up pull on the forks so that its in nuetral and then put the tranny between 1st and 2nd then put the cover on. WHen the covers completely on you should be able to move the gears around into every gear.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by JamesNH
your supposed to leave it in between 1st and 2nd when you put the cover on if you dont your forks move locking the tranny in gear. All you have to do is open the transmission up pull on the forks so that its in nuetral and then put the tranny between 1st and 2nd then put the cover on. WHen the covers completely on you should be able to move the gears around into every gear.
Actually you gotta put it between the 1st/2nd gear position and the 3rd/4th gear position, between the two.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:24 PM

yay I got it fixed! the reverse gear assembly was apparently in wrong. Car runs and shifts fine now!

I don't have an OBD scan tool but I know I was going 65~67 mph and the tach bounced hard off the stop. I'm guessing at least 10k. you might have bent your valves and don't know it, my car still would have ran decently if the clutch wouldn't have exploded(it actually did start and run, just not well). Do a compression check, if that turns out fine you should be in the clear. I had 0 compression in 5 outta 6 cylinders