All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VIAS Stuck but NOT actuator cup? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006 | 03:44 PM
Hella internets

VIAS Stuck but NOT actuator cup? wtf?

I have been getting a bad low end tq loss since i did the 00VI, ive done little things here and there to free up some power, mostly just cleaning up the install and shortening some messy vacum lines.

But, as i was doing all this, i decided to take off the VIAS to make sure the rotator cup wasnt busted (causing the power valves to stay open). When i did this, it was in perfect working order, however, when i put everything back together, i warmed up the car. I reved it up to my RPM switch mark (4800ish) and noticed that the VIAS opens the power valves but it only does it about half way, and when it suposed to close, its like it gets stuck half way. The wierd part is, that even after i shut my car off. I tried to manually push the power valves closed with my hand, and it goes back down, but then pops back to the half way open position. What could be the problem? Im 99% sure now that this is my low end loss problem, but how can i fix it?

Also, one thing i was wondering is, what position is open and closed? Pointing straight up when looking at the VIAS should be open correct? and pointing to the front end of the car should be closed? Im thinking maybe when i put it back together i put the rotator cup facing the wrong side? i dont know at this point im willing to try anything

Any ideas would be helpfull, thanks.
Old 01-09-2006 | 05:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My power valve used to stick like that when I first got my 00vi. I took it apart and gave the power valve a good cleaning, lubed it up with some lithium grease and it has been working fine since.
Old 01-09-2006 | 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
My power valve used to stick like that when I first got my 00vi. I took it apart and gave the power valve a good cleaning, lubed it up with some lithium grease and it has been working fine since.
Same... I cleaned mine up good and sprayed some lithium as well...
Remember I PM'ed you about it being stuck :P

To XeroX:
Just curious, you didnt supply the VIAS to some sort of vacuum did you?
Old 01-09-2006 | 01:44 PM

As I recall (without going out and looking at mine), you're right about the position on the actuator arm when open or closed. But I'm confused about how you might have gotten the cup facing the wrong direction.
About the problem, I've seen several of these terribly "sooted" up on the inside, probably due to the EGR system. Take it off, take apart and clean it out. The above posts are worth doing during reassembly. And IMNSHO, do the JB Weld fix to the cup while it's in good shape. Something about an ounce of precaution being worth more than a bucket of spit!
Old 01-13-2006 | 04:30 PM
Hella internets

Hmm, ok ok...

Thanks for the reply guys! I have been wondering what the hell i have to do haha.

BTW, Sober:

Yes i did supply the passenger side vacume port on the VIAS to the intake piping. Is this correct? I was under the impression it needed to be linked to an open air source...not vacum?
Old 03-18-2006 | 07:32 PM
Hella internets

Still having this damn problem, Valve ends up closing on its own after a while, but once it opens it basically gets stuck unless i leave the car to sit for a WHILE, then it magically closses again...
Old 03-18-2006 | 07:34 PM
Hella internets

OH yea, forgot to mention that when i took off the VIAS, i check the power valve with my hand (turned it with hand) and it was VERY smooth, i doubt lubricating the power rod/valve will do anything....You think it may be a bad VIAS?
Old 03-18-2006 | 08:08 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

if it turns easily, i would have the tendency to say that clock of the pv is incorrect. if possible, i would post up a picture of the current position or some sort of drawn diagram.
Old 03-19-2006 | 02:37 PM
Hella internets

I thought the PV only went into the cup in one way?

Im gona check up on the wiring of my RPM switch today, just to make SURE this isnt the problem. IM 99% sure its wired up properly, but i keep coming back to this problem over and over again, no hurt in double checking things.. hehe

Any info is helpfull!!
Old 03-19-2006 | 04:26 PM
Hella internets

Ok i just checked the wiring and everything is fine. I ended up testing the VIAS with just a signal (positive and negative, to activate it) it activated, but when i disconect the wires from the battery it still gets stuck, so i know its not the way i wired my RPM switch, its something with the VIAS.

Keep in mind i tested this while the car was NOT running, should i test it with the car running?

Another question: I just took off the VIAS to make sure the PV rod was positioned correctly and from what i can tell, its in there just fine, but when i was playing around with the VIAS i noticed that when the VIAS activates (opens) it uses that little plunger looking thing and forces air out of one of the holes (im assuming to create a vacuum?). I think this may be contributing to the problem some how, yet i dont know why im the only one experiencing this. Im guessing when the valve opens it creates a vacuum to be able to do something (i dont know what ). This explains partially why when the valve is opened it gets "stuck" and then slowly over a lil while ends up closing again on its own. If i try to push the rod back closed while its stuck, it just goes back to the open position like it was spring loaded (this is due to the vacum i was talking about earlier?) But if it sits for a lil while this does not happen.

I am SOOOoooOOO confused, anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-19-2006 | 05:16 PM
Hella internets

Ok, well i was playing around with the VIAS a lil more.

When I manually open the vias (push the rod that goes into the plunger thing) it blows air out of one hole that seams to be sealed off with another hole (that doesnt blow anything out) When i seal off that little chamber with my finger and manualy push the rod that opens the PV it stays stuck open, and when i take my fingers off and let the vacuum loose (the vacum is created by the plunger) it closes up just fine.

Is this normal? IF so, how the h3ll do the valves close after they open? i really dont understand this....

Also, i was looking at the vacum line ports on the VIAS (there are 3 total) and the one that most of you have pluged to an open air source (the one closest to the manifold (closest to passenger side). I tried blowing in it with my mouth and sucking and it does NOTHING, is this normal? I tried doing this also when i sealed it with my hand (like i explained above) and it did nothing. Im starting to think that we dont even need anything pluged into these ports wether it be vacuum or open air source...

Sorry if this may sound confusing, im trying my best to explain what im seeing...
Old 03-19-2006 | 06:54 PM

post some pictures please, if you can
Old 03-20-2006 | 02:33 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
post some pictures please, if you can
D4mn it... I hella thought about this when it was all apart, and by the time i had put everything back together to drive it, i forgot to get the digi.

I will c if i can find some pics of the VIAS, im pretty sure there is a good one on the JB weld "mod" write up thats floating around.
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by XeroX
Still having this damn problem, Valve ends up closing on its own after a while, but once it opens it basically gets stuck unless i leave the car to sit for a WHILE, then it magically closses again...
This is caused by differences in thermal expansion between the power valve and the upper manifold. As clearances get smaller, any debris in the way will cause binding. Then when it cools off and clearances open up again it unbinds.

I had the same problem, which I fixed by removing the power valve and giving it a thorough cleaning and lubricating with white lithium grease.
Old 03-20-2006 | 03:13 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
This is caused by differences in thermal expansion between the power valve and the upper manifold. As clearances get smaller, any debris in the way will cause binding. Then when it cools off and clearances open up again it unbinds.

I had the same problem, which I fixed by removing the power valve and giving it a thorough cleaning and lubricating with white lithium grease.
Alot of people have been telling me to clean the PV's but I really dont think thats the problem. I have one more thing i want to try before i go thru the hassle of cleaning them all out. I can understand where your coming from, but whenever i turn the valves by hand when i take off the VIAS, it is VERY smooth, and not hard to turn AT ALL. I even stuck my finger in one of the holes to feel the PV and it was pretty well lubricated....

haha, that doesnt sound very good....eh....

but on a serious note, if my next attempt fails this will be the next thing i try. I will post back with my results.
Old 03-21-2006 | 05:04 AM

Alot of people have been telling me to clean the PV's but I really dont think thats the problem. I have one more thing i want to try before i go thru the hassle of cleaning them all out. I can understand where your coming from, but whenever i turn the valves by hand when i take off the VIAS, it is VERY smooth, and not hard to turn AT ALL.
That's because you are inspecting it when it is cooled off, and the problem occurs when it is hot. If you have 1 mm of clearance when cold, and you have .5 mm of gunk and carbon from the egr taking up that clearance, then you are not going to have any problems. But what about when the clearance closes up to .4 mm when hot?
Old 03-21-2006 | 01:50 PM
Hella internets

Good point hehe.

I will def try this this coming weekend or when i get a chance.
Old 03-21-2006 | 11:10 PM

D4mn it... I hella thought about this when it was all apart, and by the time i had put everything back together to drive it, i forgot to get the digi.

I will c if i can find some pics of the VIAS, im pretty sure there is a good one on the JB weld "mod" write up thats floating around.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763858/5
Old 03-25-2006 | 02:08 AM
Hella internets

Well i figured out the problem and it was not anything I or anyone coulda thought about. I cleaned out the power valves, and when i took them out they were VERY clean, but i still cleaned em up a bit more and lubed em all up with white lithium grease. While looking at the vias before putting everything back together i realized that you can remove those vacuum solenoids behind the metal clip (brown and black ones). I took them out and started comparing mine to my friends VIAS solenoids and noticed that when i blew air thru the front vacuum port air would come out the other side thru a small hole, while mine did not. I took a paper clip and jammed it into the black solenoid (thru the front) and try to force whatever was in the way out. Nothing really came out other than a dead baby spider (WTF?!) and some rust/dirt building. GOD knows how that thing got clogged, but after doing this and putting it all back together my VIAS activated FLAWLESSLY. My low end is back, and my top end is still kickin! too bad it was raining tonight i wanted to test it out hehe.

Dont know if this may be usefull, but its a good thing to check if you are having the same symtomes as i was. Good way to check is to pop out the solenoids and c if they are clogged or obstructed by blowing thru the front ports. Keep in mind there are two O-rings that "seal" the rear vacuum vent and the middle vent from eachother that MUST be correctly installed before it can function properly, i figured this out since i lost one of them i ended up using a small rubber band...sigh...whatever it got my power back!

thanks for all your help...i hate problems like these....