All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Looking for the pros and cons of different cam setups.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Play with my balls

Looking for the pros and cons of different cam setups.

What are my pros and cons with each of these setups? In terms of drivability and reliability. Why would one be better than the other? Why would one not beneficial over the other. In what applications are each of these setups used....ie, N/A, FI, etc...? I'm trying to find out as much as I can about these before I act upon my purchase and end up with something I can not use. I understand the basic functions, but any further insightful info will help me in my quest to. GO FASTA!!!

Originally Posted by NISMO

NISMO R Tune setup 262 degrees of duration .426" lift on the intake side
256 degrees duration on the exhaust side

NISMO's Spec 1 setup 276 degrees duration .433 " lift. The exhaust cam is 256 degrees duration with .413" of lift.

NISMO's Spec 2 cams are for the ultimate in top end power. 284 degrees of duration, and .433" lift on the intake side, exhaust cam features 268 degrees duration with .413" lift.

NISMO titanium valves weight INT (genuine 51.4g→NISMO 31.0g) EXH (genuine 46.8g→NISMO 28.7g).

Tomei
256 duration with 10.2 mm lift - offered in intake and exhaust cams
264 duration with 10.22 mm lift - offered in intake and exhaust cams
268 duration with 10.5 mm lift - offered in intake and exhaust cams
Old 02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Need A Light?

how long would it take for a master tech to install cams?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
What are my pros and cons with each of these setups? In terms of drivability and reliability. Why would one be better than the other? Why would one not beneficial over the other. In what applications are each of these setups used....ie, N/A, FI, etc...? I'm trying to find out as much as I can about these before I act upon my purchase and end up with something I can not use. I understand the basic functions, but any further insightful info will help me in my quest to. GO FASTA!!!

You must have been bored at work today, or ticked that the slow **** rental Sentra beat you by 1.5 cars at the green light.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:48 PM
be the change u want2C

yeah id like to know also... i wanna get jwt cams.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:54 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
yeah id like to know also... i wanna get jwt cams.

Why support a company that hates and has no respect for you or your car?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 AM
Go Get a Life!

Turbo Cams vs. NA Cams
NA cams need overlap to help suck air into the cylinders for compression. Where as with a turbo, since the air is forced in, you don't want overlap or you're blowing some of your boost out your exhaust valves. Overlap is where the intake and exhaust valves are both open for a short period of time.
Most turbo cams have longer duration too, to try and squeeze as much air in there as possible. This is the basics you can use in making your decision.

Now my suggestion to you is, if your quest is to go fast, you really need to look at your goal. Are you going boost or staying NA. The key to a fast car is balance you want to make sure you include everything engine related are all on the same page. You have to consider all apps in your cam decision's or you will be so lost building your car.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
You must have been bored at work today, or ticked that the slow **** rental Sentra beat you by 1.5 cars at the green light.
No, I've been interested in this for a long while now as well as other internal modifications, and since I've been hearing and seeing more instances of talk about cams, it's my way of educating myself the right way by asking all of the more knowledgeable folks on here, like yourself. I've grown up with the beliefs that boosting was the only way to create more power and be faster. I see that it is not the only option in alot of cases. (Proven dynos and track times) Being on here for a few years and keeping up with everyone's progress, you as well as others have educated me on a new realm of power that can be had, Naturally Aspirated. In my position it is more logical for me to pursue this route and absorb as much info as possible. I'm a 1st grader when things go beyond the typical bolt-ons. If I can understand it and have hands on experience, that alone would satisfy my cravings. I don't need to be a big-dog, but I would like to learn the methodology of how you guys get there.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
Turbo Cams vs. NA Cams
NA cams need overlap to help suck air into the cylinders for compression. Where as with a turbo, since the air is forced in, you don't want overlap or you're blowing some of your boost out your exhaust valves. Overlap is where the intake and exhaust valves are both open for a short period of time.
Most turbo cams have longer duration too, to try and squeeze as much air in there as possible. This is the basics you can use in making your decision.

Now my suggestion to you is, if your quest is to go fast, you really need to look at your goal. Are you going boost or staying NA. The key to a fast car is balance you want to make sure you include everything engine related are all on the same page. You have to consider all apps in your cam decision's or you will be so lost building your car.
Thank you for the useful response. My goal is yes to be faster, and researching some of these options, I do not foresee myself boosting (tc/sc) as for the complexity, maintenance, and lack of funds to take on a project like this. I do see a solid NA setup in the future and I will be sticking with spraying the car.

In other words you are saying that if it's a NA setup a lower stage setup would be more beneficial, and a higher stage would be for boosting? This is my interpretation of that and it seems makes sense. Would a setup equivilant to the Nismo R Tune be more applicable to me? I also suspect that I need to upgrade the valve springs and rod bolts if I'm going to eventually raise my rev limiter as well to squeeze out that hidden power from any of these cam setups. Would this be the relationship of balance that you are referring to?

With installing cams is my lowend actually lost, or is it just a shift in the powerband towards the highend?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Go Get a Life!

Now it depends on where you want that power to be achieved. Technically the lower the duration the lower the peak power will be achieved (x=RPM). For example the Tomei 264 is ideal for all around power. Now since your increasing the rev limiter anything around 264* 10.02" to say 270*10.9" duration is ideal for say an 8krev. You can go a little higher than this but IMO for safety you will need to go with dual valve springs and titanium retainers for added safety. 270 duration cam is a bit much for NA depends, your deff going to need to increase the airflow efficiency. For example increase the compression ration via changing pistons or heads. Stuff like this which I don't think you had in mind so I would stick with an all around cam something like a stage 2 and get the dual valve springs and titanium retainers for safety and reliability.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Go Get a Life!

Do you plan on upgrading any other internals?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Why support a company that hates and has no respect for you or your car?
No $hit!...........
Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you consider the eBay cams? Apparently they have the same specs as the JWT cams: 260 deg duration, .428"(10.9MM) lift (got that from the JWT website) and those have seen some nice gains on a NA VQ35.

More details here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=ebay+cams
Old 02-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
Do you plan on upgrading any other internals?
What feasible options do I have to work with besides what's listed? If pistons and heads are in that equation, then no. At least not at this time. As for the valve springs and rod bolts, yes those will be upgraded.

I'll get back to you on the post before this when I get home tonight.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Did you consider the eBay cams? Apparently they have the same specs as the JWT cams: 260 deg duration, .428"(10.9MM) lift (got that from the JWT website) and those have seen some nice gains on a NA VQ35.

More details here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=ebay+cams
This is what actually resparked my interest. 1k plus for cams was hard to swallow. Not that they are not worth it, but I'd still like to get the Cattman headers first, which takes away a chunk of my modding funds. Swinging the group deal is a little more realistic for me, so yes I've been keeping up with that somewhat.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is what actually resparked my interest. 1k plus for cams was hard to swallow. Not that they are not worth it, but I'd still like to get the Cattman headers first, which takes away a chunk of my modding funds. Swinging the group deal is a little more realistic for me, so yes I've been keeping up with that somewhat.
Cool.... I'm one step ahead of ya (less the spray) but will be heading in the same general direction. I've been following all the cam interest, but my funds are currently tied up for several months as well . I'll hit ya up on email sometime.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:04 PM
vsamoylov

is anybody running any cams currently in their cars here in the all motor forum?

Old 02-03-2006, 07:05 PM

which cam has the lumpiest idle?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Go Get a Life!

What feasible options do I have to work with besides what's listed? If pistons and heads are in that equation, then no. At least not at this time. As for the valve springs and rod bolts, yes those will be upgraded.

I'll get back to you on the post before this when I get home tonight.
I was wondering because your going to have the heads apart at this time it would be ideal to start adding other internals such as rod bolts, pistons etc. You could wait and do this all at once. But it seems your skeptical on that. If you are then wait, if not thats fine. This would be my idea NA Basic setup....cams, cattman headers, UDP, remap ECU, AFC, and FPR. With some dyno tunning this should be a killer NA setup. You could get more but this should be your idea walkthrough.

IMO Nismo Stage 1 or 2 for NA or Tomei Stage 2 or 3
JWT