All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Engine harness removal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Engine harness removal question

hey, im in the process of pulling my parts car engine, and since this is the first engine i've pulled on a maxima, what's the best way to take out the engine harness from inside the car? I already disconnected everything from the engine.

I looked inside, and it would seem like I would have to remove the bracing for the ECU.

Can I remove the engine harness without removing the dash?

Share your experiences.

Thanks,
-Freddy
Old 03-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You definitely want to take the harness out from the engine bay side. There is only a half dozen connectors to pull through the firewall and that sealing grommet installs from the firewall side.

The harness is clipped to the ecu mounting bracket in several places. Just disconnect all the connectors and cut the ties.

When I did mine: I pulled the engine, removed the 3.0 harness, installed the 3.5 harness and then installed the 3.5 engine.

Why do you need to pull the harness? You can let it hang over the right fender while you pull the engine.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

well, i just disconnected everything from the engine, and it seemed a bit complicated, and I was wondering what the easiest way of swapping would be, without any damage. I'm going to be using my 3.0 harness.

Also, the harness that connects to the fuel injectors seems to be attached to the engine at the bottom, and I can't get to it.

I know I have to fit all the 3.0 sensors to make it work, I just think it would be a bit easier to pull the harness from the dash side.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
Also, the harness that connects to the fuel injectors seems to be attached to the engine at the bottom, and I can't get to it. .
The front 3 injectors are on a sub harness along with the crank and oil pressure sensors. That stays with the engine. You just disconnect the sub- harness from the main harness on the top of the engine on the right side. (front of engine)
Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 PM

bro believe me taking out the engine harness is a complete ***** i just finished removing mine because i had to replace it just swing it over the side get some fender covers to prevent scratching that will be your best bet. Honestly it took less time pulling the actual motor then it did to get that damn harness to fit correctly. I ended up drilling out the studs on the ecu bracket because the harness kept getting caught on it.