All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.5 Cams or Aftermarket cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:52 AM

3.5 Cams or Aftermarket cams?

Hey Guys im pretty new to this part of the Section.

Anyways I have a 2k with the 3.0

I was thinking about upgrading the cams for some extra hp.

I want to keep it simple, does anyone know if the 3.5 cams have any gain on a 3.0 ? or will it be a direct fit or not?

Does anyone with a 3.0 have aftermarket cams on theres with some links and prices?

Even maybe a Vid of how the cams sounds on idle or while driving conditation?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Custom User Title

Definitely not after market cams, as they aren't much cheaper than an entire 3.5 engine swap.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:45 PM
shift_Puff

seriously, just swap for a 3.5. It's worth it, trust me. Hopefulyl u are 5spd already
Old 03-17-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 95mtlMAXSE
seriously, just swap for a 3.5. It's worth it, trust me. Hopefulyl u are 5spd already
nopes not at all .. this is my 1st auto car.

im not trying do 5swaps or really a 3.5 swap..just looking for add power to the motor now. hmm well thanks guys I guess I can scrape the idea of cams then.,
Old 03-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3.5 intake cams will have to be drilled to be used in your 3.0. They will provide some gains due to the increased lift. I have set if you are interested. Be advised that aftermarket cams on an auto will make it a dog off the line. I would not do it unless you have a ton of other supporting mods to make it worthwhile.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:59 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Cams + auto = slow without a high stall TC

VQ35 Aftermarket cams are your best bet, but they are expensive to buy and to install and you will loose torque. I would recommend all of the bolt ons, 5 speed swap, and maybe a VQ35 before I would recommend cams.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 PM

^ .. I guess my only soultions is.. nawzz... thanks for the info guys
Old 03-17-2006, 12:25 PM
I like Maximas

first get headers, exhaust, and a PF throttle body then if that is not enough for you..
AND you want to rip into your motor (changing cams is a PITA on VQ3X, need to remove the timing chain cover) then:

your vq30dek has a good exhaust cam(232 duration, 9.0mm lift) so you don't need to touch that.

if you even drop in stock vq30de (95-99) intake cams (232 duration, 8.55mm lift) you will see some little gains..
but if you drop in vq35de intake cams from a 2001 Pathfinder you will have even better gains (230 duration, 9.0mm lift) without having to drill anything.

however some people say that those gains will still be minimal... but you will have more air flowing into the combustion chambers per every engine revolution regardless of high or low rpm. and that is the key to a fast all motor car. you will lose a little from the low-end but the midrange and top-end will be a whole lot nicer (since you already have a 00VI)

but before you do anything you WILL NEED to tune the motor according to a/f ratio with some kind of AFC unit to take FULL advantage of any combination of mods.

cams are usually one of the last mods to do.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by vipervadim
first get headers, exhaust, and a PF throttle body then if that is not enough for you..
AND you want to rip into your motor (changing cams is a PITA on VQ3X, need to remove the timing chain cover) then:

your vq30dek has a good exhaust cam(232 duration, 9.0mm lift) so you don't need to touch that.

if you even drop in stock vq30de (95-99) intake cams (232 duration, 8.55mm lift) you will see some little gains..
but if you drop in vq35de intake cams from a 2001 Pathfinder you will have even better gains (230 duration, 9.0mm lift) without having to drill anything.

however some people say that those gains will still be minimal... but you will have more air flowing into the combustion chambers per every engine revolution regardless of high or low rpm. and that is the key to a fast all motor car. you will lose a little from the low-end but the midrange and top-end will be a whole lot nicer (since you already have a 00VI)

but before you do anything you WILL NEED to tune the motor according to a/f ratio with some kind of AFC unit to take FULL advantage of any combination of mods.

cams are usually one of the last mods to do.

I read on the other Thread that no 5th genners has a PF TB ... or has swap it out without having any problems.

im probally not going all out with the header(s) because its way out of my budget.

Altho Thanks for the heads up on the PF intake cams.. has anyone or *any link* has this done to there 5th gen Maxima?

the car has my companys Y pipe and It will be getting the underdrive pulley put in this week as well as a Berk intake.

im also getting a custom mandrel bent from the cat back into a Greddy SP Muffler that was off My Altima (im having the shop custom make the ends so that in case the Greddy is too loud I can switch it back to OEM muffler)

as far as mods goes..thats as far for add on-s .. I would like to push 280-300 with n2o.

but I would also like to do the add ons before anything.
I just got a B M trans cooler as well. This is my daily driver to and from work.
But its getting a bit boring driving it now.
I guess my age over the years mature BUT sometimes I get these urges to open up the car. Currently im waiitng for some new coils as well. So this week I made a decision to overhaul the car.

I did have highly modd KA24DE(T) Altima when I was on the Alty.net board.

i dump nearly 15-17gs into a motor build up and turbo but the car end up getting stolen.

So driving the Maxima is kinda like driving a Lincolin Town car because of the weight.. Altho I have to admit Im still not used to this car on the highway.
I cant seem to get past 110-115 mph . I feel SO unsafe whereas I use to hit 130-140 and bounce off the rev in the Altima. I guess because the alty was smaller and the maxima is so big with the body roll.. I lowered it another inch so hopefully i can get over my fears and get 120 on the maxima.
Ive own the car almost 2 years now. Thanks for you replies as well guys.