All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

vafc questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Toolie

vafc questions

Hey guys, I have a few questions about vafc's. Most say to look for one on ebay, but it seems that most have honda/acura in the description. Are the apexi vafc car specific? If not, are they plug and play or are they hardwired?
Thinking of going with cattman or hotshot headers for my 03 and a few members have mentioned I will have to retune. But overall this is an expensive upgrade when you include labour on the header install and possibly the vafc. Then add $80 hour to tune. What's the average tune time? Also I was talking to a buddy of mine at work (ricer) and he thinks that the vafc will force the car to run too lean. Is there any control over that? What I mean is, let's say I could gain up to 50 HP (not going to happen I know) with a completely tuned header set up but will be running on the lean side. Could I opt for 30 horse at a less aggressive fuel/air ratio?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Hey guys, I have a few questions about vafc's. Most say to look for one on ebay, but it seems that most have honda/acura in the description. Are the apexi vafc car specific? If not, are they plug and play or are they hardwired?
It doesn't matter, you can use the VAFCII in Nissans. You will have to tap the wires into your ECU wires and intercept (cut) the MAF signal. I have a write-up in the 5th Gen forum for 02-03s.

Thinking of going with cattman or hotshot headers for my 03 and a few members have mentioned I will have to retune. But overall this is an expensive upgrade when you include labour on the header install and possibly the vafc. Then add $80 hour to tune.
I guess you have to pay to play this game.

What's the average tune time?
If you or the shop knows what they're doing, an hour should be enough.

Also I was talking to a buddy of mine at work (ricer) and he thinks that the vafc will force the car to run too lean. Is there any control over that? What I mean is, let's say I could gain up to 50 HP (not going to happen I know) with a completely tuned header set up but will be running on the lean side. Could I opt for 30 horse at a less aggressive fuel/air ratio?
Your buddy doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. The whole point of the piggyback is the ability adjust A/F so you don't run too rich or lean. Headers will make you run rich most of the time, and the AFC will let you lean out the mix to make a little more power and not waste so much gas.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Toolie

thanks, i tried searching for vafc threads thru google, but there are way too many. Could you post a link to your thread?