All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VQ35 - Which year was best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by scrhale
The "high output 3.0" is the VQ30DEK which is found in the 2000-2001 Maximas. Many people do use this option because it is a direct swap and provides 00VI without the hassle of drilling, brackets, etc etc..
Thanks, I recall that designation now.

Didn't they also stick the DEK into the "Limited Edition" 4th Gen I30's, like in 1998-9?

Given that I have a '98 I30, seems like a really good match for my ride.

How does the DEK compare to a similarly equipped DE in terms of 60ft, 1/4mi. and mpg?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Unfortunately, I cannot vouch for the benefits in terms of numbers for the DEK or 3.5 swap. By guessing, I can imagine that the 60ft should be around the same, the quarter mile will go from (If 100% stock minus the swap) high 14/low 15 to high 13/low 14. The MPG should remain close to the same.

My guess for the quarter mile is because the DEK has a Variable Intake Manifold (00VI).
Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 PM

Unfortunately, I cannot vouch for the benefits in terms of numbers for the DEK or 3.5 swap. By guessing, I can imagine that the 60ft should be around the same, the quarter mile will go from (If 100% stock minus the swap) high 14/low 15 to high 13/low 14. The MPG should remain close to the same.

My guess for the quarter mile is because the DEK has a Variable Intake Manifold (00VI).
Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Dude seriously Cripes...
Old 05-24-2006, 06:45 AM

uh oh, I predict this will arise ubber flaming
Old 05-24-2006, 06:53 AM

does anyone ever consider the oil consumption problems that the VQ35DE has? I have read horror stories and want to know if this represents a significant portion of 3.5's or just a select few AND if there is any solution to the problem.
Typically people only post when there are problems, so that's why you are only going to see the horror stories and not people posting "Changed my oil today, no oil loss this time either...". Unless everyone else is oblivious to their oil levels, or lack thereof. AFAIK, the VQ35 oil consumption issue has been limited to a handful on these forums.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 AM

It is actually in English if you read hard enough. Because I have never done either of the swaps and have not researched for hours on end, I cannot spit out about how much HP you should have after the swap or how much your quarter mile will go down. I provided guesses. It is common knowledge that the stock 4th gen 5spd does the quarter mile between high 14's and low 15's. Because 00VI generally shaves off near a second (and factor in the benefits from having just the DEK alone), you can expect to shave off a minimum of one second off your quarter mile.

Thanks for the reply about the oil consumption.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:59 AM

It is actually in English if you read hard enough. Because I have never done either of the swaps and have not researched for hours on end, I cannot spit out about how much HP you should have after the swap or how much your quarter mile will go down. I provided guesses. It is common knowledge that the stock 4th gen 5spd does the quarter mile between high 14's and low 15's. Because 00VI generally shaves off near a second (and factor in the benefits from having just the DEK alone), you can expect to shave off a minimum of one second off your quarter mile.

Thanks for the reply about the oil consumption.

The 3.5 will shave off around a second. According to you then, 00VI = 3.5.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 AM

Given how many people have done 3.5 swaps, I would imagine there are before/after dynos and time slips floating around somewhere in cyberspace.

Not that numbers, per se, are really that important to me, however, I would have to assume that people who do the swaps primarily wish to change their numbers, either measured directly or indirectly.

Other than having to replace a blown VQ30, why else would anyone do the swap except to be faster?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Given how many people have done 3.5 swaps, I would imagine there are before/after dynos and time slips floating around somewhere in cyberspace.

Not that numbers, per se, are really that important to me, however, I would have to assume that people who do the swaps primarily wish to change their numbers, either measured directly or indirectly.

Other than having to replace a blown VQ30, why else would anyone do the swap except to be faster?
I think you're missing my point. I know very well that people do 3.5 swaps to be faster. I also know very well that the 3.5 swaps reduce 1/4 mile times up to a second compared to a bolt-on USIM 4G. He was saying that doing the 00VI mod will reduce times by a second or so. So according to him, the 3.5 and 00VI mod are equals when they aren't, by a long shot.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:51 PM

OK ... so tell me if I am wrong. Just to throw out a number. A good driver on a normal day can run 15.0 in a bone stock 5SPD 4th gen. A full DEK swap should take the bone stock to under 14.5 (I would like to say 14.1-14.3. I remember seeing numbers like this, but they probably had a few more bolt-ons). The 3.5 FAQ says you can expect high 13's with no mods. So I didn't mean to say they are equal.

I should have said that you can expect near a second with a full DEK swap.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 PM

I should have said that you can expect near a second with a full DEK swap.
This statement is incorrect. That's my point.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:43 PM

I am not trying to be smart @$$, but I would like to know what numbers we can expect from a full DEK swap. I am still stuck between DEK and 3.5. I was under the assumption that a full DEK should get me near 14 flat, but I guess I am wrong. By all means correct me ... no hard feelings on this side.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

A VQ30DE will get you to a 14 flat... It's been done before.. N/A. The most you can get from a DEK is the VIAS. Everything else that was improved will not prove to have much significance if any on power output. 3.5L will give you MUCH more in terms of performance all around, especially area under the curve where it counts the most.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
A VQ30DE will get you to a 14 flat... It's been done before.. N/A. The most you can get from a DEK is the VIAS. Everything else that was improved will not prove to have much significance if any on power output. 3.5L will give you MUCH more in terms of performance all around, especially area under the curve where it counts the most.
A DE-K will get you to 14 flat with I/Y/E/ECU and some relatively light wheels. A 3.5 will get you 14 flat or lower with just a y-pipe.

The 14 flat represents the faster extreme of the bolt-on DE-K/DE w/00VI and the slower extreme of the basically stock 3.5 w/exhaust.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

So then why did you quote me ...

Originally Posted by nismology
The 14 flat represents the faster extreme of the bolt-on DE-K/DE w/00VI and the slower extreme of the basically stock 3.5 w/exhaust.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:43 AM

As was pointed out earlier, the DEK swap is easier, and much less painless to do than a 3.5...so, it all comes down to what one is hoping to accomplish by getting rid of a perfectly good engine in the VQ30DE.

When all is said and done, I think I'll just be happy with what I've got...and consider going the easier route of doing the DEK swap when I feel the time is right.

Sometimes, I tend to think I need to go faster. Other times I think I'm going too fast as it is.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you're doing an entinre engine swap, just do the VQ35 since not much will be gained from the entire DEK over the DE (3.0L).

If you are just wanting DEK performance, get an A33 VIAS IM.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:14 PM

If you're doing an entinre engine swap, just do the VQ35 since not much will be gained from the entire DEK over the DE (3.0L).

If you are just wanting DEK performance, get an A33 VIAS IM.
Are you saying that the ONLY difference between the two is the variable intake assembly? In other words, the short blocks are clones?

OK...if I choose to just get the VIAS, what kind of cost are we talking about??
Old 05-25-2006, 03:20 PM

Are you saying that the ONLY difference between the two is the variable intake assembly? In other words, the short blocks are clones?

OK...if I choose to just get the VIAS, what kind of cost are we talking about??

you can find a decent DEK for about the same price as the 00vi setup. Which would you rather do tear down the top of the motor and get the old IM off and new one on, make sure vac lines are in order. or pull a whole motor, and drop new one in, plug any holes needed, maybe some adapters, wire up new injectors...etc.

the DEK is pretty much the same as the DE, cams are slightly more aggressive.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

Are you saying that the ONLY difference between the two is the variable intake assembly?
I never said that. But the rest of the differences(besides the IM) are negligible in the realm of this sub-forums purpose.

Originally Posted by MDeezy
you can find a decent DEK for about the same price as the 00vi setup. Which would you rather do tear down the top of the motor and get the old IM off and new one on, make sure vac lines are in order. or pull a whole motor, and drop new one in, plug any holes needed, maybe some adapters, wire up new injectors...etc.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 PM

I never said that. But the rest of the differences(besides the IM) are negligible in the realm of this sub-forums purpose.
Well. since I began this, let me just clarify by saying that there are other differences besides raw acceleration that are important to me, such as gas mileage, reliability, engine responsiveness and smoothness, emissions level (yeah), and maintenance costs.

Moreover, I intend on keeping my 4th Gen until the wheels fall off, and I would like to think that putting in a lower mileage, more spirited engine might be worthwhile in the long run. I do like the idea of VVT, whether it be an 00VI or V-TEC.

And, I guess there is a little bit of that "I want my I30 to be faster, or at least different, than the other guy's 4th Gen I30" running through my mind.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

I do like the idea of VVT, whether it be an 00VI or V-TEC.
... Good one.

gas mileage,
VQ30DE(K) > VQ35DE
reliability,
So far so good for both my VQ's.

engine responsiveness
VQ35>VQ30

and smoothness
, DEK>DE>VQ35

emissions level (yeah),
Some DEK's are Cali, and ALL A33B VQ35's are.

and maintenance costs

Old 05-31-2006, 10:33 PM
maxS

OK I am going to throw this thread onto a tangent ... forgive me.

Just from reading a lot of swap threads, I have never heard of people throwing the 6th gen MAXIMA engines (VQ35) into the 4th gen because it has different harnesses, sensors, intake manifolds, ... I can go forever. The 5th gen engine electronics, I am guessing, has more compatibility and more closely resembles the VQ30. The 3.5 FAQ explains which cars you can pull the engines out of, but unfortunately doesn't specify which years. If I had to choose, I would take from the 02-03 Maxima or the Altima (Not the 04+ Maximas). Note that I am not the engine expert by any means and this knowledge comes from me reciting information that I have not recently researched, but I am pretty sure it is correct.

Moral of the story ... don't swap to the 04+ Maxima engines.

Now to jack the thread ... Does anyone ever get scared of the oil consumption problems that the 5.5 gen owners report. The horror stories right now have me convinced to do the DEK swap instead. If someone can prove they fixed it or that it is overrated then I will go back to wanting a 3.5 swap.
a few "wrongs" here... 5.5 gen and 6th gen vq35s in terms of IM, eng. wiring, sensors etc. are really close to each other, basically the same engines; "5th gen engine electronics, I am guessing has more compatibility and more closely resembles the VQ30" statement is WAY off. vq30 and vq35 share mostly the "vq" in the name only.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:47 PM
vsamoylov

VQ30DE(K) > VQ35DE

DEK>DE>VQ35

these things i do not agree with. the vq35 is better in all of those categories then the vq30 and the vq30 de-k

Old 06-11-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
these things i do not agree with. the vq35 is better in all of those categories then the vq30 and the vq30 de-k
He's referring to smoothness, and it's true.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:16 PM

Thats the rod/stoke ratio changing the smoothness for you.

Mike