All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

4th Gen Transmission Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006 | 02:56 PM

4th Gen Transmission Woes

-1997 SE 5 speed 160k
I know this isnt related to all motor, but this seems like the most knowledgable part of the fourm, and I'd appreicate any info or suggestions to my current problem. To start it off about a month ago my 5 speed transmission started leaking badly, shortly after I had trouble getting the car into gear, I kept the fluid full when i did drive it which was rarely because of the horrible leak. But anyways the thing wouldnt go into gear, so i turned it off, put it in 1st with clutch depressed and started it, bucked/stalled right out on me, I came up with a way, basically going through the gearbox like 10 times with the car turned off and usually then when i started her she'd go into gear fine. So i finally ended up tracing the leak to the seal inside the transmssion for the drivers side axle. So It just turned out that i had a buddy going to automotive school and was entering his transmissions mod, starting with standards I am broke, so i ended up letting him take it in and tear it apart. When the clutch came out it was in pieces, but the transmission was still mint from a rebuild that cost me $1200 20k ago oh and they noticed a small hairline crack in the case...right near the drivers side axle. They patched the seal with the welding department the school had. So I ordered a spec stage 2, i needed a axle because boot was destroyed, got that, and axle seals, some tranny fluid and flywheel resurfaced. Today his class put everything together, No leak anymore but the damn thing is stuck in 5th, now i havent seen the car in awhile and i wish i could take a look at it, but I cant. I realized now that i really should have reconsidered having a bunch of kids learning how to rebuild trannys on my car and should have seen this coming but theres an ASE instructor and hes stumped on this. I need some serious advise if anyones been in this kind of problem before. I really think its fishy that the transmission was mint internely because why would it start leaking if its all good. I have been driving a 89 buick for the last month please feel my pain, i dont think i've ever missed my maxima so much in my life.