All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Starting a 4th gen 3.5 swap, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 AM

Starting a 4th gen 3.5 swap, need help

So I finally got the ok from my wife to go ahead and swap in a vq35de into my 4th gen maxima, I've been wanting to do it for a while and she wasn't having it, when out of nowhere she says she'll get me the engine for my birthday! woot!

I'm quite inexpirenced when it comes to this, so I'm looking to get help and guidance from the org members. I'm not going to attempt to do the install myself, so I've been looking for a shop to do it for me in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I called up a couple of places but they said they had no expirence with the maxima, but offered to do a swap for a civic. I don't own a civic, so I hung up, lol.

So I guess my first question is, can anyone recommend a shop in this area? I'm also willing to drive out to neighboring cities if there's no shop here that can do it. I've also read in the FAQ that there are some org members in TX who are very familiar with this swap, so thats an option as well if anyone would like to help.

Second, I've found some engines at junkyards here, can anyone give me advice on buying the engine, things to look for, tests to run etc. And I guess I'll have to get it shipped to the shop that will do the install?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Contact Stephen Max. He can git 'er dun for you. He's done at least two and he's in Austin.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Contact Stephen Max. He can git 'er dun for you. He's done at least two and he's in Austin.
Thanks, just sent him a pm!

I'm getting excited.. From what I've read I'll probably need to upgrade my clutch as well, trying to get a list together of everything I'll need to get a hold of to get this install done right..
Old 07-11-2006, 08:43 PM

I'm jacking this thread real quick to ask about this adjustable Fuel pressure regulator. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Do you all think it will be good, I would buy the nismo fpr but I wanted a gauge for easy adjustments.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 AM

Ok, quick question. If I'm looking at two engines, a 2002 and a 2004, which would you advise I use for teh swap in temrs of

1)Ease of modifications required for the swap
2)Power

I'm wondering, since the 02 and 03 VQ35's are rated at 255hp, while the 04 and above are 265hp.. is that simply due to differences in the exhaust etc. between the cars, or is the actual engine going to give me 10 more hp.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 AM

If your going to do the swap, donate so you can search,

Some spoon feeding for you
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=year
Old 07-19-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mad_A
Ok, quick question. If I'm looking at two engines, a 2002 and a 2004, which would you advise I use for teh swap in temrs of

1)Ease of modifications required for the swap
2)Power

I'm wondering, since the 02 and 03 VQ35's are rated at 255hp, while the 04 and above are 265hp.. is that simply due to differences in the exhaust etc. between the cars, or is the actual engine going to give me 10 more hp.

Thanks
I am the first person (that I know of) using an 04+ maxima engine. The major difference on the outside is the external EGR. It has a tube that connects to the IM like my 98 VQ30 had. I just blocked all of it off though. I am going to dyno when I get tuned and see just how much more HP the 04+ engines are going to give.

The valve springs are supposedly lighter in the 04+ VQ35's, which will give some gain as well.

As far as modifications go, you're going to need to block off your EGR on the header and cap the EGR itself on the 04+ motor. You can still have the tube connecting to the IM, but if you want to be ghetto, you can do what I did here with the EGR. I cut the copper tubing and put sheet metal in between the flanges because I couldn't find a local place that could give me a plug for the main EGR tube, so I just reused the tube, and unbolted the EGR from the block so the 98 tube would connect to the EGR:

If you want to reuse the EGR, then you can always make an adapter plate and get a custom copper tube made, but it isn't worth the hassle IMO.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
I am the first person (that I know of) using an 04+ maxima engine. The major difference on the outside is the external EGR. It has a tube that connects to the IM like my 98 VQ30 had. I just blocked all of it off though. I am going to dyno when I get tuned and see just how much more HP the 04+ engines are going to give.

The valve springs are supposedly lighter in the 04+ VQ35's, which will give some gain as well.

As far as modifications go, you're going to need to block off your EGR on the header and cap the EGR itself on the 04+ motor. You can still have the tube connecting to the IM, but if you want to be ghetto, you can do what I did here with the EGR. I cut the copper tubing and put sheet metal in between the flanges because I couldn't find a local place that could give me a plug for the main EGR tube, so I just reused the tube, and unbolted the EGR from the block so the 98 tube would connect to the EGR:

If you want to reuse the EGR, then you can always make an adapter plate and get a custom copper tube made, but it isn't worth the hassle IMO.

Awesome! Let us know how your dyno turns out! :

And thanks for your help
Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 AM

Look at this **** doing big things..
Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Look at this **** doing big things..

When you going to get yours done?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:43 PM

Personally, I believe in EGR. I forgot where, but I read that EGR permits easier starts, improves gas mileage, allows a slight more advance, and OF COURSE ... helps the environment. I would definitely try to get it hooked back up if possible.

In terms of the physical layout, do the 02 and 04 engines differ much?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by scrhale
Personally, I believe in EGR. I forgot where, but I read that EGR permits easier starts, improves gas mileage, allows a slight more advance, and OF COURSE ... helps the environment. I would definitely try to get it hooked back up if possible.

In terms of the physical layout, do the 02 and 04 engines differ much?

If anything, the IACV needs to be hooked back up to permit easier starts.

I've explained a few times now in detail the main difference between the two engines. the 04+ has external EGR and the 02-03 has internal EGR. Look through some of the other posts that I have in different threads explaining the main differences.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:28 AM

When you going to get yours done?
Probably just a full DEk swap..
Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 AM

It begins...

Ok, I went ahead with a 2004 engine. The old engine is out, the new one is waiting for the modifications.. I'll probably end up simply blocking the egr like what was done in the pictures. My question is, will I fail emmissions inspections?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mad_A
Ok, I went ahead with a 2004 engine. The old engine is out, the new one is waiting for the modifications.. I'll probably end up simply blocking the egr like what was done in the pictures. My question is, will I fail emmissions inspections?
texas has emissions inspections? i never had to do one...
Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM

If you live in Dallas, yes! If you live somewhere else, like, I dunno, Tyler, then no. It dpeends on the county as far as I know.