All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Need suggestions from the VQ masters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need suggestions from the VQ masters

I acquired a timing chain tensioner from a blown 2001 DEK to put in my DE. When removing the testioner from the DEK, I noticed that you have to keep tension on the chain in order to put a new one in.

What are you guys using to keep the tension on the chain until you can insert the new tensioner?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 AM

You need to push the tensioner piston back down into the tensioner so you can insert a push pin in that little hole so the piston stays inside. Then you just push and hold the guide toward the front of the motor and then bolt the tensioner on. Then remove the push pin so the piston can push against the nub on the guide.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
You need to push the tensioner piston back down into the tensioner so you can insert a push pin in that little hole so the piston stays inside. Then you just push and hold the guide toward the front of the motor and then bolt the tensioner on. Then remove the push pin so the piston can push against the nub on the guide.
I haven't done the replacement but I already have a paperclip holding the plunger in on the tensioner. With the amount of room that I have to work with, I don't know if I'll be able to put enough tension on the guide with my hands alone.

I'm looking to see if anyone did something clever to put tension on the guide.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I like Maximas

Originally Posted by nismology

That's exactly how to do it, if NOT removing the outer timing chain cover.

a thumbtack works too.

be careful not to move the chain even by one tooth, the timing can be off as a result.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
I acquired a timing chain tensioner from a blown 2001 DEK to put in my DE. When removing the testioner from the DEK, I noticed that you have to keep tension on the chain in order to put a new one in.

What are you guys using to keep the tension on the chain until you can insert the new tensioner?

Motor wasn't blown
Old 07-24-2006, 03:14 PM

Looking for some replies people. My question hasn't been answered yet.

Zach .......
Old 07-24-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
Looking for some replies people. My question hasn't been answered yet.

Zach .......
When I did mine with the motor out of the car, I just simply held the tensioner in one hand with the piston being held all the way in with my fingers, and then slid the screws in with the other hand. I know there's not much room when you just have the front tensioner opening off, but I would do it the same way if I had my motor in the car. Another idea is to get somebody to help you by sticking their hand in there and pulling the chain back while you do your thing...problem is that there is no space to work in there.

BTW, reason 3.0 is one of my favorite softsynths...it's awesome.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg

BTW, reason 3.0 is one of my favorite softsynths...it's awesome.
Too bad it doesn't allow the use of VST instruments. I've downloaded a ton of them.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 PM

Have the Plunger being held in by a paper clip and just move the chain and guide over as you put in the new tentioner....I remember that the chain wasnt even in the way when I went to the tentioner in. The hardest part is finding the first bolt hole. Once you get one in, the second is cake. And dont be worried about the washer falling into the case because the washer doesnt go past the threads on the bolts.

Hope I helped.

-matt
Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Alex_V

I had to take the bolt out of the motor mount right there, then I jacked the engine up a little and that gave me alot more room.

I just did a WP on a 96 a few weeks ago, I dont have a 4th gen.

~Alex

Old 07-25-2006, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the replies.