All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.5 misfiring at low rpms.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Made in Taiwan

3.5 misfiring at low rpms.

Got a new issue today, car ran fine for 2 days, very strong and smooth.

All of a sudden today, after I park it a couple hours to go shopping with my gf it start up fine but misses at idle. Then I drove it and it misses at all rpms below 3k. After 3k, it's fine. Weird...

Well, upon completion of the swap, the idle does seem to be missing, but once I rev up beyond 1k, it's gone, I assume it's the jwt cams that's doing that. But today, the problem got a little worse and I don't know what it is. Got a CEL and it's 0701 and 0604, that's multiple misfiring and cylinder 5 misfiring. The car can drive and can idle without stalling, but it just shakes and misses at lower rpms and idle like I mentioned. I took it home for diagnositcs, injectors seemed fine, coils checked out, spark plugs seemed glazed and stupid me, I was using the 3.0 spark plugs. I went to get the 3.5spark plugs--they are like half an inch longer in the threads section. After the sparkplugs, same problems was at hand, it just misses and feels like it's hard to climb up the rpms, but once it goes past 3k, it's a smooth and strong ride again.

Can anyone give some pointers again? Thanks

-Peter-
Old 08-13-2006, 07:25 PM

what are you using as fuel management
Old 08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Made in Taiwan

none as of now, i'm still waiting shipment on my wideband plxm300. I'm buying the walbro fuel pump and a fpr at a local shop tomorrow. only after fuel setup and wideband installed will i install the EU. I got the EU, i just don't want to install it before I am fully ready to tune it.

but the problem has come down to occasions. I can drive this car half the time being normal and half the time missing but without the cel. very weird.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM

I would say that your getting to much fuel down low for it to burn,but that doesnt sound like a fuel problem.Jus make sure all your sensors are tighten down and all the connections are on securely.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by diymaximakid
I would say that your getting to much fuel down low for it to burn,but that doesnt sound like a fuel problem.Jus make sure all your sensors are tighten down and all the connections are on securely.
The ECU will adjust it's short-term fuel trims to compensate for the larger injectors. That's not it.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Made in Taiwan

I don't have larger injectors in my setup. I get to use my stock 4th gen sidefeed injectors. If fuel is concerned, it should be lean in my opinion. So I don't think it's fuel.
Anyways, I found the problem already. It's the wires for the coilpack harness, the hot lead got burned up and melt off to exposed the wires and was also burning off the signal lead wire for cylinder 3 and 5. So today I used some heat shield sleeves and taped them all up and dandy. Now the car runs like a beast again. Thanks for your inputs.