All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.5 Swap Completed, Credits, Tech Issues and Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:00 PM

That is insane, any pics??? I would love to see your work.

Milt
Old 08-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by ---Camrazy---
That is insane, any pics??? I would love to see your work.

Milt

If you have seen mevi on a 3.0, then you'll know exactly what my setup looks like. I probably won't snap pictures of the setup because it looks no different than a 3.0. Pictures are pointless for my setup. But when I get it tuned up, I will take a few video's for sure. That exhaust tone is really nice.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
SomePsychoGuy

All VQ Maxima injectors are technically the same size 270cc@3.0bar, but the VQ35 does run at 3.5 bar so that changes it somewhat.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SPiG
All VQ Maxima injectors are technically the same size 270cc@3.0bar, but the VQ35 does run at 3.5 bar so that changes it somewhat.
You mean all 3.5 VQ's are 270cc@3.0 bar, right?

A32= 259cc@3.0 bar
A33/350Z = 290cc@3.0 bar
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Made in Taiwan

Just plugged in the jwt 7200 ecu. Car pulls a tad bit harder, definitely more torque down low.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:33 AM
3.5 in the works

JWT = timing advance = more power.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Made in Taiwan

Yeah, Definitely more power. I've taken it to 5k rpms last night, I've just done 6k rpms a couple tims. tonight, I'll try to take it to 7200 redline and see how does it do.

The cams definitely put more power significantly after 4k rpms. But my mevi doesn't open up, because the actuator isn't working right now. Once that gets fixed, I think this thing is going to rock hard on higher bands. I'm very satisfied with the performance as of now. Don't know how long this tranny is going to hold, though.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM

Seriously you deserve like a medal or something! Im serious, It's people like you that always push it to the limit (like the song) and come up with bigger and better ideas and make things so much more easier for the rest of us.. Congrats and Thanks, you deserve it....
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
Seriously you deserve like a medal or something! Im serious, It's people like you that always push it to the limit (like the song) and come up with bigger and better ideas and make things so much more easier for the rest of us.. Congrats and Thanks, you deserve it....

Not me, buddy, I'm not that great. The real guy who did the idea and building up the motor is Stephen Max. And the guy who did the install is Nick in my local shop. I'm just a guy who funded this project and know slightly more than enough to be dangerous. I can't take the credit for the whole thing. Besides, lots of org guys helped me with most of my troubleshooting problems. So, this is a team work effort. I'm just one of the team playa's.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:37 AM

Well, MAD props to you and THE TEAM!!! Good job guys!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:45 PM

Any pics????
Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zack342
Any pics????
Originally Posted by GodFather
If you have seen mevi on a 3.0, then you'll know exactly what my setup looks like. I probably won't snap pictures of the setup because it looks no different than a 3.0. Pictures are pointless for my setup. But when I get it tuned up, I will take a few video's for sure. That exhaust tone is really nice.
Taken from post #42.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 AM

i rode in peter's car today. all i got to say is OMG! the power is insane.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Made in Taiwan

Well, with all that power, I'm stuck between two problems now.

1) My tires are really balded out, no grooves left at all! So there really isn't much traction everytime I rev past 5k.

2) My tranny, after only a week of slight abuse, is having a little play. It "gunks" everytime I clutch in to drive. And when it jerks back sometimes, it'll "gunk" too.

I want to get new tires, but I'm afraid traction to be too firm that it'll come down to hurt my tranny. But without traction, I really can't see the real shine of my setup. It's ambiguous talking like this, but I dont' know.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:38 PM

Well, with all that power, I'm stuck between two problems now.

1) My tires are really balded out, no grooves left at all! So there really isn't much traction everytime I rev past 5k.

2) My tranny, after only a week of slight abuse, is having a little play. It "gunks" everytime I clutch in to drive. And when it jerks back sometimes, it'll "gunk" too.

I want to get new tires, but I'm afraid traction to be too firm that it'll come down to hurt my tranny. But without traction, I really can't see the real shine of my setup. It's ambiguous talking like this, but I dont' know.
Well figure out what SPiG is doing with those sawblades, and if you can get your hands on them, by all means do it. Once that's covered and if your tranny just happens to go....well, you might just have to swap a 6-speed in it
I guess having all that torque is costing you more $$ than you thought. I'm sure Nick wouldn't mind swapping the 6-speed in there! Isn't he doing it on Frosty's butch? By that time he'll know what to do, so he might give you a discount! lol. Good luck, and just hope for the best...it'd be sad to see your car out of commission
Old 08-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Made in Taiwan

Well, Nick isn't really that much informed on how the 6-speed install would go. It'll take him some time; but I'm sure he can do it. But that's money outta my pocket, imagine buying a 6-speed tranny out of the blue. Un-do-able.

Another thing, I've read upon a few threads about it, it's more complicated than it seems. I don't think Nick would like to deal with all this nonsense if he knows the troubles in advance. Come on, he's saying that he can put the tranny in and switch my rod shift setup to cable shift setup. I think he's under-estimating the difficulties involved. If it's that easy, I'd see more than 2 guys to have done this.

I'm not sure if Nick's doing Frosty's 6-speed on that butch. Last I heard, Travis was the supposed guy to do it.

My actual plan is to drive safely these few months till dyno on October 15th. Then I'll buy a spare 5-speed and have Nick rebuild it and store it up; waiting for my tranny failure. I just wouldn't like it if my car goes out during the semester and I'd have to wait for so long on a new tranny and parts.

-Peter-
Old 08-27-2006, 07:54 AM

Well, Nick isn't really that much informed on how the 6-speed install would go. It'll take him some time; but I'm sure he can do it. But that's money outta my pocket, imagine buying a 6-speed tranny out of the blue. Un-do-able.

Another thing, I've read upon a few threads about it, it's more complicated than it seems. I don't think Nick would like to deal with all this nonsense if he knows the troubles in advance. Come on, he's saying that he can put the tranny in and switch my rod shift setup to cable shift setup. I think he's under-estimating the difficulties involved. If it's that easy, I'd see more than 2 guys to have done this.

I'm not sure if Nick's doing Frosty's 6-speed on that butch. Last I heard, Travis was the supposed guy to do it.

My actual plan is to drive safely these few months till dyno on October 15th. Then I'll buy a spare 5-speed and have Nick rebuild it and store it up; waiting for my tranny failure. I just wouldn't like it if my car goes out during the semester and I'd have to wait for so long on a new tranny and parts.

-Peter-
Oh yeah, I forgot about Travis doing all Frosty's work

I agree that Nick is underestimating what it takes to swap in the 6-speed, but think about it this way. If you think your transmission is already about to go, what do you think will happen when you get the blower on there? You would have to drive like Chris does in order to save your tranny! lol I guess it's just the price you have to pay for having that much power in a maxima. Of course I could be very wrong and maybe you won't have any problems later on down the road. I mean, there are plenty of boosted 5-speed 4th gens out there...you just have to wait and see what happen, and don't rag on it too often
Old 08-27-2006, 08:21 AM

I blew 2 gears last year when I had the 3.5 in the max. I got the car running early May 2005 and started going to the track late May. By late June I had blown 3rd gear on street tires at the track. The car was down for three weeks and I blew 1st gear and the driver side axle early September at the track. It was parked in the snow till March '06.

I really think anyone who consistantly races/floors it with a 3.5 will need a 6-speed down the road to get any kind of reliability. Sure the swap will be a pain in the @ss. But once it's done you won't be grinding any gears. You won't be wincing anytime you shift into 3rd. Nissan has learned its lesson. I can't think of anyone that has blown a gear in any of the post-2001 6-speed manual transmissions. A 4th gen with a 3.5/6-speed is a pretty damn modern all-around car package, despite being 10-12 years old.

If you're afraid of traction and being too hard on the trans, it's not strong enough. Simple as that. I got fed up with all the one-wheel burnouts, inconsistancy, losing many many bracket races (often in the finals!) because the stupid trans simply wouldn't go in second, third or fourth gear.

What's the point of having a powerful car if you can't drive it like you stole it? That's probably the big reason I decided to stuff the engine in the S13 behind the Z33 trans. Bulletproof reliability.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Made in Taiwan

Alright, that's it. I'm a little pissed off with the transmission having a little play. I know it's only a matter of time that this thing is going to go out on me.

I've just bought a 2002 6-speed tranny with flywheel and clutch. I'll need to find the mounts and cable shift assembly now. I need to prep this thing early so that if my tranny ever goes, I can have the 6 speed in there.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM

Alright, that's it. I'm a little pissed off with the transmission having a little play. I know it's only a matter of time that this thing is going to go out on me.

I've just bought a 2002 6-speed tranny with flywheel and clutch. I'll need to find the mounts and cable shift assembly now. I need to prep this thing early so that if my tranny ever goes, I can have the 6 speed in there.
where did you get the tranny from? Junkyard? Hopefully that'll withstand the torque
Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Made in Taiwan

I quoted a power seller on Ebay for it.

It's 2002 6 speed tranny, less than 5k miles as advertised, (I doubt). Includes the tranny, flywheel, and clutch. The moment I phoned Nick about it, he told me to take it right away.

I'm missing the tranny mount with customization and cable shift assembly.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 PM

The cables and shifter are two seperate assemblies.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Hopefully that'll withstand the torque
There isn't a maxima on the planet, n/a or boosted that has challenged the 6-speed's strength so i doubt that'll be an issue.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
There isn't a maxima on the planet, n/a or boosted that has challenged the 6-speed's strength so i doubt that'll be an issue.
Yeah, my point wasn't very clear, sorry about that. I meant that he won't have the problems he might have had due to torque if he would have bought another 5-speed.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:09 AM

Hi Peter, glad to hear the engine is running well and you got all the issues resolved.

If anyone is interested, hear are some pics of the engine build. I had intended to use it in my own ride with 14 psi boost, but stuff happens.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...22&postcount=1

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=25
Old 09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Made in Taiwan

Thanks Mr. Steve, I wasn't planning on posting these pics up here without your consent. But since you bucketed them in here...Thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Made in Taiwan

Guys, I just added some stuff on my thread's first post. It covers a new problem resolved, and a new section "performance/drivability". The reason why I added this so late is I need some time to drive this thing and figure out the obvious differences. The results are quite amazing. Please refer back to post #1 and read it so you can tell me what you think.

-Peter-
Old 09-21-2006, 09:47 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
where did you get the tranny from? Junkyard? Hopefully that'll withstand the torque
the 6 speed wont have a problem at all.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

I just ordered my 3.5. 02 max w/49k $495 plus $155 shipping. I'll be ordering internals, cams and ARP hardware in the coming months, I can't wait to tear into. I probably gonna need your help so if you dont mind, I'll be dropping you some pm's in a bit. BTW nice setup and great detail on the whole built!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
I just ordered my 3.5. 02 max w/49k $495 plus $155 shipping. I'll be ordering internals, cams and ARP hardware in the coming months, I can't wait to tear into. I probably gonna need your help so if you dont mind, I'll be dropping you some pm's in a bit. BTW nice setup and great detail on the whole built!

Thanks a lot Jcy98. I'm sure I'd like to help, but keep in mind, Mine's not a tradition 3.5 swap that everyone else's doing. I got the pathfinder heads on here which allows me to keep my 4th gen intake and fuel setup. This saves lots of trouble and deters my knowledge on the traditional 3.5 swap and the needed conversion on the intake and fuel setup. But keep'm coming, I"ll be glad to help.

Also, you should check up on the original thread once in a while. I'll be doing updates on it about every month. The next thing coming up is Emanage Ultimate, and I"m doing a write up on the install as we speak. Once that's done, that'll go on this thread for info.

-Peter-
Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Thanks a lot Jcy98. I'm sure I'd like to help, but keep in mind, Mine's not a tradition 3.5 swap that everyone else's doing. I got the pathfinder heads on here which allows me to keep my 4th gen intake and fuel setup. This saves lots of trouble and deters my knowledge on the traditional 3.5 swap and the needed conversion on the intake and fuel setup. But keep'm coming, I"ll be glad to help.

Also, you should check up on the original thread once in a while. I'll be doing updates on it about every month. The next thing coming up is Emanage Ultimate, and I"m doing a write up on the install as we speak. Once that's done, that'll go on this thread for info.

-Peter-
Yea my plan is a full built on the 3.5 with 3.5 heads and IM. The managment part already spoke with John @ J&S for about 45mins, it looks like a additional adapter would be needed to make EU and J&S work together. I'm not in a rush to get this built done, its gonna take a few months and I hope to have it done by the first of April or May. Ultimately, I want to have the motor and trans hold up 17-20psi on my GT35R, the motor I'm not worried about as much but the trans is since theres not really a good tranny shop here.
Any help would be great. I'll be checking for updates as things are moving along.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Mods should make this a Sticky.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Made in Taiwan

Update: (EU info added onto the original thread)

Emanage Ultimate installation is complete. Haven't started tuning the car, yet. But the vq30det base map runs, and so far, there's no problems, yet. Somehow, my option on the A/F isn't working on EU. I think I must have forgotten to activate that option on the software side. Out for the weekend watching football games, once I return home to the car, I'll start messing with the software and tune it up. Enjoy modding...
Old 10-07-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
Mods should make this a Sticky.
There's alot of stuff that should be added to that swap sticky, including this. Nice updates......
Old 10-08-2006, 03:59 PM

Hey I couldn't help but notice you're still using the xtd, how is it holding up? I thought that clutch slipped on your serious 3.0 set-up?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Made in Taiwan

it did slip, but that's not the usual slipping. this is a not a forward slip, it's a back ward slip because the engine has dropped rpms too quick due to lightweight drivetrain setup. the fidanza flywheel and the lightweight udp together made the engine rev quick, but it drops as quick, too. So as a result, for the same traveling speed during racing, if the engine dropped off its rpms too fast, you'd have no time to rev it back up to catch the gears, this resulted me in a backwards, stickslip, kinda thing. it's very stupid, but for my 3.5 swap, i just simply used the stock 3.0 pulley because i may install the supercharger kit this coming winter. i'm strongly considering not to install the S/C kit because of reliability issues. But in the same time, I can't stop modding this motor and see where it can go. LOL.

XTD stage 3 runs fine and tidy in my setup. The only thing is that it's a chatter maching at 1st gear. I'd have to rev it close to 2k rpms to catch it without the chatters. This is not a recommended clutch kit for any maxima people. I'm living with it only because I havent' decided to redo my tranny, yet. But once I do, I'll put on a SPEC S3 or Clutchnet's Red 2x.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Made in Taiwan

Quick update and a bump for my thread...

The dyno session has been cancelled from my cheap end. There's a few factors preventing my car to go on a dyno:
1) A/F ratio is constantly between 14.5-14.78, I've never seen my A/F swing out of that range no matter what my throttle or my load is. This is really weird.
2) I'm having a banging semester right now at LSU; and the car is running perfectly strong and sturdy right now. If something happens on the dyno in the midst of my school time, I'd have stones in my kidney soon, and even peeing will hurt.
3) The cheaper dyno event location is further away from my town, after comtemplating, it's the same price if I'd do it in-town. I may just do that later in December.

Sorry guys, I'd like to see some numbers too, but I also want to play safe.

-Peter-