All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI swap, PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:37 PM
10 psi

00VI swap, PCV question

jcy98maxse and I are doing a 00vi swap currently on my car, and I wanted to know what some of you did with the PCV, I wanted to not run it and I am sure i would get a rougher running motor but I dont' think it would affect my performance.

Now, I also am planning on a 3.5 swap (I know I have said this awhile) but it is really going to happen and I will only be running this motor I would say til the end of nov... I don't think that would be long enough for a "long term effect" but I am just curious what some of you did to possibly relocate it to let the manifold sit right.

Did anyone else think that removing the old EGR stuf was a PITA??? Thanks for your help in advance you 00vi over achievers.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Bacon Lover

Some have suggested putting a 90 degree elbow in the hole with a hose running off of it and just putting a PCV valve somewhere along the line in that hose instead of sitting in the manifold. Good luck getting ANYTHING to clear the manifold, though. I came up with a million different solutions in my head and some people even tried them and they do not work. So I'm not sure what to tell you if the elbow trick doesn't work.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Some have suggested putting a 90 degree elbow in the hole with a hose running off of it and just putting a PCV valve somewhere along the line in that hose instead of sitting in the manifold. Good luck getting ANYTHING to clear the manifold, though. I came up with a million different solutions in my head and some people even tried them and they do not work. So I'm not sure what to tell you if the elbow trick doesn't work.
i did the elbow trick and it worked fine, find a 90 degree elbow put it in the valve cover put a hose on that then put pcv in that then run hose off that .

yeah the egr is awful i trashed mine and made a blocking plate . i have a blocking plate with bolts for sale for $10
Old 09-25-2006, 03:48 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by krismax
yeah the egr is awful i trashed mine and made a blocking plate . i have a blocking plate with bolts for sale for $10
Those are definitely my plans I have a plate sitting here next to me as well. Could you possibly tell me what size the bolts are, kris?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:44 PM
10 psi

LOL thats funny about the EGR, I went to home depot already and I made a blocking plate as well and screw the EGR...

I will try the 90 degree elbow, I wonder if not running it would be okay, just because when I pulled off my PCV it was all mesed up anyhow so it probably wasn't working properly.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Those are definitely my plans I have a plate sitting here next to me as well. Could you possibly tell me what size the bolts are, kris?
its 70 MM long (not including head) it takes a 10 mm socket i believe its a 8mm bolt and nut . i put the nut and washer on under the plate so the washer pulls the plate tight against the seal.

i have many nuts and bolts i had to special order those long bolts if you want to buy for cheap ill sell them.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by krismax
its 70 MM long (not including head) it takes a 10 mm socket i believe its a 8mm bolt and nut . i put the nut and washer on under the plate so the washer pulls the plate tight against the seal.

i have many nuts and bolts i had to special order those long bolts if you want to buy for cheap ill sell them.
What long bolts? The ones for the manifold? I already picked those up from Dave B. They were not cheap considering they are bolts
Old 09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Father of the 00 VI

What long bolts? The ones for the manifold? I already picked those up from Dave B. They were not cheap considering they are bolts
the egr spot requires long bolts too and to plug the egr with a plate the 70mm lengh is what youll need
Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

yea, I tried to pull the egr stuff off for him but its the stupidest design ever, the main egr tube from the exhaust is in the way of the bottom bolt on the guide tube and if you just remove the nut instead of the whole screw theres literally no room to remove the guide tube. One must remove the main egr to header tube to make life easier but that task alone is a PITA since most of the bolt are rusted. Blocking off the egr is not a big deal since Kasey's gettng a new motor as am I.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
10 psi

So krismax, are you saying that on the actual 00vi manifold you blocked off as well and had to use some 70mm long botls to seal it?

I have blocked off the main egr and begun to reassemble the LIM etc, i just want to spray my 125shot with my 00vi then this motor will be a good spare to have after my 3.5 swap, in case anything ever happens to it.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by glenmoormax
So krismax, are you saying that on the actual 00vi manifold you blocked off as well and had to use some 70mm long botls to seal it?

I have blocked off the main egr and begun to reassemble the LIM etc, i just want to spray my 125shot with my 00vi then this motor will be a good spare to have after my 3.5 swap, in case anything ever happens to it.
yes with nuts and washers and plate , the two bolts are the same size as stock used for egr guide tube (small)
Old 08-11-2007, 03:27 PM

Sorry to bump up this old *** thread but I have a question. I made a blockoff plate for my upper IM and put it on. Now what do I do with the rest of the 4th gen EGR stuff? Do I need to block off any other holes?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Sorry to bump up this old *** thread but I have a question. I made a blockoff plate for my upper IM and put it on. Now what do I do with the rest of the 4th gen EGR stuff? Do I need to block off any other holes?
If you don't feel like physically removing all the EGR equipment (like I initially did) then you can make a plate to go on the actual EGR valve itself. If you want to remove ALL the equipment, you'll need a block-off plate for the rear exhaust manifold (or you may have to weld it shut, I can't remember...)
Old 08-12-2007, 02:49 PM

If you don't feel like physically removing all the EGR equipment (like I initially did) then you can make a plate to go on the actual EGR valve itself. If you want to remove ALL the equipment, you'll need a block-off plate for the rear exhaust manifold (or you may have to weld it shut, I can't remember...)
Thanks I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I can see this will be the most complicated part of my swap.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Bacon Lover

Thanks I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I can see this will be the most complicated part of my swap.
If you don't remove everything it's real easy. If you do choose to remove everything (like I likely will this fall) it's a tad more difficult.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Knowing first why you're doing what you're doing might help to first understand how you're going to do it. I have the entire emissions control system(s) hooked up and functioning as intended. But then maybe that approach is too easy.