All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

SS Autochrome Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:09 AM

SS Autochrome Headers

Are they worth their salt in terms of mods???? Keeping in mind the price difference between them and the Cattman headers.

Any opinions from anyone using them????
Old 10-30-2006, 07:13 AM
dot dot dot ...

HS, CM > SSAC.

Spend wisely and get Cattman or HotShot.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:34 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

I have them, no complaints as of yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have them as well. No complaints here either. A bit of a deeper tone out of the exhaust. A cleaner look off the engine for sure.

If your looking for pure power out of the headers, get OBX, Cattmans. If your just looking for a replacement with a few HP to boot, get the SS autochromes. I got them beaucse the Cattmans are $850. I really wanted the Cattmans though.

-matt
Old 10-30-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by VQ20
Are they worth their salt in terms of mods???? Keeping in mind the price difference between them and the Cattman headers.

Any opinions from anyone using them????
Just going by your screen name, is the motor youre refering to a VQ20? If it is, I would be inquiring on which ones will fit. If this is not an issue, then do it right the first time. The massive gains will justify the cost twice over with a good set. I believe this is not something to try to take the cheap way out. With the cheap sets, your not looking at much bigger gains than with a good y-pipe alone. I dont know if HotShots fit on a 4th gen, but if they do, youre talking about saving $250-300? For more than twice the gain, I'd spend the $250-$300. Even if Cattman is the only option, it is a far better choice.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by clborden
Just going by your screen name, is the motor youre refering to a VQ20? If it is, I would be inquiring on which ones will fit. If this is not an issue, then do it right the first time. The massive gains will justify the cost twice over with a good set. I believe this is not something to try to take the cheap way out. With the cheap sets, your not looking at much bigger gains than with a good y-pipe alone. I dont know if HotShots fit on a 4th gen, but if they do, youre talking about saving $250-300? For more than twice the gain, I'd spend the $250-$300. Even if Cattman is the only option, it is a far better choice.

I believe he is going to use the headers for a vq35 swap.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
brotherhood of tq

the minor gains going from ss to cm isnt worth the 2x+ price difference imho
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM

u might b right? or hotshot to cm, 4 that matter
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
he speaks the truth. I've experienced both, it's not worth it.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Hoooper

maybe so, but the price jump to hotshot isnt nearly that of the jump to cattman. i say make some power and get the hotshots. cheap(er) and effective

Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 PM

The sound itself makes it worth it on it's own, IMO. A Cattman/HS equipped max sounds like a V6 SHOULD sound. I had the dump truck sounding deep-ar$e tone on my last max and am running as far away from it as i can with this one.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by nismology
I had the dump truck sounding deep-ar$e tone on my last max and am running as far away from it as i can with this one
Every time I start my A32, I hear this.

And I want to run away as far as I possible could....

But then I start my 03 and things just turn for the better.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 PM
brotherhood of tq

The sound itself makes it worth it on it's own, IMO. A Cattman/HS equipped max sounds like a V6 SHOULD sound. I had the dump truck sounding deep-ar$e tone on my last max and am running as far away from it as i can with this one.
inside my car...my car sounds fine to me. if i wanted a car that had a very nice exhaust sound a maxima wouldn't be the car i would buy
Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 PM

inside my car...my car sounds fine to me. if i wanted a car that had a very nice exhaust sound a maxima wouldn't be the car i would buy
Predictable maxima bashing. And notice how i said how a V6 should sound? Of course not...

Furthermore, why are you taking it so personally?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 PM
4th gen <3

Predictable maxima bashing. And notice how i said how a V6 should sound? Of course not...

Down syndrome I believe.

(so much <3, swear.)
Old 10-31-2006, 05:06 AM

Hotshots, middle ground. I had the cattmans but paid like 650$ for the headers back then (like, two years ago) because of a 10% discount from buying over a grand total.

It's really too bad that the good FWD headers are so ******* expensive. I feel bad for you guys. I paid 190$cnd shipped to my door for two RWD, equal-length, chrome, stainless, ceramic coated headers. New! [/huge jerk]
Old 10-31-2006, 12:38 PM
brotherhood of tq

maybe you can climb off your maxima high horse for a sec and realize that their are somethings people don't look for when getting a maxima. exhaust note is one of them. how can i take it personally if i don't even have headers to begin with. all i was saying was that inside of my car it sounds fine, if it sounds like azz as i'm driving away form someone why should i care.

unlike you i don't beat off to everything made by nissan nor do i follow the tool box crowd you do.if i see something i don't like i mention it.

also the way a v6 or any motor should sound is without any exhaust on it. thats how you can tell how a motor sounds. all headers do is make you car sound a certain way through an exhaust.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:23 PM

maybe you can climb off your maxima high horse for a sec and realize that their are somethings people don't look for when getting a maxima. exhaust note is one of them.
All i said was that a header-equipped maxima sounds better than one without. What fawking high horse are you reffering to? Wow wow wow.....
how can i take it personally if i don't even have headers to begin with. all i was saying was that inside of my car it sounds fine, if it sounds like azz as i'm driving away form someone why should i care.
Once again, what does that have to do with my statement? All i said was headers sound better to me and that in itself justifies the price IMO.
unlike you i don't beat off to everything made by nissan nor do i follow the tool box crowd you do.
WTF does this have to do with my original post??? Read much?
if i see something i don't like i mention it.
What exactly don't you like? The way a V6 sounds? If so, your post was irrelevant.
also the way a v6 or any motor should sound is without any exhaust on it. thats how you can tell how a motor sounds. all headers do is make you car sound a certain way through an exhaust.
WTF????????? HOLY HELL. What does this have to do with ANYTHING?? I don't care what a motor sounds like with no exhaust. I like a motor to sound as good as it can sound, and with a V6 that means equal-length from both banks to the muffler tip.

Dude it seems like your reading comprehension needs alot of work. You just spout off crap even if it has no relation with the post you're responding to...

EDIT: Don't bother responding. You've been placed on ignore...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 PM

back to topic.... I am looking into headers myself for my 3.5 and since I want to use my WSP Y, I am curious to learn whether or not the headers alone will fit my WSP Y? or would I have to purchase the OBX or SS y pipes....
Old 10-31-2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by jaemax
back to topic.... I am looking into headers myself for my 3.5 and since I want to use my WSP Y, I am curious to learn whether or not the headers alone will fit my WSP Y? or would I have to purchase the OBX or SS y pipes....

Uhmm when you buy headers either from hotsoht or cattman(MADE IN THE USA), or the ob,ss (SAME COMPANY IN CHINA MAKES THESE JUST DIFFERENT DISTRIBUTOR) they come with the y-pipe. Ur wsp y pipe will not work with any of these.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
I believe he is going to use the headers for a vq35 swap.

yes i am doing a 3.5 full swap. Engine should be hear nx week. I am going from the 2.0 to the 3.5 so i can't use back the stock exhaust because it is very restrictive. It's only 2" i believe.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by VQ20
yes i am doing a 3.5 full swap. Engine should be hear nx week. I am going from the 2.0 to the 3.5 so i can't use back the stock exhaust because it is very restrictive. It's only 2" i believe.
When you say "full" do you mean w/ECU?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

When you say "full" do you mean w/ECU?
I had the same question...
Old 11-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Over on .net, lots of guys with 02's -04's have the ss auto chrome and have not had any real issues. Good quality and decent welds for the money.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM

I think people get paranoid when they see exhaust/header stuff so cheap. A lot of the "crap" on ebay is surprisingly good.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I had the same question...

Yes. I bought a front half of a I35 with everything i need.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:55 AM

Nice to see you're doing this the right way I would have loved to have a smashed 5.5 gen, 6-speed leather and all.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

Can it be possible that SS auto chrome is OBX the same ???

http://www.ssautochrome.com/search.i...ryTitle=maxima

i was looking if i can only buy headers since i have a ypipe
Old 11-02-2006, 07:08 AM

Wish i had gotten a 5-speed or 6-speed to go along with it. But u no the I35 neva came with manual option. So hopefully i can get a full conversion for manual in the future.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by hightuner
Can it be possible that SS auto chrome is OBX the same ???

http://www.ssautochrome.com/search.i...ryTitle=maxima

i was looking if i can only buy headers since i have a ypipe
I dont think you can use the y-pipe. As far as I know, the y-pipe is specific to the header/manifold set. Go to the 5th gen header sticky. There are all of the opinions of org.ers that have already traveled the road. For the small amount more, HotShot vs. SSAutoChrome, many people have had tremendous success with the HotShots. My opinion is to not try to re-invent the wheel. Even if the SSAC's give some gains, the HS are giving lots more. Do it right the first time.