All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

cam adapters problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well this certainly great news. I already have no time as it is,now it sounds like i will be going back in the timing cover sometime in the near future.

I have almost 9k on my adaptors, fixed.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:48 AM

A one piece adapter is not really feasible from a manufacturing cost standpoint unless you are talking about a weldment.

All you need to do is make the spacer portion out of steel and press fit a couple of the correct sized dowel pins into it.
Press fitting may not even be necessary if they are captive pins once the assembly is together. I believe the cam side pin is but i am not sure about the sprocket.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 AM
SC Overspinning Swapper!!

Subscribing. At about 25K since swap (and spacers), I think I may have more miles than other 3.5 4th gen swap. No problems thus fur.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stabone
well this certainly great news. I already have no time as it is,now it sounds like i will be going back in the timing cover sometime in the near future.

I have almost 9k on my spacers
Come on guys, we need to make a distinction here between spacers and adapters.

As I said eariler, if you have drilled cams and spacers with proper dowel pins, you will not have a problem.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by SDot82
It happened to me to (not with stephen max's adaptors).
So is this a second case?

Anybody know how many swaps have been done using this type of adapter?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by meximax
Subscribing. At about 25K since swap (and spacers), I think I may have more miles than other 3.5 4th gen swap. No problems thus fur.

Do you have adapters or spacers with drilled cams?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 AM
csb

Just a quick update on my situation. I spoke with the shop today and they are going to fabricate a set of adaptors/spacers from solid steel with no welds (and hopefully work it into the already-quoted cost). Additionally, I may have them replace the original timing chain while they're at it. My comment to them: "I don't ever want to be into the timing case again!". Their comment to me: "Based on physical inspection, they have no trouble believing that the aluminum adaptors/spacers would fail after a certain amount of time...certainly before the other timing-area components". Like I said, I'm sooooooooooo glad I stumbled upon this thread. My sympathies to the other(s) who have had to endure this.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 AM

dude this totally blows for me...i have been working on this swap outside my house since march and finally got it working. It's freaken winter now and i have to work on my car outside in the cold due to these cam adapters. When i got these cam adapters, the spacers themselves were very light compared to the JWT ones. maybe if an adapter was made from the jwt spacers or steel spacers this would not have happened. Sometime must be one to the production process to ensure that someone does not get screwed over like i did.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:11 AM
csb

I feel ur pain. While I did the swap myself, I decided to hire a shop for this job because #1) I'm in Minneapolis and it's getting freakin' cold, and #2) I wanted the shop to guarantee the work for a year, at least.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by csb
Just a quick update on my situation. I spoke with the shop today and they are going to fabricate a set of adaptors/spacers from solid steel with no welds (and hopefully work it into the already-quoted cost). Additionally, I may have them replace the original timing chain while they're at it. My comment to them: "I don't ever want to be into the timing case again!". Their comment to me: "Based on physical inspection, they have no trouble believing that the aluminum adaptors/spacers would fail after a certain amount of time...certainly before the other timing-area components". Like I said, I'm sooooooooooo glad I stumbled upon this thread. My sympathies to the other(s) who have had to endure this.

ask them how much would it cost them to make one and ship it to me this week :-D
Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 AM
csb

Actually, they just called me w/ an update. They're going to drill the cams, remove the dowel pins and use the adaptors just as spacers instead. This way, I won't have any problems. You may want to send yours to Tilleys (or find a local shop who can/will drill them, as Tilleys is apparently hard to reach).
Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned

I have a set of stock 3.5 cams from my engine with only 10k on them. They were drilled by Tillys99 but then I decided to install the JDM cams so they are available if I have any offers.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 AM

The hole is already on there. The thing is...i should not be spending any more money on making new adapters or something..i hope something can be worked out.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:55 AM

What did Stephenmax say? This may steer me and others away from the swap if something doesnt prove to be reliable...basically right now spacers and drilled cams will be the most reliable, just not the easiest?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:59 AM

haven't received a reply from him yet...at the moment, yes getting your cams drilled is the best route but not the easiest.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 AM

Is it possible that I could continue using the aluminum spacer , but drill out the screw and drill into the cam and place a dowel to go through the spacer into the cam?

Just a matter of knowing whether the aluminum is strong enough?

This might be a weekend project for me before it gets really cold.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Is there a picture of where to drill the cams. Or csb when you do get them drilled can you send a picture out. In this way all people would have to do is go to a machine show to get them drilled.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by eng92
So is this a second case?

Anybody know how many swaps have been done using this type of adapter?
The adaptors i used were not stephmax's, but they still failed. Now that I now that Stephmax's may fail I will just drill my cams. I'll just remove the screw from the adaptor, put it on the cam drill and use a oem dowel pin.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
csb

No problem. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:55 AM

you don't have to drill the screw out or anything. It's a hex screw and you can just twist it out.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM
csb

The guy at the shop just asked me a question about the positioning of the spacer holes which I don't feel I can answer. Is there anyone out there who is very familiar with this process (I've already PM'ed StephenMax) that wouldn't mind a quick phone call from them to ask their question (it relates to the position's effect on timing, etc.)? Either that or I can leave their number and you can give them a quick call. I guess I'll just leave the name/number: Alexander's Imports/Ben/612-729-2516. Thx...Steve.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:10 AM

closer shot of the spacer. The hole is totally destroyed. it's widened and thread are destroyed.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:17 PM

well stephen is not going to say that it the cam spacer that cost the problem. He's saying that i didn't torque down to spec even though i told him already that i did. Hope everyone sleep well with their car using the adapters.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
csb

First...let me say that I have absolutely nothing against StephenMax. He's always been great to deal with. BUT...I personally don't feel comfortable keeping things as they are with this new bit of knowledge. That's why I had the shop drill the cams, etc. Of course, it was easier in my situation as they had the case open for a secondary tensioner/chain replacement. I sincerely hope no one else has this problem.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Biggs_02
well stephen is not going to say that it the cam spacer that cost the problem. He's saying that i didn't torque down to spec even though i told him already that i did. Hope everyone sleep well with their car using the adapters.

. . . . I'll try
Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 AM

but so many people have had the adapters 4 a while with no problems, so it could b that ur paticular adapter was defective, I guess only time will tell
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM

I'm still buying them. If it was the quality or the design of it, I think we would have heard way more similar incidents.

Just sent the payment yesterday....
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM

Since StephenMax is saying that it's not his fault he obviously does not stand behind his work. From the looks of it, the aluminum is too weak. Besides it's not like he spent hours upon hours R & D ing. Good luck to all.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:12 PM
VK56 Inside

Originally Posted by Evilchipmunk
Since StephenMax is saying that it's not his fault he obviously does not stand behind his work. From the looks of it, the aluminum is too weak. Besides it's not like he spent hours upon hours R & D ing. Good luck to all.
I was the lab rat for Stephen's first VQ35 swap. Done over 1 year ago (May of 2005). I have over 30,000 miles on my swap with no problems. He has done countless other things for my car (bearings, transmission swap, etc.) I have had no problems with any of his work or communication. Just because there is one problem with one peice of his product doesnt mean that he doesnt stand behind his work or doesnt know what he is doing. I think you should do a little more research on his contributions to the community before you start devalueing his reputation.

This is why we are starting to lose a lot of the "contributors" to the Maxima Community. One person has a problem and then the bandwagon effect takes place. People that dont even know the full history or scope of the situation chime in with stuff like what you said. We lost Redline, Blehmco seems to be one the way out, FC is gone...................
Old 11-07-2006, 12:26 PM
csb

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. People (generally speaking) are, indeed, very quick to judge based on little/no personal experience. Who's to say that the spacer-in-question failed due to a defect in manufacturing or because things weren't installed properly? I know I'm not! This is why I prefaced what I wrote above by saying that I have absolutely no problem with StephenMax or the quality of his work. In fact, I'm perfectly happy with the spacers/adaptors he made for me. I, being an opportunist, am simply taking full advantage of the fact that my timing case is currently off to have the cams drilled (something I originally wanted, but thought that only Tilleys would do). Oh, BTW, I fully realize that the above post was, in no way, directed toward me...just contributing my $.02.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Dubbya
I was the lab rat for Stephen's first VQ35 swap. Done over 1 year ago (May of 2005). I have over 30,000 miles on my swap with no problems.

But you had the cams drilled and used spacers, not this adapter.... correct?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
VK56 Inside

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
But you had the cams drilled and used spacers, not this adapter.... correct?
Correct. Which is why I have said nothing about the adapters. The only reason I posted was to credit his workmanship and knowledge.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MaxBlack97
but so many people have had the adapters 4 a while with no problems, so it could b that ur paticular adapter was defective, I guess only time will tell
I agree. Many others are ususing his adapters, should a rash of this begin to occur then there is cause for concern, but for now what ever the reason for the adapter breaking it might end up being limited to this one vehicle.

You have to be kidding. One out of many sets he made goes wrong and now he doesn’t stand behind his work. If you look at the adapters the aluminum may appear to be “weak” but its torques between the end of the cams and the cam bolt. Torques to about 89 ft/lbs. How strong of a metal is needed for something that is sandwiched between two solid pieces of metal??

how would you know how much time was spend with R&D. who says hours and hours are needed for R&D? Might want to think about that before lashing out with such weak statements
Old 11-07-2006, 01:17 PM

Three posts and you're already talking out of place. STFU n00b. I back StephenMax's work 100%, he has always been good to me and countless other people on the org. Unless this becomes more widespread, no one should worry about their spacers just yet.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM

Wow. I can't believe what your saying. There should be no reason to discredit someone. That's not what the maxima community is about. This is just one case, but its still a case and will be noted. Do some research.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM

I'm actually not to worried about this to be honest. If something happens with the adaptor, I already have a fix. I will not stop driving my car over a small chance of something that MIGHT happen. I need to see more adaptors having this problem first.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Custom User Title

It has happend twice I believe. Not with Stephen Max's adapters though.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
You have to be kidding. One out of many sets he made goes wrong and now he doesn’t stand behind his work. If you look at the adapters the aluminum may appear to be “weak” but its torques between the end of the cams and the cam bolt. Torques to about 89 ft/lbs. How strong of a metal is needed for something that is sandwiched between two solid pieces of metal??
So basically you are saying that it's ok for one spacer to go wrong? Shouldn't StephenMax at least send him a new spacer? If he stood behind his work that is what he should have done. This may very well be a fluke but for the trouble of opening the timing case and doing all this BS work over again, I think he deserves a NEW set.

How many people have actually used the cam adaptors to do this swap? 1 out of 50 being defective is still 2% and seriously, the margin of error should be at 0%. No one deserves to get nailed in the *** and then get nothing back.

Look at my join date =D. Post count has nothing to do with Noobness. I'm sure I know more **** then half you people here.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Custom User Title

I agree with chipmunk. :P

I don't think it's right for Stephan Max to say that Biggs didn't torque it down right... considering he followed the FSM, and sending him a new one shouldn't be that big of a deal..
Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 PM

Look at my join date =D. Post count has nothing to do with Noobness. I'm sure I know more **** then half you people here.
I was following you until you said this. Your join date means nothing. There are people that have been on this site for years that are still 's.

Quick Reply: cam adapters problems