All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.5 swap: fuel pump not priming

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

3.5 swap: fuel pump not priming

I'm done putting everything back together w/o IACV & EVAP & EGR. So I go ahead and go start car, but I don't hear the fuel pump priming. I started the car anyways and it cranks but doesn't fire. Since I did not hear fuel pump priming, first thing I did was check all the main ground wires. All the main ground wires seems to be ok. So what do you guys think it will cause fuel pump to not work?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by juani
I'm done putting everything back together w/o IACV & EVAP & EGR. So I go ahead and go start car, but I don't hear the fuel pump priming. I started the car anyways and it cranks but doesn't fire. Since I did not hear fuel pump priming, first thing I did was check all the main ground wires. All the main ground wires seems to be ok. So what do you guys think it will cause fuel pump to not work?

Are you getting any FP at all? What AFPR are you using?

EDIT: I see from a previous post that you are using the ebay afpr. That may be your problem right there. I know a few orgers who have had problems with using the ebay afpr on the 3.5 swap and other 3.0 high hp installs. The damn things just do not work. Also, make sure that your fuel lines are set up properly in and out of the afpr. When I originally installed my nismo afpr, the lines were backwards. Luckily, nismology pointed that out to me in a picture that I sent him.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

My fuel pump actually primes but I'm not getting any fuel pressure on the fuel line. here's how my fuel line is set up. Fuel filter outlet ->T connector -> one leg to unmodified fuel rail, and other leg to inlet of FPR inlet -> FPR outlet to fuel return line. I think I have fuel lines set up properly.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:01 AM

There is two things it could be:

1. Fuel lines connected to the FPR are backwards.
2. Ebay AFPR is bad, like I've been saying all along.

If you don't have any pressure at all, then you need to change the lines going to the afpr. In other words, you have the outlet from the rail going into the outlet on the AFPR, and the inlet from the AFPR going to the return line. Make sure you're playing with the adjustment screw as well. Once you see that tiny buildup of pressure, you know you have the lines the right way. If you never see the buildup of pressure on the gauge, you have a bad AFPR.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

I was stupid enough to not adjust FPR to have pressure on it. FPR was fully open which couldn't build any fuel pressure on the fuel line. Do I have to relieve pressure on fuel line to re-adjust the FPR? Mine's running at about 40 psi and I can't screw in the adjuster anymore. I'm assuming even with about 40 psi pressure on fuel line, the car should start up, but mine doesn't. I think it's the CPS that's not reading the flywheel correctly. What do you guys think??
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM

I was stupid enough to not adjust FPR to have pressure on it. FPR was fully open which couldn't build any fuel pressure on the fuel line. Do I have to relieve pressure on fuel line to re-adjust the FPR? Mine's running at about 40 psi and I can't screw in the adjuster anymore. I'm assuming even with about 40 psi pressure on fuel line, the car should start up, but mine doesn't. I think it's the CPS that's not reading the flywheel correctly. What do you guys think??

You still have a fuel problem. You should be able to jack the fuel pressure up to around 60+psi easily. Did you flip the hoses around like I told you to, and at least eliminate the possibility? I'm still betting it's a faulty FPR.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

I'm just wondering why you're saying that flip the hoses around, when you actually said if the pressure build up on FPR, all the hoses are set up right.
Also, is it possible to close the adjuster screw all the way in so there's no flow of fuel going through the FPR?
I'm gonna play around with adjust screw to see if I can build up more pressure.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 AM

I'm just wondering why you're saying that flip the hoses around, when you actually said if the pressure build up on FPR, all the hoses are set up right.
Also, is it possible to close the adjuster screw all the way in so there's no flow of fuel going through the FPR?
I'm gonna play around with adjust screw to see if I can build up more pressure.

When you have pressure build up to only 40psi, you still have a problem. I'm saying it's never a bad idea to try to flip the hoses.

I'm not sure if you can completely cut all fuel going to that FPR. Give it a shot.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

You were right, ebay FPR is POS!!! It's not only increasing the pressure above 40 psi, also not holding the pressure. It slowly loses pressure.
so I'm gonna get a NISMO FPR. I looked at the picture of NISMO FPR on courtesy parts online, and it doesn't have built in pressure gauge. Does this mean I have to get a separate gauge to see the pressure on my fuel line?
Also which NISMO FPR am I supposed to get? I see two of them on courtesy parts. One is for 240sx, stanza, altima, sentra and 200sx, and other one is for 300zx, frontier, and Xterra.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 PM

You were right, ebay FPR is POS!!! It's not only increasing the pressure above 40 psi, also not holding the pressure. It slowly loses pressure.
so I'm gonna get a NISMO FPR. I looked at the picture of NISMO FPR on courtesy parts online, and it doesn't have built in pressure gauge. Does this mean I have to get a separate gauge to see the pressure on my fuel line?
Also which NISMO FPR am I supposed to get? I see two of them on courtesy parts. One is for 240sx, stanza, altima, sentra and 200sx, and other one is for 300zx, frontier, and Xterra.

Get this one: 22670-RR710US

Yes, you're going to have to get a pressure gauge. Go to any speed shop and get a standard autometer one with a standard size fitting, like seen here on my fuel lines, and tee it in:

By the way, I believe that my fpr was on backwards in this picture.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:03 PM

check for leaks and also use teflon tape if none was used. My AFPR had was loose and had no teflon to seal up the AFPR good.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

Fortunately I had a friend who happened to have NISMO FPR for sale, so I bought it off of him for $60
I went to local auto parts store to buy fuel pressure gauge, but they only had cheap oil, boost, voltage gauges. Will oil pressure gauge will work?

Originally Posted by MDeezy
check for leaks and also use teflon tape if none was used. My AFPR had was loose and had no teflon to seal up the AFPR good.
mine doesn't have any leaks, but I'm gonna trash POS eBay FPR and install NISMO FPR. I see that you used teflon tape on the T-connector which I did also, but did you also use it on the FPR fittings?

also can I please get some detailed good resolution(something bigger than 1024x768) pictures of you guys' engine bay?
I need to check my hose connections. Thanks in advance.

John