All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Help with VAFC2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help with VAFC2

Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure where to post this. It was either here or in the 5th Gen. But I think I'm in the right section. I own a 2002 maxima auto.

I just order the Apexi V-AFC2, and after reading around it does not seem to be to difficult to install.

I actually called a shop to quote me for the intallation, they wanted $237.00 for the wiring, mounting, setup, etc... The dyno tune session runs $150.00. After I saw the price, I'm just going to try and install it myself.

I searched for a diagram, which I found this one.

EDIT: I just notice this one is for he SAFC

I believe I saw another diagram that was bigger and easier to read, but I can't find it now.

I'm in the list for the new Cattman headers, hopefully they will be shipping soon. Also I decided to get my send my ECU to get it reflash L-SPec at TechnoSquare Inc.
http://www.technosquareinc.com/limited.htm

I went with the VAFC2 since it has been posted that its better due to its 24 tuning points. I read through some of the post that there were people switching between pin 73 to 83 for the throttle because it was displaying 93% instead of 100% when WOT.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...37&postcount=1

Also there was some hesitation when pressing the gas pedal, the car would kick after 1 second later it was said was due to the VAFC2.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=38

Has there been solutions for this or workaround?? I really will apreciated for any info, advice you guys gives.

EDIT: I found the bigger diagram.
Thanks,
Old 12-01-2006, 06:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Utsutsu
I read through some of the post that there were people switching between pin 73 to 83 for the throttle because it was displaying 93% instead of 100% when WOT.
Pin # 73 reads the pedal (APPS) and pin 83 reads the absolute throttle valve position (TPS).
Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 PM

I read through some of the post that there were people switching between pin 73 to 83 for the throttle because it was displaying 93% instead of 100% when WOT.
That was me. It shouldn't matter which pin you use, although there is some DBW lag between the two. Regardless, the throttle reading has nothing to do with whether you pick the TPS or APPS. I did the throttle relearn and it read 100% just fine.

Also there was some hesitation when pressing the gas pedal, the car would kick after 1 second later it was said was due to the VAFC2.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=38
Again, that was me. It was much worse than just hesitation actually, had major torque loss too, but it was probably due to a bad harness or connection so the MAF signal was messed up. I never had time to resolve it and the VAFC-II is off the car because I have other plans now.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:17 PM

Btw, I was the only one with issues, Sloppymax, Steven88, and Deckdout2 had no issues with their VAFC-IIs. In fact, I mailed my VAFC-II to Deckdout and it worked fine on his car. I also tried another VAFC-II on my car (with the same harness) and had the same crappy results, which is why I concluded the harness or connection was messed up.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:04 AM

I went with the VAFC2 since it has been posted that its better due to its 24 tuning points. I read through some of the post that there were people switching between pin 73 to 83 for the throttle because it was displaying 93% instead of 100% when WOT.

Once my carpet was in the way which prevent 100% throttle but mainly the Unit has to learn what 100% throttle. This is performed by hold the throttle all the way open for 10 seconds, then closed for 10 seconds, repeat atleast 3 times, keey an eye on the display it will show when it reads 100% throttle.

ninja edit: now that I re-read I realize this was somewhat of an issue on the 5.5th gens
Old 12-02-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info, I just want to be aware of whatever problems I might encounter and how to fix them when I install the VAFC2. I almost forgot got to and buy a soldering gun.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Once my carpet was in the way which prevent 100% throttle but mainly the Unit has to learn what 100% throttle. This is performed by hold the throttle all the way open for 10 seconds, then closed for 10 seconds, repeat atleast 3 times, keey an eye on the display it will show when it reads 100% throttle.
It reads votlage, then converts it to % actually. So you pressing the pedal down that times was probably clearing any gunk you had on your throttle plate and anywhere in between the pedal, cable, and flap.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It reads votlage, then converts it to % actually. So you pressing the pedal down that times was probably clearing any gunk you had on your throttle plate and anywhere in between the pedal, cable, and flap.
throttle body and all springs had been cleaned, free of debris. I saw on the unit as I held the throttle all the way open, the voltage fluctuate and slowly rise.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MDeezy
the voltage fluctuate and slowly rise
It may not be connected properly. I had this same issue with mine.

Again it's on my A33B (TBW). The V (%) would fluctuate all across the board, and my car wouldn't go anywhere (blame it on TBW not geting the correct V)..
Old 12-04-2006, 12:16 PM

sorry not the voltage the throttle % read out on the VAFC2. the voltage was stable. After WOT -> 0 throttle -> WOT etc a few times the VAFC2 read 100% every time I floored it. this proceedure is outline in the VAFC2 pdf on apexi's web site.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

TBW, at times > me