All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Best resonator to get rid of droning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
大陆弟弟

Best resonator to get rid of droning?

Right now I have a HKS sport muffler with a resonator-less b-pipe. It sounds great, but is way too loud, and between 2,000-2,500rpm it drones like a ****.

So I am either going to get a custom b-pipe made, or just buy a Cattman one. *IF* I was going custom, I was wondering which is the resonator most would recommend? The list I have right now is:

1. Magnaflow - 5" round, 22" length
2. Cattman resonator in the GB section - 22" length
3. Aeroexhaust AR25 - this resonator is used on E46 M3s to get rid of rasp, and after videos shows that it did a great job, but is only 14" length.

Which would you take? Any others you recommend instead? Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Made in Taiwan

Either get Cattman's resonator + Cattman muffler as a combo, or go back to stock because any other Catback setup is pretty loud. The only quieter one I know besides the Cattman's is Greddy SP2 Catback, but I still believe that Cattman is the qietest for the performance you'll get from upgrading Catbacks.

That droning isn't solely from your B-pipe, I hope you understand this. It's really the muffler that contributes to the greater part of this acoustic problem. If you dont' want to dump money, you should just go back to stock muffler, your drones will go away.

-Peter-
Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 PM
大陆弟弟

I know the drone is not solely because of the b-pipe, but since I have nothing there right now it is really loud. Thus, I need a resonator to quiet things down, I know the drone will still be there, but not as bad. And while Cattman makes a nice exhaust, I don't like the single walled tips
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Made in Taiwan

大陆弟, "brother from mainland?" cool, I'm from the formosa island. LOL.

Well, then you can get that new B-pipe from Cattman. That b-pipe alone was accoustically tested in the facilities to have stock like quietness but less restriction to flow. That's what I'd get.

-Peter-
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 PM
大陆弟弟

What part of Taiwan? My gf is from Taipei, along with a bunch of friends, although one is from Kaoshiung (spl?)
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Cattman b pipe + stock rear section =

I'm from New Mexico.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I'm from New Mexico.
Agreed...

Originally Posted by n3985
What part of Taiwan? My gf is from Taipei, along with a bunch of friends, although one is from Kaoshiung (spl?)
I'm also from Taipei, been here since 91, I'm a citizen now. I'm twice more American than they are, the Americans say. I'm longing to go back and visit, though. Jay Zhou music ring any bell?

-Peter-
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

I'm from New Mexico.
This summer I'll have the same exhaust setup as you. Cattman Headers + B FTMFW!

And I would get the cattman, just because Brian is such a contriubtion to the maxima community. I just got off the phone with him and every detail was clearly laid out, and I got some good prices!

And Peter, Union lab sucks...I can't even study with all this noise
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
This summer I'll have the same exhaust setup as you. Cattman Headers + B FTMFW!

And I would get the cattman, just because Brian is such a contriubtion to the maxima community. I just got off the phone with him and every detail was clearly laid out, and I got some good prices!

And Peter, Union lab sucks...I can't even study with all this noise
Look, kid, i dont' know who you are, always jacking after my posts and talk crap. And "FTMFW?" you better take the MF outta that one. I don't appreciate none of your profanities up in here...J/K LMAO...

Yeah, I know union lab sucks. Just bare with this semester, it's half way done already. You only have a couple more weeks to go. next semester, I'll pull strings to put you in CEBA completely.

So, you're getting headers, huh? Thought you're alwasy too dirt poor to get headers. Great to hear that. Hey, I got my car back just now. It is so slooooow. Boy do I miss that 3.5...hence supercharging.

-Peter-
Old 02-28-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by GodFather
Look, kid, i dont' know who you are, always jacking after my posts and talk crap. And "FTMFW?" you better take the MF outta that one. I don't appreciate none of your profanities up in here...J/K LMAO...

Yeah, I know union lab sucks. Just bare with this semester, it's half way done already. You only have a couple more weeks to go. next semester, I'll pull strings to put you in CEBA completely.

So, you're getting headers, huh? Thought you're alwasy too dirt poor to get headers. Great to hear that. Hey, I got my car back just now. It is so slooooow. Boy do I miss that 3.5...hence supercharging.

-Peter-
at headers...not quite. I just got the fastcat to replace my broken one and some bushings and motor mounts. Headers + B-pipe coming this summer.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by GodFather
I was jsut about to pop out the -->

Originally Posted by NmexMAX's sob exhaust story
I went through quite a struggle with my 4th gen.

I had an equal length system similar to our headers and saw that it wasn't loud in the car, nor outside, but once a certain point was reached both engine with respect to position to the rear of the car, it get's quite raspy, but again, I do not even hear the slight rumble in the car.

This is definitely due to the equal length system. The reason being is because I changed the equal length system to an unequal length system on my 4th gen and now have a deep tractor type of sound. No rasp, but very unrefined.

My 5th gen is giving me the old equal length rasp I once had with my 4th gen (no rumble, bu rasp) now with the addition of the test pipe.

What I did for my 4th gen is added a quieter muffler, nope didn't help. Then I added a 26" so called resonator. Sounded beautful. had the equal length harmonics, but no rasp. But the reason it was so called a resonator, because by definition, It was not a resonator, but merely a louvered core unit.

A resonator I found is a perforated core with no louvers, which resonates some sound but not the sound frequencies I want.

A louvered cored piece has the broadest range of frequency resonation, therefore is classified as a muffler. But it deadens the sounds I want gone, for my 4th gen it did anyhow.

It made sense qualitativley when I had my 4th gen, and now I'mm looking at the quantitative end of it, and it makes even more sense now. Only thing is that I have seen some places where the louvers can introduce more back pressure than even a stock muffler.

There have also been some people saying that it all depends on which way you install the louvers.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM

Oversize louvered core FT?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM

WTF is that quote. WOW I'm perplexed.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

That quote is exactly as titled. It was an email I sent out. So it wasn't really counted as a reply to the OP, therefore it has the title.