All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

another 3.5 timing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:54 AM

another 3.5 timing question

I finished up my 3.5 swap a week ago or so. And it wouldnt run correctly, I figured out that my timing was off, I am not quite sure why, I have a feeling the tensioner is the culprit, as i could hear it when i was cranking the engine... So the last few days i pulled the cover off in the car. What a pain in the ***, it would of been easier to pull the engine in my opinion. But i am setting up my timing again right now and I cant help but wonder, When you setting up the secondary cam timing chains (the small chains) Your supposed to set the cam dowl pins to an 12 O clock position. But I am pretty sure I set stevenmax's spacer/adaptor to a 12 O clock position. I've been thinking about this for some time and I cant figure out what to do, or if it would even matter because as long as the cams are timed together and dots are lined up it wouldnt make a difference. I need some help guys, thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you tilt your head down real low you will see two little round protusions on the inner timing cover that the cam arrows point to @ tdc, however, it doesn't really matter, as long as the chains colored links are lined up with the arrows and crank dot you're good. Good luck! seriously
Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM
<3's the all motor section

damn another 3.5 swap in ct. you needa come help me with mine. haha.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 PM

haha I'll have to come check yours out when i finish mine hopefully this week, Just got to fix my timing and make sure my fpr is running good and I'll be set, I am a small town away from manchester, you?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:09 AM
<3's the all motor section

Originally Posted by danman700
haha I'll have to come check yours out when i finish mine hopefully this week, Just got to fix my timing and make sure my fpr is running good and I'll be set, I am a small town away from manchester, you?

yea i know bolton. my g/f use to go to uconn so i was always up there. im out of waterbury, so not exactly the closest place. right now i have my 3.5 ripped apart and i cracked a cam (see my thread a couple threads down), so i bought a new cam and waiting to do timing. waiting for my clutch and flywheel to get to my house also. im a little sketchy on setting the timing even though i have both 3.0 and 3.5 FSMS. so we will see. other then that i dont see much problem.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by danman700
I finished up my 3.5 swap a week ago or so. And it wouldnt run correctly, I figured out that my timing was off, I am not quite sure why, I have a feeling the tensioner is the culprit, as i could hear it when i was cranking the engine... So the last few days i pulled the cover off in the car. What a pain in the ***, it would of been easier to pull the engine in my opinion. But i am setting up my timing again right now and I cant help but wonder, When you setting up the secondary cam timing chains (the small chains) Your supposed to set the cam dowl pins to an 12 O clock position. But I am pretty sure I set stevenmax's spacer/adaptor to a 12 O clock position. I've been thinking about this for some time and I cant figure out what to do, or if it would even matter because as long as the cams are timed together and dots are lined up it wouldnt make a difference. I need some help guys, thanks!

still a little fuzzy on your question, but in regards to the timing do dont need to worry about the position of the dowel pins, you need to make sure everything is at TDC. Check each bank to make sure its at TDC, check the chain links, and check the crank.

If needed, set each part to TDC(each bank, then crank)then re-attach the chains, and line up the link accordingly.