All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI on Supercharged 4th gen rough idle and then dieing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by matty
I used a 4th gen lower, with a 5th gen upper, 5th gen Manifold gasket, and I have NO problem getting it sealed fine since day one.

Did you drill your 00 Upper on each side to accomidate the side bolts ??

-matt

Yes the side bolt holes were drilled, the only thing I notice is that one side does not line up quite right, like it was not drilled right in the center. I have no clue if that is making a difference or not. But I am still having a major leak so I really doubt that is the problem. It takes a lot of effort just trying to keep the car running so it does not die.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cardana24
Yes the side bolt holes were drilled, the only thing I notice is that one side does not line up quite right, like it was not drilled right in the center. I have no clue if that is making a difference or not. But I am still having a major leak so I really doubt that is the problem. It takes a lot of effort just trying to keep the car running so it does not die.
I had the same mis-alignment on mine....One side, the bolt was really close to the edge and didnt really have much meat on it.

How are your Lower Manifold Gaskets ?? I would also check your upper manifold for any cracks. Its not totally out of the ordinary to see the composit material crack if its dropped or hit. If youve tried everything else that is.

-matt
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Bacon Lover

I used a 4th gen lower, with a 5th gen upper, 5th gen Manifold gasket, and I have NO problem getting it sealed fine since day one.

Did you drill your 00 Upper on each side to accomidate the side bolts ??

-matt
Same here, and I only have 3 bolts holding the manifolds together right now and mine is sealed just fine. One bolt hole in the middle got stripped and I've never used the side ones.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Blown

I had the same mis-alignment on mine....One side, the bolt was really close to the edge and didnt really have much meat on it.

How are your Lower Manifold Gaskets ?? I would also check your upper manifold for any cracks. Its not totally out of the ordinary to see the composit material crack if its dropped or hit. If youve tried everything else that is.

-matt
I am not to the point of checking for cracks yet considering I can spray carb cleaner at the union of the upper and lower and the revs will race. Did your miss alignment of the outside bolts cause any sort or sealing issues for you? As for my lower gaskets I am pretty sure they are fine. I took them off and re-did them. I put RTV over top of them as well so I think they are good.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Blown

-matt
so did yours have issues sealing with the misalignment problem?

Something else I thought of is that the factory sleveved holes are still on the sides of the upper. When I tighten the outer bolts on the lower could the metal sleeves be causing the manifold to bow and not seal in the center? I am really running out of ideas. I am thinking about grinding down the metal sleeves that are in the factory outer holes. Is anyone using a tq wrench to put this manifold on? I am just doing everything until it gets tight.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 AM

so did yours have issues sealing with the misalignment problem?

Something else I thought of is that the factory sleveved holes are still on the sides of the upper. When I tighten the outer bolts on the lower could the metal sleeves be causing the manifold to bow and not seal in the center? I am really running out of ideas. I am thinking about grinding down the metal sleeves that are in the factory outer holes. Is anyone using a tq wrench to put this manifold on? I am just doing everything until it gets tight.
I used a tq wrench to tighten the center holes to 11-14 Nm. I think I did the outer bolts 20-25 Nm, but I don't recall.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by tsaulz
I used a tq wrench to tighten the center holes to 11-14 Nm. I think I did the outer bolts 20-25 Nm, but I don't recall.
where can I find a calculator to convert Newton Meters to foot pounds? i am not positive my tq wrench has newton meters.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 AM
3.5 in the works

1 Nm = 0.737561 ft lbs
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Bacon Lover

For converting units, I love this site:

http://www.hybridelephant.com/comput...t2.html#torque
Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Blown

any last minute suggestions/recomendations? I'll be working on it again possibly tonight and tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Blown

still getting the same thing. Running like crap. I got my dad to hang the throttle open so I could spray a few spots with carb cleaner....and my LIM gasket(s) are leaking!!! So I went and picked up some new ones from Nissan today since my old gaskets and RTV did not cut it. One thing I noticed on the new ones is that they are crush gaskets. One side has a ridge on it. Which way should that ridge point? Towards the heads or towards the LIM? I cleaned the old gaskets and RTV off and I am ready to put the new gaskets on tonight. I should need any RTV on my new gaskets?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 AM

NO RTV !!!
They are the same gaskets for each bank....insert the gaskets through the shafts that stick up out of the LIM and trq down to spec.
They should also have alittle bit of rubber around them as well
$30 a peice right ??
Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Blown

NO RTV !!!
They are the same gaskets for each bank....insert the gaskets through the shafts that stick up out of the LIM and trq down to spec.
They should also have alittle bit of rubber around them as well
$30 a peice right ??
so which way does the ridge on the gasket point? I assume when you say shafts, you are talkinga bout the studs that are coming up. As for price they are more than 30, they retail for about 39 a peice, but I have a shop account at the local dealership, so I get a discount on everything I buy there, but they were still 32 each.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 AM

It doesn't matter which way the "ridge" faces. But yea, from experience, the LIM gasket is definitely one that can't be reused.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by nismology
It doesn't matter which way the "ridge" faces. But yea, from experience, the LIM gasket is definitely one that can't be reused.
Hopefully this will solve my problem. On my 95 I have an 00VI on that as well, and I re-used the gaskets and used RTV over them and that car run great...so I thought I would be fine doing the same thing on my 98. It obviously is not working out as smoothly. I'll report back when I try the new LIM gaskets.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Blown

I put new LIM gaskets on and a new upper gasket on and its STILL leaking from the upper and lower union! This is driving me crazy. So I tried my fourth gen gasket again and that leaks too!! I cannot get this thing to seal. I am getting a lot of intake back fires though the union of the LIM and the upper, it pops and smoke come out of the place where it pops.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 AM

Im stumped man. This is mind boggleing unless your upper is cracked somehow. I did this once with a 5th gen upper gasket and got a perfect seal. I know what else it could be
Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 AM

It would help if you could post a few pics of your setup.

Are you sure the bottom of the throttle body isn't interfering with the egr? This can happen because the 00vi repositions the throttle body compared to the 4th gen IM and positions it directly over the egr. If there is no space between the egr and the throttle body, then that could be your problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
It would help if you could post a few pics of your setup.

Are you sure the bottom of the throttle body isn't interfering with the egr? This can happen because the 00vi repositions the throttle body compared to the 4th gen IM and positions it directly over the egr. If there is no space between the egr and the throttle body, then that could be your problem.

I'll try to post a few pictures this weekend. I have the Pathfinder TB on my 00VI. I have blocked off the EGR hole on the manifold, and I have run the egr line from the guide tube and "T" into the brake booster line. I will try to see if anything could possibly be holding it up, but I really don't think that is the case. I will sit flat on the LIM with no effort from me.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 AM

I think the best bet is to look for a new LIM
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by speed racer
I think the best bet is to look for a new LIM

I was thinking about taking this one off and taking it to a machine shop to see if it is warped. I paid a pretty penny for this on so I would like to make it work. Plus I am able to use my 370cc injectors with this one.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Blown

so I took all the 00VI parts off last night and I have all the stock parts almost all the way back on. I just need to put the IACV back on the manifold and then plug the harness back in. While I was cleaning up I was putting all of my 00VI parts in a box, and I then realized what my problem my be. On the LIM where the injectors go I do not have any of those rubber seals/rings in. I am guessing this would cause a huge air leak...like 6 pretty big leaks. I am thinking this is my problem....but everything is almost back to stock, so I am going to finish up with the stock set up and then I will try to mess with the 00VI in a few weeks. I am tired of not being able to drive the car. I'll report back when the car gets running, then I will keep everyone updated when I work on the car again.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 AM

Yep, that would be the problem.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Yep, that would be the problem.

hahahhahah. I am enjoying my time right now (stock manifold) that I can turn the key over and the car runs with out a hickup. I'll put the 00VI on in a few weeks. I got fed up with it and needed some time away. I am sure I took off and put the manifold back on more than 10 times.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Blown

Well, over 4 months later I finally decided to mess with this again. I got all of the injector seals out of another one of my LIM, and made sure I put those in. I used more new LIM gaskets and re used one of my 4 upper intake gaskets. Everything is running nice a smooth as of right now, I just got my summit switch wired up to open around 5k....when it opens until 7K....goodlord I can't wait to get back to the track.

Also I am not sure if I mentioned it before but I am running 5th gen EGR guide tube, and I am also have a pathfinder throttle body.

Thanks for the advice, I guess this just turned into a case of me finally figuring out what I left off.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Cool man. Cant wait to see your new times.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Everything is running nice a smooth as of right now, I just got my summit switch wired up to open around 5k....when it opens until 7K....goodlord I can't wait to get back to the track.
Damn, that is great to hear! Makes me excited about getting another 00VI setup this summer.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Great to hear.. simple things make huge problems