All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Megasquirt Q&A Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Only gentoo powered Maxima!

Megasquirt Q&A Thread

I don't see any other thread like this and I didn't want to just hijack another _similar_ thread so here is the _official_ Megasquirt Q&A thread.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 AM

For those running megasquirt, are you running simultaneous or alternating injection.... also, how many squirts per cycle are you running?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Kevlo for President

I think maybe 2 people have ran this on the VQ...

www.megasquirt.info has alot of info as well.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I think maybe 2 people have ran this on the VQ...

www.megasquirt.info has alot of info as well.
yeah i know www.megasquirt.info and www.msefi.com have lots of info... I just want to coalesce the VQ info so that its easier to setup a squirt
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by hightuner
What did you use to fire the coils? And to read rpms?
as i said above
I used Ford Edis ignition module ... it looks like a sega genesis cartridge

ford crank sensor , wheel , coil pack , old school crown vic wires

I went this way bc i want to start whit something simple . it was my first big project and i dont wanna get lost.
but like rmh3093 says cop , and cop sequential is possible whit ms1, its possible in ms2 at the time but in wastespark only.
--------------------------------------------
there is a lot of devlopement at this time ..GPIO General Purpose Input/Output Board

Inputs
5 general purpose inputs [GPIx], which can have voltage or resistance input, depending on build-time options (based on the V3 sensor input circuits), these can also be used for software debounced on/off switches,
4 VR inputs [VRx] (based on Bruce's EasyVR schematic), for things like transmission controller, vehicle speed indications, or traction control,
4 EGT circuits [EGTx] (using AD595 chips), for independent exhaust gas temperature measurements. (These can also be configured for resistance or voltage measurements, similar to the GPIx circuits)

Outputs
4 general purpose outputs [GPOx] (which have user selected 5V or 12V pull-ups, flyback, and LED capabilities),
4 PWM outputs [PWMx] (based on the uprated V3 PWM FIdle TIP120 circuit),
4 high current circuits [VBx], using the VB921 ignition module driver

thats enough to do sequention cop , cam sensor , Even vtc pwm
--------------------------------------------------------
There is also a good thread on ms extra forums concerning cop on RB engine and nissan CAS
http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=25379

And heres a good nissan Vtc speculation thread
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=20701

rmh3093.. actually i was quite impress how my car run ,at first i got it running but it was really bucky and pretty hard to drive. Then i meet someone who help me a lot ,the drivability is almost near stock , but pretty pretty much more agressif .

its still kind of a little bucky when warming up , but once it done it run pretty well. I had to get used to my act clutch too. i need to work on ,my accel , and a few other thing ,
I think i switch to ms extra soon ... and see how it goes , and try some goddies.

NmexMAX is this graph running at WOT ?

This should help too, from another thread
Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

Sup guys , i dont mind elaborating on my setup

i have a suggestion .. i think we should have a tuning section , that cover piggy back , standalone , wideband etc
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 AM

Well after just getting off the phone with Greddy, the EU won't work in my car..... So I might be getting their top of the line EMS with 2 step, so any info would help.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 AM

i have a suggestion .. i think we should have a tuning section , that cover piggy back , standalone , wideband etc
Yeah what's your setup???? Elaborate please....
Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah an advanced electronics section would be awesome...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Kevlo for President

Well we don't need a entire forum for it lol. We have a nice sticky with lots of info and we can just link this thread to it...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 AM

Well we don't need a entire forum for it lol. We have a nice sticky with lots of info and we can just link this thread to it...
True, there arent _that_ many posts _yet_ to warrant a new sub-forum.... but which sub-form does this really belong to... There are probably more boosted piggyback/standalone members than there are NA members.

Also, there are many DIY electronic projects that dont fall into any category... like the homemade o2 simulator and dual-stage shock sensor, etc... just my 2cents...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

rmh3093

inj per engine cycle 2 .. could be 6
inj stag = alternating

Dont forget ms is a little experimental plus, you could lost things like cruise control etc..
I am not one of thoses who dont want to share maps or tips.
i you or anyone else have question feel free to ask , ill try to answser it as far as i know , and if i dont know ill tell you .

id like to see someone run stock cas and cam sens, cop
Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 PM

rmh3093

inj per engine cycle 2 .. could be 6
inj stag = alternating

Dont forget ms is a little experimental plus, you could lost things like cruise control etc..
I am not one of thoses who dont want to share maps or tips.
i you or anyone else have question feel free to ask , ill try to answser it as far as i know , and if i dont know ill tell you .

I dont use my cruise control much that wont be a problem... is there anything else you know that I will be loosing?

from what I can pull out of the ms forums the router board might be ready for christmas time, i really dont want to buy an edis6 setup and then months later have to buy the router board.... maybe i will just set it up for fuel and sensors right now... that way i can take advantage of the +.5bar fuel for timing mod and BBMAF mod

... i will still have to read up about all this wasted spark stuff is all about
Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

Originally Posted by rmh3093
I dont use my cruise control much that wont be a problem... is there anything else you know that I will be loosing?

from what I can pull out of the ms forums the router board might be ready for christmas time, i really dont want to buy an edis6 setup and then months later have to buy the router board.... maybe i will just set it up for fuel and sensors right now... that way i can take advantage of the +.5bar fuel for timing mod and BBMAF mod

... i will still have to read up about all this wasted spark stuff is all about
when you say router board , you mean GPIO ?? right

i dont know what other troubles , maybe climatic control , abs , automatic tranny.. i dont know
depend if it take signal from the ecu , you can check whit shema in the fsm

Ms can read MAF but i dont know more than that ... i use map

l8ter
Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 PM

when you say router board , you mean GPIO ?? right

i dont know what other troubles , maybe climatic control , abs , automatic tranny.. i dont know
depend if it take signal from the ecu , you can check whit shema in the fsm

Ms can read MAF but i dont know more than that ... i use map

l8ter
no when I say router board I am referring to a board that uses the cam position sensor signal to do sequential ignition....

the gpio board i though was for other things

EDIT:
http://www.megamanual.com/router/
http://www.megamanual.com/gpio/
Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

gezz i miss that one

sounds like i could run cop sonner than i tough

thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 03:40 PM

according to my FSM my car has 2 crankshaft position sensors (CKPS), and a camshaft position sensor (CPS), what is this CAS you speak of, crank angle sensor? do the VQs have CASs?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

How do we call those two crank sens again ?

lol
i use it for cam angle sensor.
might just be for crank too
Old 08-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

another thing you could consider is make a custom converion harness .

Edit . i was considering the gpio for cop & cam sensor reading , pwm Vtc speculation...
Old 08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
DasYears

abs runs independent of the ECU, as does climate control. i believe the TCM gets info from the ecu to make shift decisions though, so...

Old 08-20-2007, 04:15 PM

I think i just found a way to do COP wasted spark without EDIS:

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Ex....htm#mulitcoil
Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DasYears
abs runs independent of the ECU, as does climate control. i believe the TCM gets info from the ecu to make shift decisions though, so...
but we could use the GPIO board to turn of the ac at a certain throttle position... that would be sweet
Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 PM
DasYears

on 5th gens (at least 5.5 gens) the compressor is disengaged when WOT conditions are detected...dont know if thats done through the ECU though...nor do i know about other gens

Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

I think i just found a way to do COP wasted spark without EDIS:

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Ex....htm#mulitcoil
I belive thats whit ms1 only .... I might be wrong i think ms2 can only do wasted spark at the time

dont really understand why ...
Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 AM

I belive thats whit ms1 only .... I might be wrong i think ms2 can only do wasted spark at the time

dont really understand why ...
well according to the feature comparison the ms1 can support 6 direct drive coils and the ms2 can support 4, I dont know why this would be the case if they both use the v3 pcb.... it must be a _current_ limitation of the software. I asked about this in the msextra forums, I wonder what they will say. I might just get a MS1 on the v3 pcb so that I can do COP x6, i can always buy the MS2 chip at a later point in time. Then I could use the megatunix on my car computer which is already running linux
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

yhea thats kind of odd , why cant u just use output and put Vb921 just like ms1e guys do.

I am curious about the real , physic ou software reason.
anways if i were you ill wait on the router or gpio , anyways a ms1 chips aint expensive

or you could run wastespark until the router is release
ill fallow your post
Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 AM

yhea thats kind of odd , why cant u just use output and put Vb921 just like ms1e guys do.

I am curious about the real , physic ou software reason.
anways if i were you ill wait on the router or gpio , anyways a ms1 chips aint expensive

or you could run wastespark until the router is release
ill fallow your post
well I would have to buy some other equipment to get wasted spark running (like an EDIS right) which would probably cost more than $90 (which is the price of the MS2 chip), so buying the ms1 and then upgrading to ms2 if I want seems like just as an expensive route but maybe a little easier? idk....

....what kind of cam and crank sensors do we have on the VQ?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

I am not sure , but i pretty sure members can answer

All i know is one of the crank sensor is on the ring gear/flywheel and its a 360 theets now that way more theets than the procesor can andle , i think we will have to fill some of thoses ***** whit epoxy

as for the cam i am not sure i guess we can find out by looking at the cam itself i think there is only one hole

no need for the edis , for either of those application , i dont even know if it will work, its been designed to drive ford coilpack+standart wire not cops
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When will the MS be able to support sequential fuel injection?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
When will the MS be able to support sequential fuel injection?
I think the answer you are looking for is, when the router board is done, which could be by the end of the year.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

isnt the ms1 can alery do it
Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 AM

isnt the ms1 can alery do it
i though you needed a cam signal to do sequential on a v6 hence the need for the router board.... the ms1 i think can do COP batch/alternating fire on a v6
Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

you might be right honeslty i dont know , i simply tough if its good for 4cyl its should be good for v6
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Go Get a Life!

i though you needed a cam signal to do sequential on a v6 hence the need for the router board.... the ms1 i think can do COP batch/alternating fire on a v6
Correct for Sequential it's critical that a cam signal is needed for MS1.

I'm helping a buddy wire up the MS to his VR6. My first so I'm going to do definantly follow up on this thread.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM

here some helpful info to keep with this thread:
This Nissan's engine is equipped with a distributorless ignition system (DIS), with a separate power transistor mounted with each one of the six coils. This gives each cylinder one coil and one power transistor. A separate signal from the powertrain control module (PCM) to the base of each of the power transistors turns the power transistors on and off. The power transistors pulse coil negative to ground, based on those signals from the computer.
does this mean we dont need to buy/use those VB921's since our OEM coilpacks have power transistors already in them?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM

According to this we can do 6spark COP sequential with ms1/e:
http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?p=167716#167716
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 AM

hightuner, you already mention you dont have emissions tests where you are and I also believe you are running the MS2 in full standalone ecu mode correct? what exactly are the laws about running a stand alone in the US, cause im sure ODB-II wont be working with the MS, i dont know what happens with the service engine light (but i guess if that never comes on that always good for passing inspections)... are the emmisions monitors on the CAN bus in our car? cause if so then it would seem like it dosent matter if im running a standalone ecu or not, it could still get inspected in the US/NY.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

Sup pal ,

I do run ms2 as a standalone. and as you said there is no emission test here , well at least for now .
-------------
EDIT: one good thing i mention above dont know if you catch it ... one good think you could do is make a conversion harness , that use the stock engine harness and convert it to ms , that way you could switch to oem ecu in seconds .. if i had to do it again i guess id spend time doing this , could also be good if you sell the car later on...
------------------
I do not have any check engine whatsover , i just plug tach , speedo .never had to play whit the gaz since its not in the ecu harness . its plug directly to the tank sensor

i know a lot of guys on msefi live in the state so i guess it should not be a problem. did you try a search on the forums
I dont know how it work in the us , i live in canada qc .

I guess the reall question is , do they connect to the ecu , how just analyse the exhaust gaz. Did you ever pass one ?

So did you decide whitch way your going , ms1 , ms2 ...

EDIT: btw good job whit your post over msefi , i had a doubt it was a wirdo reason that we could use the ms2 to do a 6cyl cop seq. kind of sad tough ...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Sup pal ,

I do run ms2 as a standalone. and as you said there is no emission test here , well at least for now .

I do not have any check engine whatsover , i just plug tach , speedo .never had to play whit the gaz since its not in the ecu harness . its plug directly to the tank sensor

i know a lot of guys on msefi live in the state so i guess it should not be a problem. did you try a search on the forums
I dont know how it work in the us , i live in canada qc .

I guess the reall question is , do they connect to the ecu , how just analyse the exhaust gaz. Did you ever pass one ?

So did you decide whitch way your going , ms1 , ms2 ...

EDIT: btw good job whit your post over msefi , i had a doubt it was a wirdo reason that we could use the ms2 to do a 6cyl cop seq. kind of sad tough ...
I did a little reading (http://everything2.com/?node_id=1685894) and it seems like ODB-II is something that has to be implemented by the ECU so it looks like I will have to wire the MS up as a piggy back...

Do your power windows and AC work if you have them? Also, does your abs work, security alarm?

I think im still leaning towards the MS1, megatunix is written for gtk with glade which i've used and I know enough c/c++ that I can tweak the megatunix UI to fit perfectly on my car computer touchscreen... plus the software does support 6 spark outputs if I want to go that route...

...i haven't decided anything yet though cause im still trying to figure out how to set up everthing... I still dont know crap about the VQ30DE's cam or crank sensors or how many tooth wheels we have

i also have to find out more about our injectors cause we might be able to hook them right into the megasquirt, but im not sure
Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

I did a little reading (http://everything2.com/?node_id=1685894) and it seems like ODB-II is something that has to be implemented by the ECU so it looks like I will have to wire the MS up as a piggy back...
when you did your last inspection , do they plug their system in your obd ?

Do your power windows and AC work if you have them? Also, does your abs work, security alarm?
Yes pw still work since its a different harness , ac could work just have to ground the relay via one custom output , just like i did for the vias

...i haven't decided anything yet though cause im still trying to figure out how to set up everthing... I still dont know crap about the VQ30DE's cam or crank sensors or how many tooth wheels we have
this info can be find , right on this forums , same thing for injector s

Quick Reply: Megasquirt Q&A Thread