All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

MY DOMINANT 00VI SWAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007 | 09:17 PM

MY DOMINANT 00VI SWAP!!!

Hello all,

Well I am 95% done with my 00VI swap and well the only problem I am having is getting the stock air filter box onto the throttle body. I thought I could use the stock filter box seeing as no one on the .org said in there threads that you cannot. So right now I am stuck but besides that everything is going great!!

Here is a list of what I used for my set-up:

5th gen UIM
5th gen LIM
5th gen EGR guide tube
5th gen IACV with 5th gen plugs
4th gen Rear Valve cover
4th gen Coil Packs
5th gen TB
4th gen EVAP
3.0 L weapon-r fuel rail adapter that I had milled down by an engineering guy in my town.
5th gen fuel rail and regulator

Thats all I can think of that is different for now.

I will post pictures tomorrow of how I did stuff.

So the one thing I am curious about which is mainly why I made this thread...Do I need an aftermarket air intake system (CAI, POP, HAI, etc.)? If no the how the **** do you make the stock air filter box fit?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 12-29-2007 | 09:22 PM
Turbo'd Saab

LOL I am working with kyle(MOHFPro) on his to get it done, I am so happy I just bought an Impact wrench, its made everything so much easier. Great job man, you should be able to remove or shorten one of the rub tubings, but if you do aftermarket, just get a cheap berk to start
Old 12-29-2007 | 10:11 PM

The problem is that the angle is all wrong on the stock air box, and the fact that it is so far back into the middle of the car...I am definately not going aftermarket from just finishing my research about the frankencar midpipe giving less gains than the stock midpipe, but I got to go find something that will work at autozone tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2007 | 10:19 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Blackmax1924
The problem is that the angle is all wrong on the stock air box, and the fact that it is so far back into the middle of the car...I am definately not going aftermarket from just finishing my research about the frankencar midpipe giving less gains than the stock midpipe, but I got to go find something that will work at autozone tomorrow.
Eliminating midpipe is a cheap alternative and works wonderful.
Old 12-29-2007 | 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SilMax00
Eliminating midpipe is a cheap alternative and works wonderful.
Just want to confirm something about this set-up, so pretty much from the throttle body it will go some type of adapter to the MAF then to a cone filter is that right? Also what do you use for an adapter to make the MAF fit onto the throttle body?

Thanks for the help it is going to help me a great deal tomorrow when I go buy some parts from autozone.

Stephen

Last edited by Blackmax1924; 12-29-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2007 | 11:10 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I used your typical rubber 3" to 2.5" coupler, for the maf to TB

second you will need an adapter that will bolt to the MAF and allow the cone filter to fit and attach to the rest of the intake setup.

third the only thing you also need to worry about when removing the midpipe is the main breather line for the valve cover. you can get one of those cheap $10 ones at an autoparts store and basically one you get it rip the rubber housing for it out and and cut about 1.5" off the original breather tube and your gonna shave it down a little and basically force fit it into this new breather filter and thats how I made mine. If you want pics of my nasty engine bay ( i never clean it and i leave random tubes and wires laying around in it) I can do so tomorrow.

$10 - breather filter
$7 - coupler
$5 - adapter plate
$30 - cone filter

there you go
Old 12-29-2007 | 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

on my 00vi w/ 5g TB i have the stock accordian section on the TB, and then a midpipe replacing the stock resonator box, and then a jwt cone filter on the end by the maf.
Old 12-29-2007 | 11:25 PM

second you will need an adapter that will bolt to the MAF and allow the cone filter to fit and attach to the rest of the intake setup.

third the only thing you also need to worry about when removing the midpipe is the main breather line for the valve cover. you can get one of those cheap $10 ones at an autoparts store and basically one you get it rip the rubber housing for it out and and cut about 1.5" off the original breather tube and your gonna shave it down a little and basically force fit it into this new breather filter and thats how I made mine. If you want pics of my nasty engine bay ( i never clean it and i leave random tubes and wires laying around in it) I can do so tomorrow.

$10 - breather filter
$7 - coupler
$5 - adapter plate
$30 - cone filter

there you go
Alright, that sounds great! Especially because I can get it at autozone so my car can be running by the 2nd of january otherwise i would be screwed.

Thanks again for the help.

Stephen
Old 12-29-2007 | 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by aznsap
on my 00vi w/ 5g TB i have the stock accordian section on the TB, and then a midpipe replacing the stock resonator box, and then a jwt cone filter on the end by the maf.
Ideally I would like to do soemthing like that so I can keep the hoses that connect upto the three hoses that I need, as one goes to my VIAS, and then the other two just are from the stock positions, but we will see if that is possible tomorrow.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 12-29-2007 | 11:32 PM

$10 - breather filter
$7 - coupler
$5 - adapter plate
$30 - cone filter

there you go
Also yes pictures would be helpful just to give me an idea of what it looks like, I have a good idea of it though.

I am kind of confused about the breather filter though any pictures of what you did with that? If not could you explain it a little more.
Old 12-30-2007 | 07:08 AM

I would be against using the stock air filter box. What will happen is you will end up putting a real nasty "S" bend on to make it work. This can be accomplished by using two rubber accordian pieces.

The best option would be 5th gen mid-pipe with preferable a short ram intake. To prevent the intake from sagging get a reducer coupler.

However, if your looking for a quick fix I can sell you the accordian piece. I used it for a year brand new from nissan. PM for details.
Old 12-30-2007 | 08:15 AM
Bacon Lover

While the stock 4th gen equipment HAS been done, it rarely works for very long (hard to keep it together). The stock 5th gen equipment, though, has been shown to work. An aftermarket is your best alternative. I personally run an accordion section, a tiny, tiny straight pipe, the stock midpipe, MAF, cone filter.
Old 12-30-2007 | 11:25 AM

alright...well it is up and running a small trip to autozone and we were good to go.

What I bought temporarily was a intake flexible hose that can bend and I just used the stock airbox and everything, I just took the accordion piece off.

But everything runs great!!! Went for a quick test drive came back and did the VAFC-II VTEC setting at 5000 rpm and then went for a good 30 minute test drive. All I can say is wow I am very impressed, we had no leaks whatsoever, the one thing we have is two check engine lights for the knock sensor and also the MAP solenoid. S we gotta figure out what we are going to do to fix that but besides that is great.

I'll either post pictures today of pics throughout the swap or in the next couple of days, also a finished product picture as well.

Thanks for everyones helps that has given me advise and help along the way, I am glad I did this swap!!

Stephen

I also used my brothers user name to talk to other people as well because he has the search function his is euRo so if you helped him you helped me!!
Old 12-31-2007 | 12:01 AM

Final update for this swap:

My father and myself went back out to the garage earlier on and we fixed both the check engine lights we had, the knock sensor and MAP solenoid. The problem with the knock sensor was that, I hooked up the knock sensor to my VAFC-II and that is what caused the check engine light. After that we cut the purple wire (the knock sensor wire) and the check engine went away, and it is perfect. The MAP solenoid was a slight mess up on the vaccum hoses that we modified to make the intake work. So all we messed up was the one hose that was suppose to be a vaccum that goes to the fuel pressure regulator and then after we fixed that we went for another test drive and it felt a lot more power than before.

00VI SWAP IS COMPLETE!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007 | 06:16 AM

Glad to hear you finished the swap with little difficulty. Get it on a dyno or get a wideband. Your A/F is going to be very erratic.
Old 12-31-2007 | 07:07 AM

Running A33 fuel equip will require a tune to really feel the difference. As far as I know, it will be rich in the low end and slightly less rich in the high end(due to more air). Not sure on the details but its still beggin for a tune...!

Im still working on mine...running into a few issues >.<
Old 12-31-2007 | 10:14 AM

Yea I know I am trying to get it on a dyno as soon as possible, I am going to give my local dyno a call today and see when I can get a slot on the dyno.

Damn, that sucks its not running, hopefully you get it running within the next couple of days.

Stephen