All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00vi swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 AM

00vi swap

Getting ready for the swap, and i've got a couple of questions. i've searched and searched and haven't been able to find what exactly i'm after, if you got a link to one of my questions being answered thats good too.

so far i have
00 UIM
00 LIM
00 Rear Valve
00 rear coils
00 Fuel rail + injectors
00 TB and IACV

Question 1.
other than the fuel rail adapter, what else will i need to get it up and running? From what i've gathered id need some injector rated fuel hose, and a rpm switch.

is there anything else i will need?

Question 2. What size do i need the fuel rail adapter to be? i'm currently looking at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123 which is 5.3 cm in diameter (53mm, or 2.0866 inches) and that just doesn't sound right?

Question 3. I've heard of people talk about running rich using the 00 fuel rails? is this so, and is there anyway to get around it without purchasing a 3rd party A/F regulator?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 AM

1. I remember the worst part about the swap was the time spent running back and forth to parts stores... that is somewhat unavaiodable b/c there will always be something you forgot. the only thing i can think of off the top of my head not on your list is INJECTOR CLIPS. your 4th gen clips will NOT plug into the 5 gen injectors. see the prob is though, they dont sell just the clips. so you either have to go to a junk yard and hope they have harnesses lying around that you can cut the clips off of, or you can do what i did, and buy chevy s10 clips. i know that sounds weird but they are almost identicle to 5 gen maxima clips. there was like one extra tab or something that needed to be cut off to make it fit. and yes one thing you will need plenty of is hose.

2. I wish i remember the link, but there was a guy from another car forums that made an adapter for this swap, might want to ask around. sorry i cant help on that one

3. Yes, you will run rich... this is due to the larger injector size of the 5 gen vs. the 4 gen. to correct that you need to buy some sort of feul management system. you can go as cheap as you want... i have the VAFC on my car, but you can always go as big as e-manage if you want.

hope i was at least able to help a lil, GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 AM

with the running rich, will it run rich all the time? or just during open loop. (WOT)?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 AM

Have you read Tatanko's site about the 00VI swap? Its got alot of info. It might answer your questions.

http://tatanko.boredmder.com/
Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 AM

i have, and it doesn't really answer my questions :/

i've got another question, Whats the cheapest way to increase your rev limit? it looks like it will be far cheaper to get a safc ($60 - $100) and a separate rpm switch ($35-$50) then to buy a VAFC. is there any stand alone rev limit increase for maybe $100, or should i splerge and get an emanage blue for $400 all at once?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 AM

JWT, Technosquare ECU, EU, and UTEC are the only devices I know increase a rev limit for our cars unless i missed something.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:50 AM

so no rev limiting increase with piggybacks? fair enough then.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
i have, and it doesn't really answer my questions :/
I apologize. It was as good as it could have been when I compiled it 2 years ago. Needs a bit of updating, eh?

On to your questions:

1. At the very least I recommend replacing the fuel lines in your engine bay while you're in there. The old ones will likely be a b*tch to get off, and they're old, so just replace them entirely. This will be quite a few feet in hose. You'll also want a bunch of 3/8" heater hose (standard vacuum hose) and some of the really small hose (I want to say it's like 3/16"?) to re-do some of those lines while you're in there. You'll want all-new gaskets for the intake manifolds of course, and I'd recommend changing the throttlebody gasket, IACV gasket, rear valve cover gasket, and throwing in a fresh PCV valve while you're at it. At the very least you will need the lower intake manifold gaskets, but some of the others are likely worn if even usable at all.

2. For the fuel rail adapter, grab a "Nissan 2.0L" (yes, 2.0L, not 3.0L) adapter from Weapon-R. They have a website I think and they might be on eBay as well.

3. You will run rich and there's no way around it. You'll need something to tune with and I recommend getting an actual dyno tune when you can get around to it rather than trying to mess with it on the street (unless you get a wideband O2 sensor).
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 AM

+1 on the new gaskets. I thought I could reuse my old ones but it ended causing me alot of problems.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I apologize. It was as good as it could have been when I compiled it 2 years ago. Needs a bit of updating, eh?
Don't get me wrong, it did answer quite a lot of questions!

the weapon-r fuel line adaptor is going to be about $100 shipped to Australia (which is nuts), at this stage it looks like it might be more worth while leaving the LIM in there and do some drilling instead,
Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by mywhitewolf
the weapon-r fuel line adaptor is going to be about $100 shipped to Australia (which is nuts), at this stage it looks like it might be more worth while leaving the LIM in there and do some drilling instead,
You could indeed do that. It would run a lot less rich for the time being until you can get a good tune going. You'd need a lot less parts also.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Sounds like a plan, until i can justify the $600 odd for Emanage-Ultimate!

with the money i saved, i might just buy a y-pipe
Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM

from exprience emanage imo is the shiznit. but it is very hard to fork out that kind of cash. but you figure you go apexi,wb,jwt(raise rev limit) it will run you the same as a emanage w\ wideband.

as for the adapter. i was lucky and didnt need one cause i could still use the existing one on the fuel rail. but i seen a rail adapter recently on the org in the classifieds. but im sure shipping to the down under would run you quite a bit.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 PM

well, i've decided to go with the VAFC 2 module, and i've paid the $100 to weapon r so they can ship a $20 item thats less than 1lb to australia :/

i figured i might as well do this right.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by locknuts
from exprience emanage imo is the shiznit. but it is very hard to fork out that kind of cash. but you figure you go apexi,wb,jwt(raise rev limit) it will run you the same as a emanage w\ wideband.

as for the adapter. i was lucky and didnt need one cause i could still use the existing one on the fuel rail. but i seen a rail adapter recently on the org in the classifieds. but im sure shipping to the down under would run you quite a bit.
How do u kno if you need the adapter or not?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:29 PM

if the existing hose on the 5th gen fuel rail is there. i still had about 4 feet left so i had no problems