All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

AFPR+Rubber Lines on a 3.5er...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:12 AM

AFPR+Rubber Lines on a 3.5er...

I'm wondering if its just me or not.

3.5 done (been done ages ago). I'm using rubber lines with my AFPR. Seems like from time to time I get a problem/instance with the lines.

first it was crappy rubber that was crumbling and causing leaks
then it was the hole slipping off (barb fittings)

Today was driving to get some contact for my girls Mom, and was loosing power and car stalled. Smelled fuel before it stalled. Pulled over popped the hood. the line coming off the fuel filter was leaking and a big bubble (looked like it was going to pop).

Luckily I have too much experince Macgyvering ish on the fly. I had a box cutter with me, and a stubby flat head screwdriver. a little cutting and double clamping and i was back on the road.

Mainly I'm wondering is anyone else running into small trouble with their rubber lines? I'm waiting for my an fitting to come in so I can run all SS lines. Just since I've been swapped I've had issues one every few months (mainly leaks, and popping off). I've also double clamped and thats helped more.

Fuel pressure is normal, isnt high, vac source hooked to the afpr too.

Maybe I just have weird issues with my afpr. I guess the sooner i get the SS lines setup I wouldnt have any more problems.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you using actual fuel injection hose or just normal fuel hose from the auto parts store?
Old 06-28-2008, 12:35 PM

part stock lines
the lines that crumbled on me were the lines that came with the AFPR
then I bought some fuel lines from the auto store. Goodyear brand
Old 06-28-2008, 12:46 PM

I've been running my afpr with normal fuel hose on a boosted setup for over a year....no problems here. Antifreeze or any other corrosive substance getting on the lines? Is it the small hose worm gear clamps that are ripping into the hose?
Old 06-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What kind of clamps are you using? If they're not specifically for fuel injection, that's part your problem. Fuel injection-specific hoses and clamps are what you need.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:06 PM

on fuel injection hose. A friend of mine put alot of money and effort into his car only to have it burn to the ground because he cheaped out and didn't use fuel injection hose. He 'd.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:14 PM

to be honnest the fuels hoses from the auto store is what i've been using and assumed it would be sufficient for the task.

Clamps were not fuel injector clamps, but more regular hose clamps.

I'll definately look into fuel injection hoses. I was lucky today, gas was spewing out, when I got the car to the side. Had some gotten on my battery or if that rubber boot covering the power to the starter, it could have landed on that and cause a fire for sure (long story...know from experience).
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 PM

Make sure you get fuel injector line, its rated at a much higer pressure then normal fuel line. The stuff is kinda pricey but its worth it. The fuel injection clamps are differnt, like the ones used for the fuel filter, where as there designed not to cut the hose when you clamp it down hard.

Hopefully all turns out well, gas is never a good thing to play with.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM

Yea I'm going to look into those hoses if my An fitting dont come off back order soon.

I've had more instances that I'd like with my fuel lines and/or clamps. I've left a lot of gas stains on the ground, one entering my cult-de-sac. I see it every time I come home.

If I get my AN fittings, it will be all SS lines, if not I'm going with the fuel injector hoses and clamps. If its pricey it doesnt matter, its better to have a setup that I know I wont have to worry about every other time I drive