All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

It's official. Cammed DE-K in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's official. Cammed DE-K in!

So if you didn't know I purchased DandyMax's cammed motor. I officially picked up my car today with the complete swap, Greddy EU, Innovative WB and Cattman Headers.

So we went out and did some datalogging and tunning. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!! It was fun, this car could pull. It was fun going to 7500rpm and it still wants to go and man does it get up there fast.

Again I couldn't thank DandyMax more as he did a great job on the swap and base tunning of the car. I recognize I won't get the 270whp he got out of it due to limitations (mainly damn auto tranny) but it's still amazing.

And man did I have fun on the way home. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Let's get some dynos, data logs and track times posted. Maybe even some vids. How is your cat-back set-up?

Are you going MAF-less like Dandy?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Let's get some dynos, data logs and track times posted. Maybe even some vids. How is your cat-back set-up?

Are you going MAF-less like Dandy?
Still trying to work out the a/f past 7200 as Dan and I spent a good part of last night trying to solve why the stock ECU is dumping so much fuel. I'll try to post the datalogs on the weekend if I get a chance. Once I get that fixed then I will try to book some dyno time. Unfortunately I am not as lucky as Dan to have good area's to due some street runs. Track times may have to wait until next year as I now a baby and things are always coming up.

I just have a Budget B-pipe with stock muffler. I'm going to keep my MAF in.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TDotMax
Still trying to work out the a/f past 7200 as Dan and I spent a good part of last night trying to solve why the stock ECU is dumping so much fuel. I'll try to post the datalogs on the weekend if I get a chance. Once I get that fixed then I will try to book some dyno time. Unfortunately I am not as lucky as Dan to have good area's to due some street runs. Track times may have to wait until next year as I now a baby and things are always coming up.

I just have a Budget B-pipe with stock muffler. I'm going to keep my MAF in.
Do you still have a cat under there?

Well, in any case, looks like a nice set-up and glad to see it being done on an auto.

I just hope people don't fail to see that your set-up will be quite different and people should not expect the same numbers, etc. Dandy had open exhaust, 5MT and a different tune, that is all very significant. I would like to see what that thing would put down with the stock muffler and stock airbox

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-30-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM

Do you still have a cat under there?

Well, in any case, looks like a nice set-up and glad to see it being done on an auto.

I just hope people don't fail to see that your set-up will be quite different and people should not expect the same numbers, etc. Dandy had open exhaust, 5MT and a different tune, that is all very significant. I would like to see what that thing would put down with the stock muffler and stock airbox :Wall:
It will be very different. I'm hoping though by next I can get a 5-speed swap done (just have to let the wife know my tranny died )
On my intake I just have a filter at the end of the MAF (WAI setup) and I left the stock resonator in. The Cat is still there. May look into a test pipe in the future but I don't see that doing much.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM

Definitely waiting for some more info! Would like to see what the auto lays down, as I would like to stay auto but I know the 5speed will put out more, just not sure how much.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Definitely waiting for some more info! Would like to see what the auto lays down, as I would like to stay auto but I know the 5speed will put out more, just not sure how much.
+1

Good job getting everything up and running.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

4AT + 7500 RPM = on the highway. But on the initial take off.

It be like over 90 MPH at the top of 2nd, and be in a VERY sweet spot going into 3rd.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Good job guys.

Do you know if Dan had to do anything beyond the ordinary (ordinary being what he states in his EU writeup) to get past the fuel cut at 6500rpms considering you have a 2000 Max?

I wish I could redline at 7200rpm's (maybe even 7500) in my '99...

Dan is the Man.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Vids?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM

awesome. What is the advantage of going MAF-less?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM

4AT + 7500 RPM = on the highway. But on the initial take off.

It be like over 90 MPH at the top of 2nd, and be in a VERY sweet spot going into 3rd.
omg 4at + 7500 rpm = SICKNESS!!! imagine that with suprastick letting the auto shift on its own at 7500
Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
3.5 in the works

Let's get some dynos, data logs and track times posted. Maybe even some vids.
Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Vids?
What, my track videos and the open cutout idling video etc aren't good enough for y'all?

Still trying to work out the a/f past 7200 as Dan and I spent a good part of last night trying to solve why the stock ECU is dumping so much fuel.
The issue I had on the top end past 7300 was not so much fuel related.. the problem was the ign timing jumping all over the place.. ran out of time to attack that area further (as you know) but the car does seem to go to just about 7300 pretty well until all the funkyness happens...

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, remember that crank POS code that popped up? I'm wondering if maybe your flex plate/timing ring/torque converter assembly isn't true enough or balanced well enough at that rpm.. maybe the crank signal starts to get wonky and hence the ign timing too... hmmm... I've never taken an auto up that high before so I don't have any comparison but I know the manuals don't experience that of course. This will require more playing with it to see what's actually happening post 7300...

Originally Posted by ajcool2
+1

Good job getting everything up and running.
His car threw quite a few challenges at me including a horridly stuck axle/hub so at times I was cursing lol but in the end it was all back together. (Darn Montreal cars eh Kev? lol)

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Good job guys.

Do you know if Dan had to do anything beyond the ordinary (ordinary being what he states in his EU writeup) to get past the fuel cut at 6500rpms considering you have a 2000 Max?
James I didn't have to do anything different, just add fuel. Send me your EM2 file and I'll take a look, and also a log of you bouncing the rev limiter.

Originally Posted by chillin014
awesome. What is the advantage of going MAF-less?
Almost no intake restriction, ease of fabrication for custom intakes/diff TB's etc, can be useful to run a speed-density tune on a boosted car etc. But not necessary for most cars, the downside is a lot of tuning time to do it well. N/A it's probably not what most people will choose, consider the big MAF options around also...

Last edited by DandyMax; 07-30-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 PM
3.5 in the works

Just FYI, as for key differences in the mods between his car and mine they are as follows:

VIAS Power valve: mine was removed, his is not
TB: mine was a Pathy, his is 5th gen
Intake: mine was MAF-less and custom fabbed, his is WAI.. basically MAF, resonator, and filter
Tranny: I was 5MT, he is 4AT
Exhaust: I had full Cattman all the way, and an exhaust cutout before the cat. He has Catttman headers, Budget B-pipe and stock muffler, not sure what make of cat he has (but it is there) and no cutout

There are a few other differences that would contribute to whp levels being different and of course the 1/4 mile will only introduce more variables and differences... but the engine internally is the same - same valvetrain, VQ35 oil pump with oil pressure cutoff switch etc

Last edited by DandyMax; 07-30-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 PM

thanks for the information. I'm going to PM you with a few questions so I dont jack this thread.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
The issue I had on the top end past 7300 was not so much fuel related.. the problem was the ign timing jumping all over the place.. ran out of time to attack that area further (as you know) but the car does seem to go to just about 7300 pretty well until all the funkyness happens...

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, remember that crank POS code that popped up? I'm wondering if maybe your flex plate/timing ring/torque converter assembly isn't true enough or balanced well enough at that rpm.. maybe the crank signal starts to get wonky and hence the ign timing too... hmmm... I've never taken an auto up that high before so I don't have any comparison but I know the manuals don't experience that of course. This will require more playing with it to see what's actually happening post 7300...

His car threw quite a few challenges at me including a horridly stuck axle/hub so at times I was cursing lol but in the end it was all back together. (Darn Montreal cars eh Kev? lol)

I got no problem with 7300 right now lol. I went out for a quick run tonight and think I hurt my neck when I stomped on it in second. The bogging was still there around the 7500 area but I wasn't logging at the time.

From now on I will research where a car is from before buying lol.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
3.5 in the works

I got no problem with 7300 right now lol. I went out for a quick run tonight and think I hurt my neck when I stomped on it in second. The bogging was still there around the 7500 area but I wasn't logging at the time.

From now on I will research where a car is from before buying lol.
lol. Well if it was truly the 7500 area, that's the new fuel cut at 7450 or so... but if it was sooner than that but above 7200-7300 then it might be what I mentioned above...

PS has the wife driven it yet.. what does she think of the new power?

Last edited by DandyMax; 07-30-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

awesome but when are we gonna see ur 3.5 ?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 AM

lol. Well if it was truly the 7500 area, that's the new fuel cut at 7450 or so... but if it was sooner than that but above 7200-7300 then it might be what I mentioned above...

PS has the wife driven it yet.. what does she think of the new power?
Thats true. I think I threw another cam position code (I think that's what it was before) but you said not to worry too much about it. Might just become a nuissance resetting it all the time.

Wife hasn't driven it yet but she did come with me yesterday and she loved it especially the sound of the motor once VIAS kicks in.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:49 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by 95 maxima se
awesome but when are we gonna see ur 3.5 ?
Are you asking me?

Thats true. I think I threw another cam position code (I think that's what it was before) but you said not to worry too much about it. Might just become a nuissance resetting it all the time.

Wife hasn't driven it yet but she did come with me yesterday and she loved it especially the sound of the motor once VIAS kicks in.
It was the crank POS sensor. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's driving normally. Every once and a while mine would throw it but generally only on a rough start/idle misfire etc which isn't a huge surprise with the cams but your ECU seems to be pickier and as I said there may be a balance issue at high rpm, we don't really know yet. Although it might help to check the freeze frame data with an OBD scanner to see at what rpm it detected the "misfire"
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

yes sir
Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Now that you mention the sound. I would love to hear this engine. Could you make us a little video please?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Kevlo for President

Can you sell me the heads off the motor?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 AM

thats awesome man! post some pics or something man!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
Now that you mention the sound. I would love to hear this engine. Could you make us a little video please?
Take a look at my youtube videos... it's the same engine although mine are with open cutout mostly...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:47 PM

i watch that video almost every day...dan ur the man
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM

hows at tranny holding up
Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
hows at tranny holding up
Tranny is holding up strong with the VB and tranny cooler in. No slippage at all.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 AM

Bumping up an old thread with a vid during my dyno run for those who wanted to hear how the motor sounds. Mind you this is inside a shop.

- Cammed DEK, Cattman headers, Budget B-pipe, stock axle back

Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 AM

Hey Dan, I see you did a great job again, that is making me salivate... Just so you know you inspired me for my DEK build. TDotMax, you are going to have a lot of fun with this car, but for most I think you are going to surprise a lot of car on the road, be careful you now on have a little one and the mommy that need your support.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
Hey Dan, I see you did a great job again, that is making me salivate... Just so you know you inspired me for my DEK build. TDotMax, you are going to have a lot of fun with this car, but for most I think you are going to surprise a lot of car on the road, be careful you now on have a little one and the mommy that need your support.
Thanks, I bought a Nissan Rogue last year so we have that when taking the baby out and stuff. The Maxima is basically my to work and hanging out car. The Rogue is the family car.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 AM

real nice! great job
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

So.. what did it make on the 5th gen?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
So.. what did it make on the 5th gen?
I posted in the dyno section. 200whp, 183tq. I had some A/F and breathing issues with the stock axle back. Will be getting a Greddy Evo2 in a few months to help the breathing, also the new manifold spacer Aaron made. Once all that is sorted out I'm hoping 250 once I get it properly dyno tuned. Probably won't be until July.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

I posted in the dyno section. 200whp, 183tq. I had some A/F and breathing issues with the stock axle back. Will be getting a Greddy Evo2 in a few months to help the breathing, also the new manifold spacer Aaron made. Once all that is sorted out I'm hoping 250 once I get it properly dyno tuned. Probably won't be until July.
I had some funky A/F readings with my stock axleback too when I tried to dyno. Cant wait to see the results.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Thanks, I bought a Nissan Rogue last year so we have that when taking the baby out and stuff. The Maxima is basically my to work and hanging out car. The Rogue is the family car.
Good stuff, my wife also has a Rogue, it's a nice little SUV for the family.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Sorry to veer off topic but

It was the crank POS sensor. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's driving normally. Every once and a while mine would throw it but generally only on a rough start/idle misfire etc which isn't a huge surprise with the cams but your ECU seems to be pickier and as I said there may be a balance issue at high rpm, we don't really know yet. Although it might help to check the freeze frame data with an OBD scanner to see at what rpm it detected the "misfire"
Would this be an issue of performance?? On the 3.5 swapped car I have... I keep getting the Crank POS code, we've replaced the crank POS with a new sensor, we've shaved it down a bit so it could reach the fly, we have no shavings on the magnet, etc.... car tends to backfire alot. Is there any way to solve this issue?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Kevlo for President

Use a vq30 oil pan
Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM

I don't have the Crank POS issue anymore. It's an O2 code I have . I guess it took awhile for the stock ECU to learn
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM

good to see some other dyno numbers with a cammed DE-K

Quick Reply: It's official. Cammed DE-K in!