All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Stock 3.5 IM vs. VIAS delete vs. SSIM dyno comparo

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008 | 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stock 3.5 IM vs. VIAS delete vs. SSIM dyno comparo

VERY interesting read. Link was originally posted in the 5th gen forum I believe but I thought it'd do more good here.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-vs-stock.html
Old 11-06-2008 | 11:24 AM

Good info! I just have one question though, what is the difference between the VIAS delete and SSIM. Are the valves still inside of the IM and just not functioning with the VIAS delete?
Old 11-06-2008 | 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Good info! I just have one question though, what is the difference between the VIAS delete and SSIM. Are the valves still inside of the IM and just not functioning with the VIAS delete?
No the Vias valve is eliminated, and with the ssim the vias valve + shelf is eliminated.

I have a post up there near the end, have been meaning to go back in there and will later tonight to let those guys know that within the next week I will be at the dyno again to test just a block-off plate, I found that VERY interesting, if not hard to swallow, and am curious if there wasn't anything else going on.
Old 11-06-2008 | 03:53 PM

Very interesting results. But it really comfirms what folks have been saying on here. You have to optimize your own setup. When I first had SSIM done my lowend was just as sucky as people said it would be and the topend was just as great as people said. Now 5 intake setups later lol, my lowend and topend are great and its time to move to other modifications.
Old 11-07-2008 | 11:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
But it really comfirms what folks have been saying on here. You have to optimize your own setup. .
Been sayin' that for years.
Old 11-07-2008 | 11:44 AM

That can be said for any mod though, and is not really the point of me posting this.

P.S. The #$^% you been?
Old 11-07-2008 | 12:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by nismology
That can be said for any mod though, and is not really the point of me posting this.

P.S. The #$^% you been?
My dumb **** decided to take a class and, well obviously it's taken all of my time.

True on the mod part, my SSIM, as is when installed, made my car slower, but through the following months, it was optimized.

This past weekend I hooked the WB back up, cleaned the air filter, changed the oil and well, I'm back.
Old 11-07-2008 | 03:24 PM
VQ35 FTW

This is very interesting information. Makes me glad I didnt do the ssim. I have been staring at the NWP block plate since June now and have been too lazy to do it due to the cutting of the manifold. I guess Ill just throw the block plate on!
Old 11-07-2008 | 06:20 PM
Play with my balls

With an extended rev limiter it would prove the SSIM to be a more useful mod. Even more so with a set of cams and a great tune.

I want to see the A/F curve......

Last edited by Deckdout2; 11-07-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2008 | 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
With an extended rev limiter it would prove the SSIM to be a more useful mod. Even more so with a set of cams and a great tune.
Most have neither and are using an AFC to tune. It might not be worth it for them.
Old 11-08-2008 | 04:43 AM

Hello all, have been talking with KRRZ some and sent him my run files. Saw this post so I figured I would let give you all the A/F that you asked for. Here you go, let me know what you think.

Old 11-08-2008 | 07:29 AM

Thats very cool of you to do all three dynos and present that info. For how much of a difference there is though...I really dont think I'm going to go to the effort of changing out my SSIM. I'm always so split between not wasting time on minimal gains, or trying to squeeze every horsepower out. I'm more leaning towards the latter. I mean to me, those curves look like something I would expect from getting on a different dyno or even the same dyno on a different day. I guess I just dont trust numbers lolz.
Old 11-08-2008 | 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by chillin014
I mean to me, those curves look like something I would expect from getting on a different dyno or even the same dyno on a different day. I guess I just dont trust numbers lolz.
The shape of curves usually don't vary too much from run to run and is what you should trust, if anything.
Old 11-08-2008 | 09:42 AM

i also wonder if there is any synergism going on with the IM and his headers..vs the 3 IM scenarios and stock manifolds..even though most ppl in here have them...

also to add 2 this thread a few days ago i bought aarons block off plate that ill be installing when it comes in, and ill report butt dyno results lol,.. but i dont have a way to tune a/f yet so idk
Old 11-08-2008 | 11:06 AM

The shape of curves usually don't vary too much from run to run and is what you should trust, if anything.
true. makes sense. But dont the curves seem fairly similar to you? Maybe I'm not nit-picky enough for this and I do see the loss of torque at the low end at its worst point its about 25 horsepower lower than the best curve at that point, but for no more than a thousand rpm. I donno..
Old 11-09-2008 | 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Been sayin' that for years.
Well, being the cynic that I am, I think people will have tendency to see that comparison and think that the SSIM isn't worth it, but it really depends on your set-up and how you use it. The SSIM (or any similar IM mod) isn't a magic slap-on-for-25-whp mod. That's what SR20DEN was trying to tell people for years when they thought the SSIM was THE mod that helped him hit 12s.

I know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but sometimes the incorrect conclusions that most others (not you two) draw from good information really irk me.

Modified CVTC maps anyone? Maybe one day when I have time and money again.
Old 11-14-2008 | 12:09 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Well, being the cynic that I am, I think people will have tendency to see that comparison and think that the SSIM isn't worth it, but it really depends on your set-up and how you use it. The SSIM (or any similar IM mod) isn't a magic slap-on-for-25-whp mod. That's what SR20DEN was trying to tell people for years when they thought the SSIM was THE mod that helped him hit 12s.

I know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but sometimes the incorrect conclusions that most others (not you two) draw from good information really irk me.

Modified CVTC maps anyone? Maybe one day when I have time and money again.
Great Post! I have an intake mani with SSIM on my car now... i also have one WITH just the Block off plate on..

Im starting to think that where i am and what i use for tuning(nothing) would work better w/ just VIAS plate..
Old 11-15-2008 | 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
Great Post! I have an intake mani with SSIM on my car now... i also have one WITH just the Block off plate on..

Im starting to think that where i am and what i use for tuning(nothing) would work better w/ just VIAS plate..

I think you need a tune more than anything, here are the gains I posted before and after a TUNE. It really helped my midrange the most and gave me some good peak HP/TQ gains. All the mods at the time are listed currently in my sig, similar to what you currently have.

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:42 AM

well for all u fast six speed guys the ssim might e good with a tune.. but wat about auto people? im deff gonna do the block off plate but would the ssim really be worth it for an untuned auto guy who plans on being tuned in the future... (technally i was tuned but i think i fuked my tune up playin wit the vafc2)lol
Old 12-09-2008 | 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Very interesting results. But it really comfirms what folks have been saying on here. You have to optimize your own setup. When I first had SSIM done my lowend was just as sucky as people said it would be and the topend was just as great as people said. Now 5 intake setups later lol, my lowend and topend are great and its time to move to other modifications.
care to list wat u did or wat u changed to get where u are now
Old 12-09-2008 | 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKKILA.GTR
care to list wat u did or wat u changed to get where u are now
The piping is 3"ID and that is the stock MAF housing. This is the best setup I've had. Every other set up I've had has thrown a CEL even the GAB. I had the idea for a while, because I think our MAFs are very sensitive to turbulance. So I knew I wanted a decently long straight lenght running to the housing. But I didn't want to use a larger housingand have everything tuned yet. Anyway this setup for me atleast is leaps and bounds better then the short ram setup I had. The throttle response and lowend torque is so much better. The stock coupler will be replace is a smooth silicon coupler eventually.

Oh as a side note I see that Injen has a new CAI for the G35-Z made the same way now. Larger piping with the stock sized maf housing intergrated.

Old 12-10-2008 | 01:16 PM

^^ hmm interesting... no problems having that breather on there and not connected to the midpipe huh?
Old 12-10-2008 | 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
^^ hmm interesting... no problems having that breather on there and not connected to the midpipe huh?
No sir, I got a longer lenght of hose to reattach it but.....lazy.
Old 12-10-2008 | 05:27 PM

This week I did a test run for a couple days with the valve disconnected and was disappointed at the results. Granted I didnt take it all the way out. But my power dropped off at about 3k and picked up again around 5.5k. Well that doesnt work for me because I dont like redlining my motor. I usually let off the gas right when it would start to pick up again. So I reconnected it and wham, felt like it added 15 hp back to the power.

Just my experience.
Old 12-21-2008 | 12:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

And now I know why Matt never posts on here any more...

Old 12-21-2008 | 11:57 AM

Ya srsly.

Old 12-26-2008 | 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
And now I know why Matt never posts on here any more...

Ya srsly.

indeed

I think it's time for lol. No offense to anyone but this information has been readily available for yrs now.

Bottom line is, one setup isn't "the best". It all depends on how YOU drive your car, and even still, to get the most out of whichever setup you choose, you MUST tune.
Old 12-26-2008 | 09:34 PM

I was talking about post #24. Pulling vacuum from the power valve doesn't do squat but kill your mid-range.
Old 12-28-2008 | 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
indeed

I think it's time for lol. No offense to anyone but this information has been readily available for yrs now.

Bottom line is, one setup isn't "the best". It all depends on how YOU drive your car, and even still, to get the most out of whichever setup you choose, you MUST tune.

wait...I thought you could just, like, you know, put mods on your car, and like, gain a lot of power without tuning your car

reminds me of a guy at nissanclub who thought you could plug in a safc and see results
Old 12-28-2008 | 11:59 PM

Thumbs up

Wow, I never knew the block plate had THAT much potential. Sure am glad it was my first mod. Looks like any manifold work I'll be doing will be later down the road WITH a tune, but these results reassure me that stock IM/block plate set up will suffice quite nicely for the time being.

Excellent thread, 5 stars.
Old 12-29-2008 | 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
wait...I thought you could just, like, you know, put mods on your car, and like, gain a lot of power without tuning your car

reminds me of a guy at nissanclub who thought you could plug in a safc and see results
I never venture into nissanclub, but if you told me this guy was on FreshAlloy I WOULD BELIEVE YOUR EVERY WORD

Im still surprised at the amount of guys in here that overlook the importance of tuning. Most use money as the excuse, when an AFC can be had for under $150... yet they do their 3.5 swaps with $800+ Cattman headers or $600 cams wondering why their setups don't seem to be working as good as it should. I had an SAFC-1 back when I just had the 3.0 with just a short ram intake and a y-pipe!
Old 12-29-2008 | 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
I never venture into nissanclub, but if you told me this guy was on FreshAlloy I WOULD BELIEVE YOUR EVERY WORD
I hope that is not a condescending statement towards nissanclub, seeing how I own an altima and use that site for most of my info...I will say though that I like to come on here and steal your guys ideas and mods. This site has a lot more technical info than nissanclub

Don't be hatin
Old 12-29-2008 | 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
I hope that is not a condescending statement towards nissanclub, seeing how I own an altima and use that site for most of my info...I will say though that I like to come on here and steal your guys ideas and mods. This site has a lot more technical info than nissanclub

Don't be hatin
re-read my statement. I never venture to nissanclub because I never looked in it, so I have nothing to say about it. F/A on the other hand- I have seen threads in there, and... mama taught me that "if you have nothing good to say dont say it at all", so I will hush
Old 01-11-2009 | 01:33 PM

Just a quick question. For the VIAS delete, you just remove that piece at the side of the manifold and cap it?
Old 01-12-2009 | 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by serdna
Just a quick question. For the VIAS delete, you just remove that piece at the side of the manifold and cap it?
yes, and you also have to plug up one of the vacuum hoses
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:36 PM

This is pretty interesting stuff. I was changing my spark plugs and looking for the gap measurement and info about taking off the IM and I came across this. I won't be able to tune my car for another month or month and a half, but I have the sh** I would need to gut the IM, so I think I'm gonna do that as well as delete the vias since I already have it off for the spark plugs. Kill two birds with one stone while I'm off from work. The amount of info on this site is F'n awesome.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by serdna
This is pretty interesting stuff. I was changing my spark plugs and looking for the gap measurement and info about taking off the IM and I came across this. I won't be able to tune my car for another month or month and a half, but I have the sh** I would need to gut the IM, so I think I'm gonna do that as well as delete the vias since I already have it off for the spark plugs. Kill two birds with one stone while I'm off from work. The amount of info on this site is F'n awesome.

If you can afford it might as well get the NWP spacers while you have the manifold off.
Old 01-14-2009 | 08:49 AM

^^ I actually looked into that, unfortunately at this moment, I can't afford to spend 200 bucks on items that aren't completely necessary. That will have to be done mid February right before I get a tune. I wish I could get the spacers while I have it off, but I'm out of work till Feb 1st so I'm on a budget.
Old 01-15-2009 | 09:22 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

How many of you who've done the VIAS block-off plate have automatics? Seems like most who've done this mod have 6 speeds. With 2 less gears to accelerate through, it stands to reason the drop off in power between 2800-3800 rpm would be more noticable.

Would it be better in my case to wait until I do the intake spacer to do the VIAS mod? Or are the gains from 3800 rpm up more than enough to make up for the midrange loss?
Old 01-15-2009 | 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
How many of you who've done the VIAS block-off plate have automatics? Seems like most who've done this mod have 6 speeds. With 2 less gears to accelerate through, it stands to reason the drop off in power between 2800-3800 rpm would be more noticable.

Would it be better in my case to wait until I do the intake spacer to do the VIAS mod? Or are the gains from 3800 rpm up more than enough to make up for the midrange loss?
I have an 05 altima, 5spd auto, and I did the vias plate about a month before I did the spacers. The low to mid range loss was somewhat noticeable, but the gain from 3500 up more than made up for the minimal loss. If you are debating on doing this mod, then quit...just do it, it will be the best 30 bucks you have spent on your car, and there are dyno numbers to prove it

Quick Reply: Stock 3.5 IM vs. VIAS delete vs. SSIM dyno comparo