All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

4th Gen DE-K and Tranny swap Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 AM

4th Gen DE-K and Tranny swap Q's

Before someone yells at me to search the forums, know that I have searched, compiled a list of parts and to-do's, and I have both FSM's. I just want to double check and make sure I'm not going to have any surprises when I do the swap.

So, I have a 95 Max, 170,xxx miles, and bad timing chain tensioners. IMO its more cost effective to do the DE-K swap. I can also feel my Auto tranny starting to act up a bit, so I'm swapping that as well. No, I'm not doing a 5spd swap, I don't want to. It has come to my attention though that there are a lot of Canadian tranny's running around in my neck of the woods, and they seem to have had the option of a locking diff. So I will go that route.

So I'll start with my list of things to do, and please feel free to step in and let me know if I'm missing anything or if I have anything wrong. When I do the swap I plan on taking ton's of pics and documenting everything so I can put together somewhat of a walkthrough. I know Ceasar's Chariot did a DE-K swap for dummmies, but he decided not to keep the EGR, and he already had the 00VI swap that he had to swap back over to the DE-K, so it made things a little muddy, although there was still a ton of info there. So here goes it.

I will be using a 2000 Fed-spec DE-K, 5th gen injectors and fuel rail, 5th gen TB, and necessary EGR, etc., 4th gen ecu and harness, 4th gen AT with locking diff.

-Use EGR from 4th gen, using the 5th gen guide tube to the manifold.
-Bell housing, cam poss, TPS, and coolant log sensors will be swapped.
-Splice the 5th gen injector clips onto the 4th gen harness.
-Plug the coolant lines on the 5th gen TB, (or somehow run them into the coolant log or somewhere?)
-Some modification with mounting the vacuum galley to the coolant log.
-Apparently some people have to extend the harness for the TPS, some don't.
-Swap EGR, MAP, and EVAP solenoids.
-Mount the EVAP on DE-K manifold and hook up vacuum.
-There's an extra vacuum outlet/inlet on the VIAS that can be routed to the intake for fresh air, no real purpose in 4th gen.
-Use an RPM switch or something else to control opening of the VI.

Now onto my quesitons.

1) Using this setup, could I leave the IACV attached to the bottom of the 5th gen TB? Does the EGR junk get in the way? I see alot of people buying the adapter plates and relocating them. If I go that route I read that alot of people are having to use bigger barb's and lines to remedy the idle problem.

2) I've read that the 5th gen injectors are slightly bigger and therefore will cause the engine to run a little rich. So I will need an aftermarket AFR/controller?

3) There is a fuel buffer of some sort between the fuel line and the fuel rail. Some people remove it and use custom fittings, some people leave it. Any benefits/problems with leaving it?

4) Will a Greddy E-manage be able to manage the VIAS? I know it's able to controll V-TEC, but thats something thats already controlled by the ECU in Honda's. In this case my 4th gen ECU doesnt even know what a VIAS is. This could potentially handle my VIAS control as well as my AFR. Two birds, one stone.

5) Quick tranny Q. Are the axles different between non-locking and locking diffs? i'm replacing them anyways, and I know I'll probably find out when I go to order the parts, but it's still nice to know.

I think that should be everything. Please chime in if I got it right or wrong, or if I missed anything. I want to be as prepared as possible as I'll be performing this swap over a weekend, hopefully all in one long day.

Or if theres anyone in the Seattle area that has done this swap, maybe I could get a peak under your hood, to see how you dealt with these issues.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 AM
No more Maximas...

More cost effective to swap a DE-K? It doesn't cost that much for a timing chain tensioner, and it only takes a few hours to install. Would be interesting to know the thought process behind that.

In any case...

You won't need an AFC, but it's recommended. Can be found through search.

Which Emanage? The EU can be used to activate the VIAS, not sure about the blue. Can be found through search.

Driver's side axle is different for VLSD. Can be found through search

A33 IACV shouldn't interfere with the EGR equipment, no (IIRC).
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by aaron-san
4) Will a Greddy E-manage be able to manage the VIAS? I know it's able to controll V-TEC, but thats something thats already controlled by the ECU in Honda's. In this case my 4th gen ECU doesnt even know what a VIAS is. This could potentially handle my VIAS control as well as my AFR. Two birds, one stone.
In additionto the above post, to control the VIAS with the emanage, you would have to extend the VIAS control wire from the emanage harness to the VIAS selinoid itself. Someone correct me if i'm wrong or if there is an easier way. But i've seen it done this way with a VAFC and it works just fine.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:08 PM

1) Using this setup, could I leave the IACV attached to the bottom of the 5th gen TB? Does the EGR junk get in the way? I see alot of people buying the adapter plates and relocating them. If I go that route I read that alot of people are having to use bigger barb's and lines to remedy the idle problem.
The 5th gen IACV gets in the way of the vaccum gallery in the 4th gen. But if you're doing a full swap, then I don't think there will be a problem with this. I relocated my IACV and did not need used a bigger barb but I kept the vaccum line for that as short as possible and near the intake manifold. Idles fine so far.

2) I've read that the 5th gen injectors are slightly bigger and therefore will cause the engine to run a little rich. So I will need an aftermarket AFR/controller?
Yes the 5th gen injectors are a little bigger but not bad. I noticed my MPG decrease because I'm enjoying the power more but if I drive like a normal person, then I can still get the same MPG as before.

3) There is a fuel buffer of some sort between the fuel line and the fuel rail. Some people remove it and use custom fittings, some people leave it. Any benefits/problems with leaving it?
If I remember correctly, the 4th gen does have an extra fuel damper in the lines so when running the 5th gen fuel rail, you can eliminate the extra fuel damper the 5th gen has.

I think this question is answered in the previous post.

5) Quick tranny Q. Are the axles different between non-locking and locking diffs? i'm replacing them anyways, and I know I'll probably find out when I go to order the parts, but it's still nice to know.
no idea?

Not sure if this would help but here is a link of when I did my 00VI swap. I used the 5th gen TB with blockoff plate and adapter to run 4th gen IACV, kept the EGR system and EVAP. If you were to use the 4th gen IACV, you wouldn't need to worry about the coolent lines in the 5th gen throttle body.

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...formation.html
Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 PM

Thought process was actually initiated by a few fellow org members. If I pull the thing apart to change one tensioner, if it is only one that needs to be replaced, I might as well do the works while I'm in there. That's just the kind of guy I am. So with that, I'm looking at around $1000 in parts alone. Or, I get a DE-K for roughly $800, I'm finding the tranny for $600, swap em out, along with all of the other maintenance that I've been looking for an excuse to do. Plus I gain a bit of power from it, and VLSD. Maybe not to anyone else, but to me it makes more sense.

Anywho, thanks for all the input guys. I searched and found alot of the answers that ya'll gave, but then I also found answers that stated the contrary. Some people say one thing while other's tell you another.

So, the E-manage I was referring to is the blue Greddy. I figured whatever wire from the e-manage that was supposed to tap into the V-tec wire in a Honda ecu could be ran to the VIAS to activate it at a set point. I was curious if anyone had any experience with it. I guess the Apex SAFC or VAFC would work just as well. Thanks for all the input guys. Cleared up alot of questions.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 PM

if you're finding a dek for $800 u need to keep looking.
as for the swap, dont stress it man. i had never done an engine swap before, never thought i would ever be able to handle one, but here i am today having done a swap of some sort (de>dek or dek>back to de) 4-5 times in the last 2 months. Its not hard at all, just time consuming. Just swap your vacuum lines over, swap your accessories, all of your sensors. Download the FSM if you havent done so b/c u may need to read the vacuum diagrams. I cant comment on EGR because the 01vi has a block off plate, and i just removed it all together. Good luck, have fun in the cold.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Thank's for the encouragement. I'm still looking for cheaper, but I'm definitely trying to get something with somewhat low mileage. I need to start looking more in the more rural areas. Everything's more expensive the closer you get to the city.