All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Whats the best way to Build a FWD VQ35 Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 AM

Whats the best way to Build a FWD VQ35 Block

Normally I try not to make threads but, I kinda got the itch for this one.

I realize there's not alot of aftermarket surpport for the FWD Block, and I was wondering what can be used to achieve well at least 4-500 HP safely.

Is there anything that can be Used from the HR motor, Besides the Retainers, Springs, etc or is that basically it, sorry if this question has been asked before.

I realize that these cars can potentially see 12-13"s fairly easy. I am sure its ridiculously hard to swap a 350z ECM, thats probably impossible due to it being RWD correct! I remember reading something that someone Used a TurboXS ECM tuner and got the Base Map 350z If I read that correctly.

It be nice to have a nice sleeper that could beat alot of cars out there, and not have to go out and Buy a 350z

I have contacted a few places and asked if they do built motors for the FWD Block, I have only heard back from one of them which is Z1 Motorsports, they told me they have no plans to surpport that platform, and that they only do 350z-G35's.

Last edited by STILLENGLE; 04-16-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

You can find most of your answers on these forums in various threads, and many more on my350z.com forums.

Just to get you started > 99.9% of RWD VQ35DE parts (nonrevup) fit/work fine with ours. This includes rods, pistons, valvetrain, cams etc etc etc. Basically what this means is that we're not as power limited as you're afraid of. Also many HR parts are usable, and revup oil pumps are pretty commonly used as well. Around 5-8gs (including machine work) could build you a longblock capabale of anywhere from 600-800whp safely with maximum potential over 1000 with a highend build.

On another note, a stock 3.5 block is usually good for a safe 400-425ish whp with a proper tune. There have been several over 500 that went without blowing for 10k+ miles, but obviously not the way to go for reliability. There's a thread on the my350z forums with a compiled list of who's blown their engines, at what power level, etc etc.

For tuning, yes you can wire up a turboxs UTEC that's made for the G35/350Z and tune with that. I just fished my install and that's in a thread a few posts below this one. You could also use a Haltech standalone for the 350z/G35 if you want to get a little more serious with proper customer support and updates (TXS is fail in this category).
Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
You can find most of your answers on these forums in various threads, and many more on my350z.com forums.

Just to get you started > 99.9% of RWD VQ35DE parts (nonrevup) fit/work fine with ours. This includes rods, pistons, valvetrain, cams etc etc etc. Basically what this means is that we're not as power limited as you're afraid of. Also many HR parts are usable, and revup oil pumps are pretty commonly used as well. Around 5-8gs (including machine work) could build you a longblock capabale of anywhere from 600-800whp safely with maximum potential over 1000 with a highend build.

On another note, a stock 3.5 block is usually good for a safe 400-425ish whp with a proper tune. There have been several over 500 that went without blowing for 10k+ miles, but obviously not the way to go for reliability. There's a thread on the my350z forums with a compiled list of who's blown their engines, at what power level, etc etc.

For tuning, yes you can wire up a turboxs UTEC that's made for the G35/350Z and tune with that. I just fished my install and that's in a thread a few posts below this one. You could also use a Haltech standalone for the 350z/G35 if you want to get a little more serious with proper customer support and updates (TXS is fail in this category).
thank's that helped alot, its not very often where you see a maxima with 6-800 WHP, at that point you'd be snapping axles left and right. Isn't it somewhat difficult to tune the ECU's in the maxima's because the Protocol's are very picky and would take alot of time to figure a good tune out no? I have contacted Cobb Tuning about this and that's what they told me otherwise they'd have a Cobb Tuner out for Maxima, Altima etc, they said eventually make one but not sure when. apparently the 350z use's an easier protocol to crack through, if they could crack through the GTR Id imagine they be able to do it with the maxima.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
No more Maximas...

You could do a Z33 ECU and harness swap, but you would need to figure something out with the connections to the dash harness, making the gauge cluster work, taking apart and lengthening/trimming the engine control harness because of the layout differences, etc.

It's definitely doable, just not easily or cheaply. But with that, you could potentially put in a revup harness/ECU and throw revup heads on there...

Hmm.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You could do a Z33 ECU and harness swap, but you would need to figure something out with the connections to the dash harness, making the gauge cluster work, taking apart and lengthening/trimming the engine control harness because of the layout differences, etc.

It's definitely doable, just not easily or cheaply. But with that, you could potentially put in a revup harness/ECU and throw revup heads on there...

Hmm.
thats the problem it be cost effective, Did I give you an idea.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Hmm.
That's way too much trouble and money when you could just ditch the maxima ECU and hook up a Haltech, lol!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
That's way too much trouble and money when you could just ditch the maxima ECU and hook up a Haltech, lol!
ha ha, They have a few EM, Not sure which one to get lol.

wouldn't you have to fiddle with the wire harness on the Haltech, to get it to match up the pin points on the engine management,
Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 PM

Why not just stick to Emanage Ultimate? i mean you got injector controls, maf, timing, only thing is you dont have cam controls. Im sticking to my emanage blue for my new built motor. im looking at bout 400-500hp range.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Why not just stick to Emanage Ultimate? i mean you got injector controls, maf, timing, only thing is you dont have cam controls. Im sticking to my emanage blue for my new built motor. im looking at bout 400-500hp range.
Cause Haltech is better, From my understanding I could take the car to the Nissan dealer and have them upload the 03-04 350z Map onto the ECU, this is what I am being told by someone at my350z.com
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Was Just In contact with Forged Performance, and their stroker kits for the 350z and G35 will fit the FWD VQ35 Block how sweet is that, talk about More HP.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
Was Just In contact with Forged Performance, and their stroker kits for the 350z and G35 will fit the FWD VQ35 Block how sweet is that, talk about More HP.
Of course, the blocks are 99% identical.

We did a 4.2L AEBS kit on an Altima at AAM, coupled with an SFR kit with a bigger turbo.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We could've told you that.

And you should go with a UTEC.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Of course, the blocks are 99% identical.

We did a 4.2L AEBS kit on an Altima at AAM, coupled with an SFR kit with a bigger turbo.
what was the power output?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What are your goals? All-motor? Boost? I'm still not sure what direction you want to head in. Pretty general/vague inquiries...
Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
What are your goals? All-motor? Boost? I'm still not sure what direction you want to head in. Pretty general/vague inquiries...
well when I get a 6 speed, I wanna make at least 5-600 HP if not more, only problem is worrying about breaking axles and no traction lol. I wanna hit at least 10's to 11's.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
No more Maximas...

what was the power output?
Sadly, it wasn't finished by the time I had left, and looking at their website, still isn't.

A few pics I took back then:

Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 PM
No more Maximas...

well when I get a 6 speed, I wanna make at least 5-600 HP if not more, only problem is worrying about breaking axles and no traction lol. I wanna hit at least 10's to 11's.
Hell, you don't need a built engine or a stroker kit to hit 10s, just take a look at Jime.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM

Hell, you don't need a built engine or a stroker kit to hit 10s, just take a look at Jime.
I am not to familiar who that is? what website did you find that block on, what that on Forged Performance. is Jime the one with the red 4th gen, isn't he running spray?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
No more Maximas...

I am not to familiar who that is? what website did you find that block on, what that on Forged Performance. is Jime the one with the red 4th gen, isn't he running spray?
He's spraying for 10s, 11s NA.

What block? The pics I took? That's the one we built at AAM, I took those pics.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 PM

He's spraying for 10s, 11s NA.

What block? The pics I took? That's the one we built at AAM, I took those pics.
I consider spraying cheating Id rather have an all motor do that! his is all motor as well correct?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
No more Maximas...

I consider spraying cheating Id rather have an all motor do that! his is all motor as well correct?
Cheating? Interesting...

Again, as above: spray for 10s, NA for 11s.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Cheating? Interesting...

I am sure Id go hit 10's with the stroker kit and a turbo kit. If I did the V1 Id have to switch over to 3.0 Timing components.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Ok so I figured out what I want to do. Its gonna cost a bit of money but once I have enough saved up I am gonna buy a 6 speed 5.5 gen.

I am gonna go with a Brian Crower Stroker kit.

also gonna get the Darton sleeves, gonna need that for the larger pistons that come with the stroker kit.

more then Likely Ill go with the 3.8L stroker kit, only problem Is Ill need to find good axles cause I don't want them to snap.

More then Likely I go with a some what Mild Cam but that could change.

also I wanna go with Brian Crower Heads, that should give me a pretty decently built motor. I am hoping I can run over 6-9 Psi of boost with no problem with that. I am hoping to push it to at least 15 PSI. Crower has some of the best stuff out. I am shooting for the 11's low 10's possibly. I am also considering Sparying so well see.

I am gonna need some decent DR's as well just don't know which yet maybe Ill go with BF Goodrich something along those lines or some Mickeys.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 AM

For axles contact Driveshaft Shop and tell them your power goal and they will make you some axles for the power.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 AM
3.5 in the works

Cheating? Interesting...

Did I miss something? No one's run an 11 N/A yet AFAIK...
Old 05-12-2009, 09:15 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Did I miss something? No one's run an 11 N/A yet AFAIK...
Oops, you're right. Jime's 11 second run was on a 50 shot, for some reason I thought it was NA. His fastest run all motor was 12.3.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

So I was reading a little bit about Transmission upgrades. I read that the Pulsar and a GTI-R or something along those lines share the same transmission as the Maxima. So there for we can use a PPG Tranny, I figure we me going to be running a stroker kit and possibly a Turbo it be a wise thing to do.

Now My question is, Do they make a PPG 6 speed set it would it be wise to get a 1-4 Gear set and just get a Regular 5-6 gears. Are you able to use Neutral with a PPG tranny. and just the clutch pedal for stoping and going, Kinda like a Manual Valve Body.

Ive read that it would be wise to get the straight cut snycromesh gear set, due to the Dog Box being strictly a Racing tranny, and that they make noise's all the time. I will be driving this car from time to time on the street.

How does my plan sound so far. If I stayed with the 6 speed tranny would it be wise just to upgrade the gears without the PPG, Or will stock gears hold 4-500 HP? How about adding 350z Gears? Or even the 350z Clutch or would you go with a ACT stage 2.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM

hummm. all those parts seem to be very expensive... down the road, i plan on doing eagle rods, cp pistons, sleeves, head studs, good head gaskets, and i think this will be more than enough for 600 whp with a safe tune at 20 psi. i think with all those great parts you want, you should be good for 30 psi on race gas. if you dont snap the drive train , then 10's for sure. IMO i think that sleeves arent needed till after 600 whp.. but i havent done much research
Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Right But Id have to worry about snaping axles as well.

What I may do is get the stroker kit and meth and see how I do with that, If it meets my expectations ill forget about boosting it, I wanna hit 11's to 10's 9"s possibly. I figure with the Stroker kit Ill produce over 400 HP with a 3.8L kit I may go for the 4.2L Kit or 4.3L depends.

Ill get the BC Heads as well.

Last edited by STILLENGLE; 05-15-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Right But Id have to worry about snaping axles as well.

What I may do is get the stroker kit and meth and see how I do with that, If it meets my expectations ill forget about boosting it, I wanna hit 11's to 10's 9"s possibly. I figure with the Stroker kit Ill produce over 400 HP with a 3.8L kit I may go for the 4.2L Kit or 4.3L depends.

Ill get the BC Heads as well.
No one has a response? how much HP can I expect out of this?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Response to what exacltly? seems to me like your unsure of what exactly it is that you want, you want to runs 11, 10, and now 9's. Its ok to day dream a bit, i do it, but realistically sit down and think of what exactly it is you want and can afford. Building a fast car is not just about engine either. suspension, traction, weight distribution, oh and importantly, a good driver, etc..

you cant just assume power output based on what parts your going to spend money on. there are way to many factors to consider, not everything is about the hardware. theres also the software factor, you can have the best engine build, and have the worse tune ever and put out as much power as stock (an example).
Old 05-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Response to what exacltly? seems to me like your unsure of what exactly it is that you want, you want to runs 11, 10, and now 9's. Its ok to day dream a bit, i do it, but realistically sit down and think of what exactly it is you want and can afford. Building a fast car is not just about engine either. suspension, traction, weight distribution, oh and importantly, a good driver, etc..

you cant just assume power output based on what parts your going to spend money on. there are way to many factors to consider, not everything is about the hardware. theres also the software factor, you can have the best engine build, and have the worse tune ever and put out as much power as stock (an example).
Well my goal is 5-600 HP, the Artisan Altima is putting out 457 HP with a Turbonetics T-65 Turbo? If they can achieve that with just a Turbo thats pretty good!

But before I do the turbo I wanna see what I get out of the Stroker Kit first!

Basically I wanna see what I all motor will do without the turbo? I figure with the motor built it would hold much more boost then 9-10 PSI, probably can go to 15 or more. I wanna run a Meth Kit as well.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:10 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Well my goal is 5-600 HP, the Artisan Altima is putting out 457 HP with a Turbonetics T-65 Turbo? If they can achieve that with just a Turbo thats pretty good!

But before I do the turbo I wanna see what I get out of the Stroker Kit first!

Basically I wanna see what I all motor will do without the turbo? I figure with the motor built it would hold much more boost then 9-10 PSI, probably can go to 15 or more. I wanna run a Meth Kit as well.
Well, let's look at this one...

A 3.8L kit will increase your displacement 9% - a 4.2L kit will add 20% displacement over the 3.5. How much WHP do you think you can get out of the 3.5? 250? 260? 270? Let's say you work a minor miracle and get 270WHP out of a much-modded 11:1 compression NA 3.5 - the 3.8 might make 290 WHP, and the 4.2L kit might make 320 WHP, but there are no guarantees here.. And if you build for boost, that means you have to use low compression pistons (8.5:1). This guarantees that you won't make 250WHP out of a low-compression 3.5L - 230WHP would be remarkable..

Looks like you need to study and plan some more.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Well, let's look at this one...

A 3.8L kit will increase your displacement 9% - a 4.2L kit will add 20% displacement over the 3.5. How much WHP do you think you can get out of the 3.5? 250? 260? 270? Let's say you work a minor miracle and get 270WHP out of a much-modded 11:1 compression NA 3.5 - the 3.8 might make 290 WHP, and the 4.2L kit might make 320 WHP, but there are no guarantees here.. And if you build for boost, that means you have to use low compression pistons (8.5:1). This guarantees that you won't make 250WHP out of a low-compression 3.5L - 230WHP would be remarkable..

Looks like you need to study and plan some more.
The Pistons that come with the Brian Crower Kit are the low compression pistons. If my car will make 320 WHP with just the stroker kit alone, I am sure the Turbo will add to that maybe another 100 HP? I wanna get the heads as well.

But you figure If I built the motor with the stroker kit and Turbo I will be able to bump my boost up with out having to worry? Plus I wanna run a Meth Kit, so that will give me another 50-100 Hp right there. Of coarse I am gonna need Engine Management I wanna tune a Programmable Map for the Meth or see if I could possibly use E-85.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

The Pistons that come with the Brian Crower Kit are the low compression pistons. If my car will make 320 WHP with just the stroker kit alone, I am sure the Turbo will add to that maybe another 100 HP? I wanna get the heads as well.

But you figure If I built the motor with the stroker kit and Turbo I will be able to bump my boost up with out having to worry? Plus I wanna run a Meth Kit, so that will give me another 50-100 Hp right there. Of coarse I am gonna need Engine Management I wanna tune a Programmable Map for the Meth or see if I could possibly use E-85.
Low compression pistons? You won't make 320 WHP with any stroker kit if you're not boosting or spraying - maybe 260-280 if you can get a good tune.. You still need to decide which way you're going to go - NA or turbo. Build for that. And plan on spending $10K or more to complete the project.

I'm making 405WHP on a 3.5L w/eBay cams and 175-shot of nitrous. Everything else is "stock". My Cosworth-based built 3.5 is being assembled in my garage now. This engine should be interesting....

Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Low compression pistons? You won't make 320 WHP with any stroker kit if you're not boosting or spraying - maybe 260-280 if you can get a good tune.. You still need to decide which way you're going to go - NA or turbo. Build for that. And plan on spending $10K or more to complete the project.

I'm making 405WHP on a 3.5L w/eBay cams and 175-shot of nitrous. Everything else is "stock". My Cosworth-based built 3.5 is being assembled in my garage now. This engine should be interesting....

thats understandable but how could the Artisan Altima be pushing over 475 HP?

I wanna be able to keep up and beat STi's etc.

I wanna see if I could get the T-65 instead of the T-62 that comes with the Turbo kit? I may also just get a Blouch Turbo or FP Red.

So I went on Blouch site and Found 2 turbo's

the T04E GT61 rated for a 3.5L Engine
http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/Ga...T04ET04S_GT61/

The GT67 rated for a 4.0L Motor I figure If I am gonna be running a 4.2L stroker kit I might as well use this turbo. On the other hand If I decide to run the 3.8L Kit Ill run the GT61 if it won't hurt anything.
http://www.blouchturbo.com/turbos/Ga...tage_5_082_AR/

I am gonna search and try for find something from FP.

Last edited by STILLENGLE; 05-16-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:21 PM

not sure where you get your information from, but your not going to make 50-100 HP from meth, no way in hell, this coming from someone with experience with meth. meth is not a power adder.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 AM

not sure where you get your information from, but your not going to make 50-100 HP from meth, no way in hell, this coming from someone with experience with meth. meth is not a power adder.

Well doesn't it act as a octane booster kinda.

This is really confusing the Artisan Altima is pushing 475 HP on 12 Pounds of boost? I am just curious if they're using a stroker kit or something else.

There's no way in hell just a turbo kit could make that kind of power Because just the turbo kit alone on the max was like max 390 HP? that was with the SFR Kit.

There was another guy on here as well with an auto Max that is turbo'ed pushing like 374 and he's got New Pistons Rods etc. I am getting a little confused here. What I probably do is get a bigger turbo the T-65 thats used on the Artisan Altima. I wanna see If it be cheaper to have my heads port and polished or to just go with BC heads. I may also go with his Valve Springs and what not as well.

I am gonna use some HR Parts as well, Nismo Makes an Oil pump I wanna see if there's a difference between that and the HR Pump. ill more then likely use the HR Head gaskets because there alot more thicker only thing I gotta modify is the coolant passage, I gotta make the hole slightly bigger.

I hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction for this. I know a sound like an idiot but from reading other sources its got me thinking.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Well doesn't it act as a octane booster kinda.

This is really confusing the Artisan Altima is pushing 475 HP on 12 Pounds of boost? I am just curious if they're using a stroker kit or something else.

There's no way in hell just a turbo kit could make that kind of power Because just the turbo kit alone on the max was like max 390 HP? that was with the SFR Kit.

There was another guy on here as well with an auto Max that is turbo'ed pushing like 374 and he's got New Pistons Rods etc. I am getting a little confused here. What I probably do is get a bigger turbo the T-65 thats used on the Artisan Altima. I wanna see If it be cheaper to have my heads port and polished or to just go with BC heads. I may also go with his Valve Springs and what not as well.

I am gonna use some HR Parts as well, Nismo Makes an Oil pump I wanna see if there's a difference between that and the HR Pump. ill more then likely use the HR Head gaskets because there alot more thicker only thing I gotta modify is the coolant passage, I gotta make the hole slightly bigger.

I hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction for this. I know a sound like an idiot but from reading other sources its got me thinking.
Yea meth increases octane, but increasing octane does not increase power. It only allows you to increase your timing and/or boost with less chance of knocking. But meth alone, or even putting straight race gas alone will not make you more power.

Why do you say theres no way that car could be making that power at that boost level? Like I had said before, there are LOTS of factors you gotta consider man, timing, boost, cfm's, etc.. my buddy Alvaro (aic96max), put down 395WHP (basically 400), on his 3.0 maxima on only like 9psi. Again on a 3.0. you dont need to have stroker kit, and go spending $20,000 worth of hardware to make that kind of power. It all depends on the turbo, how much timing, how much air flow, etc... I say you do a bit of homework before you consider getting into buying things.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 05-17-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 AM

RPM NYC Say this on NYC Maxima's

ERL M.I.D block w. billet girdle.
CP pistons 8.8:1, Eagle rods.
Cosworth HG and Head Studs.
BC Stg 3 cams 272* w/ BC Springs, Ti Retainers.
Supertech valves, reshim the head.
Port out the heads, 5 angle valve job.

Leave the 6spd alone, get beefier axles.

Meth can be used as a power adder if properly tuned.

Stand Alone: Power FC RB26DETT D Jetro (MAP sensor) can be wired to run a VQ30/35, requires 370cc or higher injectors, or RB25DET L Jetro w/ Z32 MAF. Requires resistor pack for injectors depending on which injectors you will use and require a jumper harness to be made to plug in your original harness to a RB ECU plug, or you can pin-in a RB ECU plug with the pins necessary to run a VQ. (Firing order is different on both platforms, requires a way to read the dizzy of a RB to translate to CKP on VQ.) *NATS will have to be bypassed*

350z harness can be used on your motor, wiring extensions needed, and repin plug to cluster. (Will need to use your A33 harness plug to use on Z33.) Then you can plug in whatever Standalone supported for Z33.

Source down VQ30DET (Cima Y33) ECU and convert to NIStune programable ROM, requires repin of ecu plug. Use this route if AutoMatic.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to Build a FWD VQ35 Block