All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Acronyms / Links vq35

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Acronyms / Links vq35

I have some simple questions about vq35 and have spent the last couple of days reading up on it but I believe all I have done is create more questions. For some vq35 swaps I have hear incredible numbers on the dyno, and on the other hand I have heard many disappointments. In the other threads we have a list of acronyms for newbies just starting in that section of the form...but not here in the advanced engine. I realize I might get flamed for this but here goes:

Ultimately I have a stock vq30 that is going to need to be swapped out soon. Im debating on which engine to get. The current configuration is 00vi, fidanza flywheel, budget Y-pipe, 96 FED spec manual JWT ECU w rpm raised to 7200. I know that all of these will swap over to a vq35. I was considering swapping over the electrical to make the vq35 ecu work until I read up on it....yuk

From what I have been reading and told there are some substantial numbers to gain from a vq35 swap....but you can also make nice numbers from a DEK (98SEBlackMax). http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...0dek-swap.html

In a nutshell if I do this swap I really want to break 250wHp is that a feasible thing or am I about to get flamed for asking that?

Acronyms and simple answers:

HU pistons - what car did these come from/or aftermarket manufacture

HU heads - same as above

Rev-up cams - Is this just a factory nissan 350z cams

dif between 350z and max/altima vq35 (other than the 350z is NOT going to fit) - is it a head/cams thing

dif between vq35 out of a max/altima and a SE-R altima - Is there a differenc

actual hp gains from swapping over the entire electrical system to make the stock ECU work (other than being a huge pain in the ***)

knock sensor on the vq35 (if your using the 3.0 ECU - you better use a diod)
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...y-request.html

Has the there ever been a 00vi IM modified to fit on a vq35? (taken a DEK lower and the bottom IM from a vq35 and cut welded and smoothed out the runners to make these to compatible. Hell is there even a reason to do this as the vq35 head flow so much better than a DEK?

If you have anything else that is commonly asked, lets add it. Also any links (other than whats currently in the stickies) that people seam to consistently ask about, especially since this swap is becoming popular.

I have links to several of these questions and will update later

Last edited by sergofast; 04-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast
I have some simple questions about vq35 and have spent the last couple of days reading up on it but I believe all I have done is create more questions. For some vq35 swaps I have hear incredible numbers on the dyno, and on the other hand I have heard many disappointments. In the other threads we have a list of acronyms for newbies just starting in that section of the form...but not here in the advanced engine. I realize I might get flamed for this but here goes:

Ultimately I have a stock vq30 that is going to need to be swapped out soon. Im debating on which engine to get. The current configuration is 00vi, fidanza flywheel, budget Y-pipe, 96 FED spec manual JWT ECU w rpm raised to 7200. I know that all of these will swap over to a vq35. I was considering swapping over the electrical to make the vq35 ecu work until I read up on it....yuk

From what I have been reading and told there are some substantial numbers to gain from a vq35 swap....but you can also make nice numbers from a DEK (98SEBlackMax). http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...0dek-swap.html

In a nutshell if I do this swap I really want to break 250wHp is that a feasible thing or am I about to get flamed for asking that?

You shouldnt have much trouble breaking 250 if you have the essentials: headers, exhaust, intake, tune. However, I would reconsider doing a full swap if I were you, you will definitely be happier with the results. Pretty much everyone that goes that direction says it was worth it

Acronyms and simple answers:

HR pistons - what car did these come from/or aftermarket manufacture
These come from the vq35hr on the 07,08 350z, and the S versions of the g35 sedan in those years

HR heads - same as above

Rev-up cams - Is this just a factory nissan 350z cams
These are from the 300 Hp z, found in the pre-07 350z. Also can be found in the 300 Hp g35 coupe and I *think* some sedans

dif between 350z and max/altima vq35 (other than the 350z is NOT going to fit) - is it a head/cams thing
theres a complete thread on this in the stickies

dif between vq35 out of a max/altima and a SE-R altima - Is there a differenc
no real difference, ECU

actual hp gains from swapping over the entire electrical system to make the stock ECU work (other than being a huge pain in the ***)

knock sensor on the vq35 (if your using the 3.0 ECU - you better use a diod)
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...y-request.html

If you have anything else that is commonly asked, lets add it. Also any links (other than whats currently in the stickies) that people seam to consistently ask about, especially since this swap is becoming popular.

I have links to several of these questions and will update later
most/all of those things are answered in the stickies and from search
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
most/all of those things are answered in the stickies and from search

Awesome! thanks for the info!!!

Yes they are. And I have been reading for hours now. for example I know now that a a 350z revup timing chain cover will bolt up....but the accessories wont... and the heads will to with minor cooling changes to the water jacket....but here is the kicker....i have read all this stuff on what a 350z revup crap that will bolt up....but still have no f'in clue as to what a "revup" is. Simply what is the difference in the heads on a 350z and any other vq35 motor http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...ecu-build.html

Sorry if this is newby.... but I was hoping that if you are familure with these topics and on this part of the forum a bit...perhaps we can just hmmm....post the answers.

Im pretty mechanically inclined and technical....but what you dont know you dont know....and all you know is what youve learned....but you havent learned all there is to learn.

These may seam like very simple quesitons to a bunch here...but if you dont know them, and they are refered to alot and you keep reading what they do...but never get down to the simple of what the HELL they are or vice versa you get the drift...its very frustrating

that is all....rant over lol

Last edited by sergofast; 04-06-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 PM

And perhaps if we add to this enough....it can be sticky worthy
Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM

You shouldnt have much trouble breaking 250 if you have the essentials: headers, exhaust, intake, tune. However, I would reconsider doing a full swap if I were you, you will definitely be happier with the results. Pretty much everyone that goes that direction says it was worth it
When you say "Full Swap" are you talking about the ECU swap? I have the essentials: headers, exhaust, intake, tune. (well headers are 3.0 manifolds w a y pipe, but i know that the 3.0 manifolds are close to headers for the vq35 because of the restrictive factory manifolds w pre-cats)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 AM

Awesome! thanks for the info!!!

Yes they are. And I have been reading for hours now. for example I know now that a a 350z revup timing chain cover will bolt up....but the accessories wont... and the heads will to with minor cooling changes to the water jacket....but here is the kicker....i have read all this stuff on what a 350z revup crap that will bolt up....but still have no f'in clue as to what a "revup" is. Simply what is the difference in the heads on a 350z and any other vq35 motor http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...ecu-build.html

Sorry if this is newby.... but I was hoping that if you are familure with these topics and on this part of the forum a bit...perhaps we can just hmmm....post the answers.

Im pretty mechanically inclined and technical....but what you dont know you dont know....and all you know is what youve learned....but you havent learned all there is to learn.

These may seam like very simple quesitons to a bunch here...but if you dont know them, and they are refered to alot and you keep reading what they do...but never get down to the simple of what the HELL they are or vice versa you get the drift...its very frustrating

that is all....rant over lol
revups have different cams, they have vtcs on the exhaust side, different rod bolts, different lower intake manifold collector

When you say "Full Swap" are you talking about the ECU swap? I have the essentials: headers, exhaust, intake, tune. (well headers are 3.0 manifolds w a y pipe, but i know that the 3.0 manifolds are close to headers for the vq35 because of the restrictive factory manifolds w pre-cats)
yes, full swap with VQ35DE ECU
Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

You refer to the 350z in general. There are 2 engine 'models' of the Z family. One being 'normal' the other being Revup .. and then there's the HR.

but still have no f'in clue as to what a "revup" is. Simply what is the difference in the heads on a 350z and any other vq35 motor
Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
You refer to the 350z in general. There are 2 engine 'models' of the Z family. One being 'normal' the other being Revup .. and then there's the HR.
Thanks. I just found this article too....very informative (especially if your out of the loop like me)

http://www.articlesbase.com/automoti...e-2088796.html

I especially like the qoute at the end about the power difference between the 08 max vs 350 z

"In its final year of use in 2007, the Nissan 350Z engine motivated the car from zero to sixty in 5.8 seconds."

"The Nissan Maxima engine makes the Nissan Maxima slightly slower than the Nissan 350Z because of the difference in power output. The Nissan Maxima engine propels the Maxima to a zero to 60 time of 5.8 seconds."

Last edited by sergofast; 04-08-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 AM

yes, full swap with VQ35DE ECU
I am leaning that direction myself....infact it was a rental 6th gen maxima that made me come home after a trip, sell my b13 ser and buy a maxima....hence how i ended up with my 4th gen At the time I could have never afforded a brand new max, but i loved the power that car had!

I only have three main concerns about doing a full swap:

1. only having 80% power at WOT and iirc retarded/advanced timing as the computer sees fit.... I read about this; the drive by wire and how there is no way to get around it. I dont see any JWT ECUs for the vq35

2. is one of the main difference between running a 3.0 ECU vs the 3.5 ECU a better power curve on HP and TQ? That alone would make me want to work through number 3.
http://forums.maxima.org/4296207-post7.html

3. getting all of the accesories to work with the 3.5 ECU (AC, Cruise, Power steering, ect) Theres a work around for these....but GOOD LORD! lol

I am guessing that there are several on this forum that have had both the 3.0/3.5 hybrid and the Full swap 3.5 (or done one and then converted over). Who has done this? I would love to know first hand experiences/impressions. What mods on the hybrid swap before switching to the full swap and the big question; "Was it worth it to you to do over?"

nm....i think i just answered my own question: http://forums.maxima.org/5009034-post55.html

Last edited by sergofast; 04-08-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

1. only having 80% power at WOT and iirc retarded/advanced timing as the computer sees fit.... I read about this; the drive by wire and how there is no way to get around it. I dont see any JWT ECUs for the vq35
Hmmm, 80%? Grossly retarded timing? There are tons of independent types of tuning devices as well as the cookie cutter TS.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM

I remember doing weeks-worth of research before I was satisfied with my effort, but that's just me.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by nismology
I remember doing weeks-worth of research before I was satisfied with my effort, but that's just me.

In this day & age of the org, odds are if you have a question 99.85% of the time, it's already been answered .. ten fold.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

In this day & age of the org, odds are if you have a question 99.85% of the time, it's already been answered .. ten fold.

ok ok i get the point.... ive been mullin around with the search button....and ur right, the more im reading the dumber some of my questions sound. :/ but i have been on here more than a week. fwi the confusion is when your reading old threads and someone post their opinion, or its outdated info...just frustrating.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 PM

Can you use the engine harness or dash harness from an 04 maxima or does it have to be an 02-03? I know the ecu, nats, and gauges have to be from a 02-03....just not sure about the wiring harness.

edit: just read through the FSM and realized the plugs for the ECU are completely different on the engine harness. Does this mean the dash harness will also be incompatible (or by the time I trim it down engn92 style will it not matter)?

Also, does it matter if its an auto or a 6 speed harness engine harness? I know that the dash harness doesnt matter because you will cut out what you dont need but I was not sure about the engine harness.

Last edited by sergofast; 05-09-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

If your loooking for 250 WHP go with a VQ35 swap (VQ35 block/heads VQ30 timing components/VQ35 stock cams), ARP rod bolts (weak point at higher rpms), headers, catback, and some tuning. No need to swap the electronics or wiring to a different ECU. Go with an '04 - '08 VQ35 I hear they have less issues with oil burning than the '02 - '03 engines, though I am not 100% sure.

Though I could probally get 250 WHP from my VQ30DEK setup with some cams, a few more tricks, and a higher rev limit. However it would have less TQ than a VQ35 setup.

I stopped working on power mods for a while, my money is improving the handling of these cars. When I can get around the road course smooth & confident with the gas or brake pedal to the floor I will then add some more power to the car.