All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.0 Timing noise, 3.5 engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 PM

3.0 Timing noise, 3.5 engine.

Sup all, I suddenly have this noise coming from the timing cover, i am not 100% sure if its from inside the timing cover, but im going for worse case scenario.

I will take vid/sound footage tomorrow but it basically sounds like when you put a card on the wheels of a bicycle. Sounds like RPM dependent, mostly when there is load, when in park i give it a quick rev and you can hear it at first but then goes away as rpm jumps up, you hear it more when you put load, such as putting in drive and hold brake and gas. Oil pressure is fine.

Anyone ever come across this noise? My thinking is that the chain(s) are not getting oil and what i hear is dry chain to sprocket sound. Its not really a rattle, its more like the card on bike, even pattern of sound.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 PM

funny this thread is date today.

I am having the SAME exact issue, but i already pulled the motor and removed thhe timing cover. had it all nice and setup to TDC and all the chain marks ligned up perfectly.

when i started turning the motor (i replaced the harmonic balancer and bolt0 I noticed that the timing chain tensioner was not keeping enough pressure on the chain and the right (looking at it from the timing chain would be the left) overhead cam would pull the tension off the chain several times per rotation making a clicking/poping/knocking noise as the tension bar slammed into the timing chain tensioner.

I stopped by the org reallly fast to see of anyone had seen this issue and determin if simply replaging the tensioner would correct the issue, or if somthing more drastic like rebuilding the head was in order.

If this is NOT the same thing you have i would be suprised, but never the less, if someone else here know the answer to MY issue, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:03 PM

also, beaware, lucky for me i have another cover sitting around, but my book did NOT mention ANYTHING about the 2 bolts under the oil pan that needed to be removed prior to removing the timing cover, and i broke the @%@# outta mine.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM

Very interesting, I am praying that this is not my issue, but you know how things are with cars, there are no gods to pray to in the car world so everything is supposed to go wrong lol.

The two bolts I was aware of, iv taken the motor apart more than 4 times lol, but this issue is new to me, I dont remember ever having this same noise.

Now are you referring to the main chain? or the secondaries?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 PM

More info on the type of sound, it sounds almost identical to loud injectors, that clicking. but coming from the timing cover, pulleys area.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 AM

well i posted my whole stopy in my own thread, but havent gotten any decent ideas as to my issue either.

I will keep an eye on your thread as well.

as far the the pullys, mine seems to be the main. :-\
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 AM
Maximoneypit

I have the exact same with mine guys. Ive been told that Nissan re-designed the tensioner assembly and that if you order a new one from a dealership it should alleviate/ fix it. It does sound similar to the injectors firing but I think that only makes it more pronounced.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
SLOW

could be a lot of things. timing, rod knock, etc. get a stethoscope and see if you can pinpoint it more.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
could be a lot of things. timing, rod knock, etc. get a stethoscope and see if you can pinpoint it more.
Its def not anything related to piston or rods, its coming from timing cover or pulley. I know that 100% sure. I do get pistons slap from my loose Wisecos, but this is completely different. Tomorrow im taking off the belt and turning on the car to see if I can still hear the noise, if I do that will def tell me its coming from inside the timing cover.

That should rule out alot of things.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 06-27-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM

So today I start the car to listen for the noise, I can hear it. its sounds like they very very front, possibly even from the alternator (which is 'new'), So I then take off the belt and turn car back on to see if noise went away, and yes it did, I didnt hear it, tried to rev, put in gear and power brake, nothing... I put the belt back on, and now I dont hear it. I dont get it lol. Went for a drive, came back and noise still not there. Odd
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Kevlo for President

Good
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
So today I start the car to listen for the noise, I can hear it. its sounds like they very very front, possibly even from the alternator (which is 'new'), So I then take off the belt and turn car back on to see if noise went away, and yes it did, I didnt hear it, tried to rev, put in gear and power brake, nothing... I put the belt back on, and now I dont hear it. I dont get it lol. Went for a drive, came back and noise still not there. Odd
I know this is gonna sound crazy but check to see if the nut on your idler pulley is tight.... mine was still loose from switching the belts on the swap and once i re-tightened it the noise seems to have dissipated/disappeared. Sounds like when you put the belts back on you already went ahead and did this.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
I know this is gonna sound crazy but check to see if the nut on your idler pulley is tight.... mine was still loose from switching the belts on the swap and once i re-tightened it the noise seems to have dissipated/disappeared. Sounds like when you put the belts back on you already went ahead and did this.
I sure hope thats the case, if there was an oil passage blocked that leads to the sprockets or tensioner(s), i think it would have been consistent at all times, noise was gone, even after full warm up.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Disco Biscuit

I'm going to say theres a good chance that if you have pinpointed it to the cover, its the tensoner.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Whitemax
I'm going to say theres a good chance that if you have pinpointed it to the cover, its the tensoner.
Yeah everyone keeps telling me the same thing, I drove again today, did a couple WOT runs as well, and still dont hear anything. I didnt think it was the tensioner because the pattern of the sound was so perfect, wasnt random at all. Back to racing now
Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Go gettum....
Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine has been making the same noise. I've got the timing cover off and everything looks fine, but as I rotate the engine the tensioner and slack side guide move in and out. That could definately throw some sound into the chain. I'm going to replace the tensioner and also the water pump, since the sound seemed to be coming from the front of the cover near the water pump. I see how the tension side of the chain goes over the water pump and puts a pretty strong lateral load on those bearings. Mine has been losing water slowly. We'll see.