Emanage ultimate DIY harness - Page 2 - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Advanced Performance > All Motor
Reload this Page >

Emanage ultimate DIY harness

All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Emanage ultimate DIY harness

Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 AM

a little update:

Looks like UPS finally got their heads out of their asses and were able to get my wire from the supplier to my house (five days late). So it will be there when I get home today and I'll try to put together a harness in the next couple of days. Someone suggested wiring the resistors to the harness instead of inside the EU, and that seems perfectly feasible so that's my plan.

Concerning harvesting ECU connectors, that is exactly what I am doing on my car. I had a 99 parts car and took the ECU and ECU connector from there. I had to request some samples of contacts from Tyco because the connections are not all the same (99 has electronic EGR valve, no FPCM or EVAP, etc.)

Getting back on topic, I should have a Greddy 15901500 clone with added resistors put together in a couple days. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM

First harness complete

I completed the first harness last night. Here are some pictures:

An overview of the harness:

Business end:

Close up of resistor module:

Every wire has a label:

Label closeup. Connector B, Pin12, Wire 24:

For scale:

I think it turned out alright. I didn't shrink wrap this one because I accidentally bought the wrong size shrink wrap, but I don't care because this one is going on my car. The ones in the future will have some kind of tubing surrounding all wires keeping everything in a nice bundle.

As per above, the harness itself will be 65 USD shipped. The harness plus the resistor module will be 75 USD shipped for those who don't wish to solder resistors in themselves.

Check the group deals section if you want one.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by ajm8127 View Post
I completed the first harness last night. Here are some pictures:

An overview of the harness:

Business end:

Close up of resistor module:

Every wire has a label:

Label closeup. Connector B, Pin12, Wire 24:

For scale:

I think it turned out alright. I didn't shrink wrap this one because I accidentally bought the wrong size shrink wrap, but I don't care because this one is going on my car. The ones in the future will have some kind of tubing surrounding all wires keeping everything in a nice bundle.

As per above, the harness itself will be 65 USD shipped. The harness plus the resistor module will be 75 USD shipped for those who don't wish to solder resistors in themselves.

Check the group deals section if you want one.
I think it looks great, nice work. Personally I would rather solder the resisters in the EMU but to each their own. Is this harness for 97's also? I see you mentioned 99's.

Forgive me for not understanding this fully but which is the harness that plugs into the stock ECU? or is it some kind of adaptor that plugs into the ECU itself. Also which harness will plug into a laptop for tuning purposes from the EMU? Im interested in getting one, this will save me a ton of time.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM

That harness looks sexy.

Maxprivate, the side with the connectors plug into the EMU, the "bare" wires themselves are individually spliced into the Nissan engine harness wiring. The EMU to laptop connection is a USB printer cable (A-B), and the plug for that is on the EMU unit itself.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by MoncefA33 View Post
That harness looks sexy.

Maxprivate, the side with the connectors plug into the EMU, the "bare" wires themselves are individually spliced into the Nissan engine harness wiring. The EMU to laptop connection is a USB printer cable (A-B), and the plug for that is on the EMU unit itself.
Got it, so if we were to provide with a ECU harness he can make up some type of piggy back connector so its plug and play?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate View Post
Got it, so if we were to provide with a ECU harness he can make up some type of piggy back connector so its plug and play?
In order to make a plug and play harness...

You'd need to provide an ECU (for the female connection) and a pigtail of the ECU wiring harness (for the male connection). You solder up the two ends together and splice the EMU harness into it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Black Lion

[QUOTE=MoncefA33;7686562]In order to make a plug and play harness...

You'd need to provide an ECU (for the female connection) and a pigtail of the ECU wiring harness (for the male connection). You solder up the two ends together and splice the EMU harness into it.[/QUO

Now I got it, so all the bare ends wires in the harness he is providing will still need to be tapped into the stock ECU harness accordingly? ie, if its an intecept type or just a tap type connections. Correct?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Now I got it, so all the bare ends wires in the harness he is providing will still need to be tapped into the stock ECU harness accordingly? ie, if its an intecept type or just a tap type connections. Correct?
Yes, exactly. The OP's original intent was to make an identical harness to what Greddy provides you with, but at a much lesser cost.

Most connections are tap connections, some are intercepts.

It could be made though as truly plug and play...that's called a patch harness. Imagine a "T" harness if you will. You unplug your OEM ECU, plug in one end of the "T" harness with the OEM female connectors on it to the OEM harness, plug the other end of the "T" harness with the OEM male connectors to the OEM ECU, and the third leg of the "T" harness with the Greddy connectors to the EMU. There are pluses and negatives to this approach.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Right. And Moncef is correct about making plug and play harnesses. You would need to find a parts car and take both the ECU and the ECU harness from the car. I don't really have plans to make plug and play harnesses right now, but may change my mind in the future. I believe there is already a guy here that makes them, and makes them well. I was hoping to complement his services with my more affordable EU harness.

And the Wizard manages to post while I'm distracted.

Last edited by ajm8127; 08-11-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Black Lion

Thanks for clearing that up guys, Wiz you really cleared it up with the T connection. You mentioned pluses and minuses and you know I have to ask, what do you mean exactly?. I like the patch harness idea, if anything ever goes wrong you can just unplug it all and reconnect your stock ECU harness so the car is at least drivable.

Last edited by maxprivate; 08-12-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ajm8127 View Post
Right. And Moncef is correct about making plug and play harnesses. You would need to find a parts car and take both the ECU and the ECU harness from the car. I don't really have plans to make plug and play harnesses right now, but may change my mind in the future. I believe there is already a guy here that makes them, and makes them well. I was hoping to complement his services with my more affordable EU harness.

And the Wizard manages to post while I'm distracted.
SurraTT was making the UTEC PnP harnesses, have you asked him where he bought the nissan connectors? Hell, he may have some lying around.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Wow, that looks great! I'd buy it if I didn't already have an EU harness..
Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Black Lion

In order to make a plug and play harness...

You'd need to provide an ECU (for the female connection) and a pigtail of the ECU wiring harness (for the male connection). You solder up the two ends together and splice the EMU harness into it.
Moncef, you happen to have any pics of the finished install? Any pics of where you mounted the EMU and what your finished patch harness connected to the ECU looks like?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Moncef, you happen to have any pics of the finished install? Any pics of where you mounted the EMU and what your finished patch harness connected to the ECU looks like?
I have pictures of the harness, by itself, and connected to the EU. Did you have any specific questions about how the PnP harness is setup?

I have to take some more pictures of how it's mounted now. I can have them up later on.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Black Lion

I have pictures of the harness, by itself, and connected to the EU. Did you have any specific questions about how the PnP harness is setup?

I just wanted to see how the patch harness looks all connected. Wizard mentioned something about plus and minuses to having a patch harness, any idea what he meant? All I see is positives if you can easily unplug the EMU and go back to stock.

I have to take some more pictures of how it's mounted now. I can have them up later on.
That would be great. How easy it it to set the parameters with the EMU? Thanks for the pics.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Open the EU program with your key in the ON position, USB connected.
Click the blue car icon on the top menu bar.
Click Vehicle.
Select engine VQ30DET.

Go to VQpower.com and download the DandyMax EU writeup, read that also.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Another pic, I tucked it right here and run the harness underneath the glovebox, and ziptied it up.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Black Lion

Another pic, I tucked it right here and run the harness underneath the glovebox, and ziptied it up.

wow you have it right on the kick panel. Im probably gonna have mine under the seat or under the arm console. Yeah I checked out the Dandy Max write up, I'll read it more in detail when I get the EMU. I have to get my hands on a spare ECU and pig tails to have my harness done. I definitely want it all plug and play.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:27 AM

Are you making these harnesses for EB's too?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but I'm working on my EEU (emanage ultimate for other google searchers) and messed up a pin and I'm missing a harness and didn't want to spend stupid money on one as well.

I registered just because this thread was so useful.

While the links don't work anymore here are the part numbers
Emanage

176118-6 18 wire
176117-6 14 wire
176116-6 12 wire
175027-1 Female terminal

They are all in stock at mouser and pretty damn cheap.

Did you ever find the JAE part number for the option ports? I've been to JAE's website but it's hard to find any actual pictures or renderings of the connector. I'm about ready to pull off the board connectors and add my own.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3-Pin 0.156" 3.96mm Yellow JST VHR-3N-Y

VERY similar but no 3rd opening for the connector. I've contacted JAE to see if they can help.

Last edited by zazzn; 09-05-2017 at 10:01 PM.