All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Few Questions about installing a Fuel Cell

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Turbo 3.5

Few Questions about installing a Fuel Cell

I am looking to remove the stock gas tank and install a fuel cell in my 1997 Maxima. My question is will the stock intake setup with the sender drop right in or would I have to run an external pump.

I would really like to just reuse my walbro 255 and stock sender setup to cut down on noise and cost but don't feel like alot of custom modding either.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:37 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by t6378tp
I am looking to remove the stock gas tank and install a fuel cell in my 1997 Maxima. My question is will the stock intake setup with the sender drop right in or would I have to run an external pump.

I would really like to just reuse my walbro 255 and stock sender setup to cut down on noise and cost but don't feel like alot of custom modding either.
Funny - I've been shopping for fuel cells too, but kinda settled on a Jaz 2-QT Jr. Dragster cell for front mounting. A fuel cell in the rear requires a bulkhead installed if it's in the trunk. If you replace the stock tank, that shouldn't be required but everything big I looked at have the aircraft-style lid. That won't work for the OEM sender assembly, and you would need baffles mounted in the bottom if you did make it work, because of the slosh. Foam might fix the slosh.

The only thing I could see that would work is to mount a fuel cell in place of the OEM tank and use an external pump - and the OEM sender still wouldn't work without lots of hacking. I think you would also need an extension on the filler opening so you could refuel from the side - otherwise it's through the trunk. At some point I may put a cell in the trunk and make a NHRA-legal bulkhead, but that still needs an external pump, I think.

Too much work for me, right now.

Last edited by grey99max; 09-21-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Turbo 3.5

Yeah I was hoping this wasn't the case, not really worried about the sender since I can judge the tank by the trip-o-meter.

Hopfully they make a intake setup that will allow me to use my walbro 255
Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Banned

I am using a Jazz 8 Gal cell. The stock setup drops right in if you cut a hole behind the filler cap. Anything smaller than 8 gal and I don't think it would fit in. I get 200 mi range so it works fine.

I also have a 1 Gal that I previously used up front for my nitrous setup with a separate inline pump.

Currently my nitrous nozzles are being fed from a DevilsOwn pump from the stock windshield washer container.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by Jime
I am using a Jazz 8 Gal cell. The stock setup drops right in if you cut a hole behind the filler cap. Anything smaller than 8 gal and I don't think it would fit in. I get 200 mi range so it works fine.

I also have a 1 Gal that I previously used up front for my nitrous setup with a separate inline pump.

Currently my nitrous nozzles are being fed from a DevilsOwn pump from the stock windshield washer container.
I know your running a full swap but was wondering if you tapped the top of the cell for a return line or you keep your system returnless. Also am I correct that your cell is foamless
Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by t6378tp
I know your running a full swap but was wondering if you tapped the top of the cell for a return line or you keep your system returnless. Also am I correct that your cell is foamless
My stock setup is from a 4th gen so return line is included however the cell does have its own return fitting. I do have my fpr external to the cell but mounted right beside it and it returns through the stock return so it is almost returnless.

I have run with and without foam, currently foamless.