All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Full Swap harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mpvibes
Ok, thanks for the info. I believe once it's all said and done every 4th gen member that is doing the VQ35 Swap should do a Full swap! Full Swap = More Power!!! We can make this work guys! I believe A Full VQ35 Swap Harness with all the wiring done will sell like hot cakes! Or a step by step of the wiring diagram will also benefit us 4th gen owners. Because the tedious part will be pretty much done. Continue doing what ur doing Sergofast!

Also, you mentioned something about a custom timing ring. How much is a custom timing ring for a full vq35 swap, if you are using like myself a 4th gen 5 speed tranny?
Im going to do my best to document everything with actual pictures. The thing is, it really does take some patience and the willingness to learn the wiring harness. I think that the big scare for most people is they think it means re wiring half the car or that they are going to blow something up. Also, not many people have ever had training on how to do something as simple as how to correctly splice into and solder a wire. Ill walk the Org through this with pictures....its needed (ive seen pictures on this forum of people doing wiring jobs and some of them are just darn scary...lol).

If I were to make a harness its still not 100% plug and play. It does still have to be hard wired in different places. People will have to understand this....but if you have access to a FSM and you know what each wire is supposed to go to...its really not that hard! Especially if someone (me) has already pointed out the freaking page number lol (I have nearly all this info on my computer...and when I finish it I will post it). Currently Ive got the FSM page number for 90% of the plugs/wires used on both the 4th and the 5th gen harness. Just to give credit where it is due. Eng92 has documented nearly all of this info...but I just needed to be able to double check it myself with the FSM before I committed to possibly decommissioning my car and cutting up the wiring harness lol. Plus until youve read through both FSMs his chart really is confusing...its like...why the hell does that wire go there?????

Even so....Ive got to put some thought into it and see if its even worth my time to make these harness...Plus im not going to commit to anything until I know my own harness is working. Ill come back to this later after my car is working and I know Ive got all the bugs worked out. The other thing to give thought to is options on the swap. For example, do I want to use my 4th gen steering wheel or do I want to use a 5.5 gen steering wheel? Is it an auto or a manual? If manual is it a 4th gen tranny or 6 speed? Its things like this that makes creating a qoute "Plug N Play" Conversion harness difficult...because these options will still require some ingenuity on the person purchasing the part....Its not like bolting on a Y-pipe. I just dont know if I want to commit to that level of headache lol

Yes I am still using the 4th gen 5 speed tranny (actually Ive got an 01 AE VLSD in my car...but thats basically the same as a 4th gen). The deal with the timing rings is that if I know how many are needed and can have the shop make them in a larger number then I will get a better price on it. I dont want to clutter up this thread but if you are serious about getting one made PM me asap and Ill look into it. I will need the timing ring cut off the 6th gen flywheel (manual flywheel - NOT a auto flex plate...they ARE different!) I really cant imagine it would be to expensive...but even if it was a couple hundred bucks it is still worth it to me.

Last edited by sergofast; 03-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM

FSM Pages added! I dont know what the Yellow Highlight is. If you know speak up! I wasnt able to find it in the FSMs

Side note: The connectors I pulled off a car in the junk yard for the plug and play may have not come off a 97...I didnt pay attention. I found that some of the wires didnt line up with the 97 FSM but they arent used anyway. I still notated the wire on the chart for reference.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Update on the first page of FSM wires!!

Cluster wires

I have not confirmed the wires on the 97 cluster that are titled "NO WIRE" or is highlighted GRAY - Im assuming there is not a wire here because I didnt find this info in the FSM. I have not pulled the cluster from my car yet to physically check and see if there was a wire in this location. If any of these are incorrect, please let me know.

Name:  0-97to03Dash-pdf.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  76.8 KB
Name:  1-97to03Dash-pdf.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  2-97to03Dash-pdf.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  98.1 KB
Name:  3-97to03Dash-pdf.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  46.3 KB

Last edited by sergofast; 03-08-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 AM

wow!!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
wow!!
lol...yeah I know right! lots o info there....literally everything you need.

Honestly after reading through the FSMs you PMed me about rewiring the whole car...I really dont think thats necessary and is a lot more work thans needed. It really isnt as complicated as it looks....infact it kind of reminds me of that matching game you played as a kid where you draw lines to match objects to their word... Ill have my harness done soon and show you.

Last edited by sergofast; 03-08-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by sergofast
lol...yeah I know right! lots o info there....literally everything you need.

Honestly after reading through the FSMs you PMed me about rewiring the whole car...I really dont think thats necessary and is a lot more work thans needed. It really isnt as complicated as it looks....infact it kind of reminds me of that matching game you played as a kid where you draw lines to match objects to their word... Ill have my harness done soon and show you.

and to think, i used to cheat on thoes lol!!! good work man really.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM

and to think, i used to cheat on thoes lol!!! good work man really.
Thanks man. Let me know if you know what the wires in Yellow are linked to...
Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Thanks man. Let me know if you know what the wires in Yellow are linked to...
my colors will be off cause i have a 98, but ill look into it when i get off work tonight.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 PM

my colors will be off cause i have a 98, but ill look into it when i get off work tonight.
Actually, I would be interested to know this. I dont think they will be that far off in regards to M50 and M58....I think it is the gauge cluster that is the big diference (Ive not confirmed any of this...just my un educated guess).

Im mainly looking for the rest of the wires on the 03 harness (m166, F35, F37) and confirmation on the wires listed for the 97 harness. Do you want me to send you the excel file of everything in Post 2? You could make an additional column and indicate if the 98 wires are the same.

Im guessing that even though you have a 98, the FSM page numbers I listed for a 97 will be close to the same pages as the 98....they didnt change a lot between these two years.

Last edited by sergofast; 03-08-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 PM

The other thing you have to keep in mind as you read Eng92s chart, is that he made that in reference to a car that he already had swapped the gauge cluster on. For example ...when you are working with the 03 harness you notice that several wires run from the 03 cluster directly to one of the plug and play connectors (For example the pink/blue VSP goes fromt he cluster to F161). But then when you look at the chart that same wire is wired into one of the 97/98 plugs (M50 or M58). When I first started looking over this it really confused me. But then I realized that he had already wired in the 03 cluster to the existing 98 dash harness and instead of having to redo this wiring he just adapted and ran the wire to one of the 98 plugs he used to make it a plug and play affair. Does that make since?

For example the Pink/Blue wire that goes from the cluster to the ECM for the VSP:
-- On a 97/98 this goes from the cluster to M50 to the ECU.
-- On the 03 harness this wire goes straight from the cluster to F161 Terminal 2 to the ECU.
-- On Eng92s chart/the conversion harness this wire is cut from the original 03 harness (because he installed the cluster prior to doing the swap) and hard wired into the corresponding wire on the 97/98 dash harness (the same wire I referenced that originally goes from the cluster to M50/F105 to the ECU). SO then the Pink/Blue is wired into the M50 plug and then M161 T2 to the ECU. You might have to read that twice...but if you draw it out it makes since.

03 Cluster->existing 97 dash harness Pink/Blue wire to M50 -> M50/F105 connector -> spliced to F161 -> ECU

Last edited by sergofast; 03-08-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM

for me im already wired up for a 2k1 cluster.
ill look ate the chart when i get home tonight
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Dude, honestly, this isn't giving me much of an excuse not to get an 03 engine&dash harness/PCM/NATS to just have and eff around with every now and then.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM

for me im already wired up for a 2k1 cluster.
ill look ate the chart when i get home tonight
Nice thanks....Im not sure, but I think you still need an 02-03 cluster....I dont think the 01 has the correct VSS output to the ECU that the 02-03 does. (Im not positive on this...but its worth looking into)

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
Dude, honestly, this isn't giving me much of an excuse not to get an 03 engine&dash harness/PCM/NATS to just have and eff around with every now and then.
When you do you will really wonder why more people dont do this instead of swapping 3.0 timing....

Last edited by sergofast; 03-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Im a bit caught up on the connections needed for the universal connector. Several of the wires are said to run to the F18 and F17 connections under the hood to power different items. Is he saying to snake these wires through the engine compartment and hardwire them into the fuse box under the hood? I was assuming that all of the connections were to be made under the hood but cant quite figure out what he means to do with connections like:

M161/F68-12 R/Y - Power for o2 sensor to E13/F36-6
M81/F49-2 G/B - From ECM to AC auto amp (COMP22) to E13/F36-8
M58/F102 G - Power for backup lamp to F17/E8-6

Could someone shed some light on this for me? Obviously these wires need power...and I can see how they provide the power by reading the FSM's but Ive re-read Eng92's threads several times and cant figure out how he got these wires to the locations he indicates.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM

its still greek to me
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM

its still greek to me
Start with the 98 harness connectors. Learn what these wires do. Then look at the 5 plugs on the 03 harness...you will see that they start matching up.

Ive found more of the missing wires but havent updated the thread yet.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 AM

Update:

I have located all of the wires in Yellow on the first page with the exception of the following. I know there are people on this forum that have done this in the past....I could use a little help here. Please! As you can see I have located and Identified EVERY wire but two on the 02/03 Harness. Im doing my homework here...I know its standard for someone to say actually look at the FSM before posting questions on a FULL swap, but Im obviously doing that. Thanks in advance!

02-03 harness:
M166F69 - T2 - Red
F17 (end of engine harness connector) - T2

97 Harness:
F36 - T1
F37 - T1
F37 - T4
F37 - T7
F37 - T8
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 PM

I am interested in a working harness!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazie
I am interested in a working harness!
PM sent.

On a side note, I got some seriously good help from Aaron at NWP....I just wanted to give a shout out for his company and products!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Update:

The harness is complete with the exception of the power wires (Im still working this one out. Here are some detailed pics:

This is the harness that I will hard wire into the 97. It is color coded to the wire colors on my 97 so and every wire is labeled. Once I have tapped into all these wires the rest of it is plug and play So when I swap in my engine, there is nothing else to do but change the engine harness and plug in my adaptor harness.
Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  108.8 KB

The connector plug for the hard wired plug I just described. You can see part of the 03 M28 Data link connector on this as well:
Name:  IMG_0519.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  114.0 KB

03 M28 Data Link connector:
Name:  IMG_0518.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  71.2 KB

The M58 plug that connects to the 97 harness. The random wire on the bottom is the M142 NATS wires:
Name:  IMG_0524.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  108.5 KB

the F105 97 plug that connects to the 97 harness. You can also see the plug that goes to the gas pedal along with several of the 03 plugs that go directly to the 03 engine harness:
Name:  IMG_0523.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  137.7 KB

A close up of the four 03 plugs that go to the 03 engine harness. Currently they are plugged into the 03 Engine harness (I did this for my own benefit...it helped me keep everything straight in my head lol) The wires that are all bent backwards are the ones that are not used. They are for an Auto. I am probably going to use a few of these wires for the power to the fuse box under the hood along with the VSS wires for gauge cluster. You can see them all taped and bundled together. The one random red wire that is bent backwards is the one wire I cant trace down in the FSM. It is M166/F69 terminal 2. If anyone can help with this wire it would be VERY helpful!: The four Red and Blue wires that are wrapped together on the other plug are the CAN wires and are not used.
Name:  IMG_0522.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  82.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0521.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  126.5 KB

The M142 NATS plug on the top left. my hardwired harness into the 97 is on the very bottom:
Name:  IMG_0520.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  122.0 KB

Last edited by sergofast; 03-21-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Nice man.

When do you think you'll do the swap?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 95naSTA
Nice man.

When do you think you'll do the swap?
Soon. I'm going to wire in the 03 gauge cluster and the hard wire portion of the harness at the same time. Ill probably swap in the 03 ignition switch too. I know its not necessary but my 97 switch is wearing out. Then all I have to do is swap the engine and the engine harness. All that's left after that is plugging in my trimmed down 03 dash harness and swapping out the pedals.

I haven't decided on a clutch yet. Currently I have a 5th gen clutch but I can make that slip with my vq30. Any suggestions on a clutch/presure plate combo? I'm running the 5th gen trams w vlsd and a fidanza flywheel. I don't race often and get caught in stop and go traffic from time to time (DC traffic arg) so I'm hesitant to go all out with ACT or some heavy pressure plate. But I know I've got to upgrade from what I have now to handle the vq35.

Last edited by sergofast; 03-21-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM

Nice looks just like my harness. I took pics of mine a while ago but cant seem to find them. I just sold my 02 motor last week and will be picking up an 09 real soon.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Nice looks just like my harness. I took pics of mine a while ago but cant seem to find them. I just sold my 02 motor last week and will be picking up an 09 real soon.
Wait a second....you did a full swap? How did I not know this?? lol

What year maxima did you put your engine in? Ever since SurraTT did his 09 swap Ive really considered selling my VQ35 and getting an 09....if it wasnt for the cost of the Haltech I would probably do it
Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

any updates?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Updates???
Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM

The one random red wire that is bent backwards is the one wire I cant trace down in the FSM. It is M166/F69 terminal 2. If anyone can help with this wire it would be VERY helpful!:
Hope This helps:
The red wire goes from M33 connector (pin 15) via M15-E81 connectors,to ABS pin 1. 2003 Maxima FSM Illustration EL133 in the right top corner.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Update:

I have located all of the wires in Yellow on the first page with the exception of the following. I know there are people on this forum that have done this in the past....I could use a little help here. Please! As you can see I have located and Identified EVERY wire but two on the 02/03 Harness. Im doing my homework here...I know its standard for someone to say actually look at the FSM before posting questions on a FULL swap, but Im obviously doing that. Thanks in advance!

02-03 harness:
M166F69 - T2 - Red
F17 (end of engine harness connector) - T2

97 Harness:
F36 - T1
F37 - T1
F37 - T4
F37 - T7
F37 - T8
Here is some more info for you:
2003 F17 T2 does not go anywhere. You dont need to worry about that one (I didnt )

As far as the 97 Harness. I have a 1998 and the info below is for 98. I hope that 97 and 98 are pretty much the same.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 AM

what if u have a 99 se-l is the wiring different cause i was lookin in to doing this swap
Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Turbo 3.5

so are you selling these
Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 AM

Im not selling them. I actually put the project on hold....but am picking it back up now. The plan is to have all the wiring in the car within the end of next month. I will be reporting back here with picture updates.

Sorry for falling off a cliff and not keeping up on this.... :/
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM

Hurrah! Back from the dead! Glad to see we are gonna get some updates!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Any updates???? I am thinking about taking this on for my 01. I know, "just buy a 5.5" but I can't let go of my car. I hear the process is pretty much the same as a 4th gen.

Also, did anyone figure out if the 00-01 guage cluster will work with the 3.5 swap?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM

I just dont have time to finish this project. Sorry gents.

Im selling all the parts/car or the car/parts as a complete package... http://forums.maxima.org/maximas-sal...ml#post8897150
Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Does anyone want to purchase these parts? Ill sell the whole setup for $350 which include the engine harness, my modified harness pictured here, the DBW pedal, 02 gauge cluster for a manual trans, ECU and Key assembly (from the same car), second ECU bracket to adapt to your 4th gen bracket and all my notes/printed documents.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Bump just in case anyone here wants these parts.