All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Full Swap harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exclamation Full Swap harness PIN OUT!

Dont flame me and for those that know this knowledge please help out.

Ive got everything to complete a full swap 3.5 into a 4th gen and am working on the harness. Im going to document the process with pictures and excel files to aide in any future orgers working on this same swap.

Also on the left side of the chart there is a list of combination meter wires (to the gauges). am I to simply tap these wires into the 98 harness connectors? - NM answered my own question...that would be Yes Duh

I apologize in advance if these are dumb questions but I am really trying to do this and of course have to figure most of it out myself....and to boot im not an electrical genius.

Last edited by sergofast; 02-28-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM

A work in progress....I know some of this is redunant if you have looked over Eng92s chart, but having it in chronological order along with a PIN out is helpful...I will be updating this as I figure more of the wiring out (I have figured alot more than is writen here....but this took forever and Im tired of working on it tonight lol).

UPDATE: 3/17/12 - FSM pages added!!! Here is the spoon feeding!!

--------------------------------------------
5.5 Gen plug/harness on the top
97 plugs/harness on the bottom

Specifics on my swap: 97 Maxima SE - 01 AE VLSD trans (M/T) - 04 engine - 03 EC harness (M/T) - 03 dash harness (M/T) - 03 ECU with matching Key and NATS - 03 gauge cluster (M/T) - custom timing ring per Eng92 specs

GREEN highlight = dont have to do anything with the wires...they are connected directly to some other 5.5 gen plug (one of the 5 plug and play 5.5 gen plugs used in the conversion harness).

BLUE highlight = runs from 5.5 gen harness plug to one of the 97 harness connectors

Orange Highlight = These wires run to the universal 16 pin connector.

RED Highlight = These are NOT used in a swap (some may be used if you are going to use a 5.5 gen trans)

Yellow Highlight = These wires I have not been able to track down in a FSM - If you know what they do speak UP!

Last edited by sergofast; 03-07-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: FSM Pages added!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Glad you are going forward on this, should be a nice contribution to the org.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ampire
Glad you are going forward on this, should be a nice contribution to the org.
Thanks...Im trying to document it more. Thing is everyone that has done it is right...it really is just a matter of going through the FSM and figuring out what matches what. This is both frustrating and very very time consuming. Im hoping to be able to consolidate the majority of the electrical part of the swap into one thread with as many details and pictures as possible. My info wont match everyones application perfectly but it will be a really good base (when I say "my" I mean my specific car/tranny setup, not enj92s chart or other info posted).

I have not confirmed the wires on the 97 cluster that are titled "NO WIRE" or is highlighted GRAY - Im assuming there is not a wire here because I didnt find this info in the FSM. I have not pulled the cluster from my car yet to physically check and see if there was a wire in this location. If any of these are incorrect, please let me know.

Props to SurraTT:

Last edited by sergofast; 03-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM

answered my own question about the 03 gauges...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ster-98-a.html
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Have you gone through the dash harness and removed everthing you dont need yet?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM

As you can see the majority of the wire taps are in the 16 pin connector and then converting the gauge part of the harness from the 98 to 03. Once you start on this it starts making more and more since and really isnt as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. Although....it is overwhelming and Ive had to put it down and come back a couple of times.

Lol.....the floor of my room looks like Im wiring up a nuclear bomb

There are a couple of wires highlighted in Yellow that I havent been able to figure out where they go or even if I need to mess with them. For any of you that have done this swap could you please give me a couple of pointers? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sergofast; 03-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Have you gone through the dash harness and removed everthing you dont need yet?
Yup, I have stripped out all of the connecters listed (M159, M161, M162, M166, M81, M42, and M28) along with the connectors for the dash (M32, M33, and M34). What is left is exactly what Eng92s picture looked like with the exception of my 3 gauge cluster connecters because he wired in his cluster before the rest of the 03 harness. I figured if the wire ran directly from one of the connecters to the cluster I would leave it alone and Ill install my gauge cluster at the same time I put this plug and play harness in.

Ive also wired in the 2 plugs I yanked off a 99 maxima harness in the junk yard (F102 and F105). Im going to do a PIN out of these two plugs as well. There are a bunch of extra wires left over that are not being used in these two 98 plugs....Im wondering what they go to and if its necessary to wire any of them up. I dont know yet, I havent looked into this.

Last edited by sergofast; 02-21-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by sergofast
Once you start on this it starts making more and more since and really isnt as difficult as everyone makes it out to be.
EXACTLLLYYY.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
EXACTLLLYYY.
lol....do you have any idea what a couple of the wires are in Orange? Im afraid I might have accidentally clipped a wire or two without labeling it first that went to the gauge cluster before I come to the realization I needed those plugs.....arg dumb mistake (I Had to solder them all back on).
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Kevlo for President

I think Jime has a thread with an excel file of all the pin out conversions already, you should search for it
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I think Jime has a thread with an excel file of all the pin out conversions already, you should search for it
man.....im gonna be pissed! lol thanks for the heads up, searching now
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...ardware-7.html

should be in here
Old 02-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Am I missing something? this is a diagram on how to make the cruise control work but does not have any pin outs of the the other plugs involved.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...ever-need.html

Whoops lol, scroll down to post 9 and start.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...ever-need.html

Whoops lol, scroll down to post 9 and start.
lol...its all good. Yeah I have that printed out and got a good portion of my info from it. What I am attempting to do is alleviate the questions of the extra wires that are not referenced in Eng92s chart. For example plug 166 has only a couple of wires referenced but has close to 18 wires coming out of it. The general thought when you start going through Eng92s chart and the wiring harness is what the heck are all the extra wires and why aren't they mentioned. As you start tracing them you find out that most of wires go to the gauge cluster and the rest are referenced in the chart thats been on the forum for awhile.

Does that make since? At least for me when I first started this swap that was my big concern....they put these wires here for a reason...what is it and is it necessary in my application. By identifying the rest of the wires I hope to be able to help any future swappers and cut down on the retard questions (to those of us that have done this...and like the questions I started asking )

As you can see I haven't updated the chart with the "purpose" section yet. I will be updating it and re posting it.

Last edited by sergofast; 02-23-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Whats the current status? (also get back to me about the damn stand, its sitting in the tiny trunk of my car now)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Here are the contacts in Orange:

M166
3 Red/Yellow From TCM to Fuse Box AT102
4 Yellow/Red From TCM to Fuse Box AT102
15 Green/Yellow From TCM to O.D switch AT223
17 Red/Green From TCM to M15 (Stop lamp switch) AT223

M162
12 Red CAN Lines EL435
13 Blue CAN Lines EL435
15 Red CAN Lines EL435
16 Blue CAN Lines EL435

Last column is a page in the 2003 Maxima FSM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM

lol...its all good. Yeah I have that printed out and got a good portion of my info from it. What I am attempting to do is alleviate the questions of the extra wires that are not referenced in Eng92s chart. For example plug 166 has only a couple of wires referenced but has close to 18 wires coming out of it. The general thought when you start going through Eng92s chart and the wiring harness is what the heck are all the extra wires and why aren't they mentioned. As you start tracing them you find out that most of wires go to the gauge cluster and the rest are referenced in the chart thats been on the forum for awhile.

Does that make since? At least for me when I first started this swap that was my big concern....they put these wires here for a reason...what is it and is it necessary in my application. By identifying the rest of the wires I hope to be able to help any future swappers and cut down on the retard questions (to those of us that have done this...and like the questions I started asking )

As you can see I haven't updated the chart with the "purpose" section yet. I will be updating it and re posting it.
Eng92s Chart was for a manual. All the extra wires your seeing is for an auto.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Ever get it working?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Ever get it working?
Sorry, fell off the planet with wedding planning :/ Im getting back on it.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:29 PM

I assume you are a dude. As such your job with wedding planning is figure out how much money to spend then double that number and learn to say "yes dear", a lot.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by dsycks
I assume you are a dude. As such your job with wedding planning is figure out how much money to spend then double that number and learn to say "yes dear", a lot.

Good luck.
LMAO!! Yes sir....that would be correct along with "honeydo list".....

lol seriously she moved from a couple states away so that was quite a bit of moving.....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 PM

I know this is a bit late. But thank you Mike. This is good news. Because my car is a manual I wont need any of the TCM wires (this explains why Eng92 doesnt have this listed on his chart). While Im on the topic of M166 - there are multiple wires that go to the dash harness for the Auto tranny gear indicator. Is it safe to terminate these wires because my car is a manual?

Ive got to research the CAN wires more. I dont know where they should go to from M162 (or if they are needed).

Originally Posted by MikeDnepr98
Here are the contacts in Orange:

M166
3 Red/Yellow From TCM to Fuse Box AT102
4 Yellow/Red From TCM to Fuse Box AT102
15 Green/Yellow From TCM to O.D switch AT223
17 Red/Green From TCM to M15 (Stop lamp switch) AT223

M162
12 Red CAN Lines EL435
13 Blue CAN Lines EL435
15 Red CAN Lines EL435
16 Blue CAN Lines EL435

Last column is a page in the 2003 Maxima FSM.
I know this is a bit late. But thank you for this.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Oh yeah. If anyone wants this excel file - I have all this in a nice file I can send just PM me and Ill send it to you.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismology
eng92 what are you doing for the VSS? I know the 2000 and up using the ABS signal as the speed signal.
I wired it the same way as an 01 would be without traction control. They use a tranny-based speed sensor just like the 4th gen.
Quote:
Reply posted by Eng92
One wire to the cluster and the other one is connected to the sensor ground on the ecu.
Does anyone know what PIN is the "sensor ground" on the 03 ECU that I should wire the VSS ground - Terminal 2?

From what I read here: http://forums.maxima.org/7467230-post5.html

It looks like the VSS terminal 1 should go to Terminal 15 on the 03 dash/gauge cluster (to wire the 03 like it was an 01 according to Eng92's post above). But my confusion is with Eng92's chart. He says to run both wires from the VSS to the 03 gauge cluster. Where does the ground wire go to?

Also keep in mind he wrote that chart for a 98 and I have a 97 AND he did all the full swap wiring after he had done the gauges so he may have run some wires that are not listed on his chart because he did them when he swapped the clusters.

My stock gauge cluster is slightly different and wired completely different from a 98 so Im having to figure this part out.

Last edited by sergofast; 02-28-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM

Still not wired up yet? damn
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM

To be totally honest....I completely put the project on hold for about 6 months (I didnt even log onto the Org during that time). Im hitting it hard though and am determined to figure it out....kinda like my own personal "electronic Rubix Cube"

My motivation...I think my stock VQ30 is on its last leg...It has put up a stron 219k fight! Ive gotta figure the wiring out before it dies lol

Oh and I know someone else on this forum is doing this swap right now...I contacted a 5.5 gen guy who was parting out a car and every part I asked about had been purchased by same Org member. Whoever you are contact me so we can work together on this! It would be a lot faster to split up the work and figure out what wires to what. - I know someone is going to say Eng92 already figured that out...and he did, for the most part. Problem is there are a couple of missing pieces (that tend to just come together when you start working through the FSM). Im going to document everything and put it all here. In one place....seriously this swap shouldnt be that hard and more 4th gen people should be doing this!

And if you have done this swap...I know it gets fuzzy after you havent looked at the wiring for a bit, but I would really appreciate any help or even being willing to answer a question here and there. I am putting in the work myself and grunting out the FSM searching myself but I still get hung up on an issue here and there. Geeze..I spent 8 hours buried in the FSM yesterday evening!!! lol

Last edited by sergofast; 02-28-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: request from other full swap 3.5 guys!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM

Oh yeah...about the stand. Dude...sorry I dropped the ball there. My bad :/ Ive actually gotta find a place to do this swap at (no garage here in DC). Ive got some ideas though
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Here is a link to the file via google docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nRFeUpqdjBIekE

Right now anyone can edit this! So please be sure your changes are correct and put a reference to where you found the info in the FSM next to the change. Once it is complete I will clean it up and remove the ability to edit it but still keep access to the forum.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Oh yeah...about the stand. Dude...sorry I dropped the ball there. My bad :/ Ive actually gotta find a place to do this swap at (no garage here in DC). Ive got some ideas though
Don't sweat it bro, sold that thing a long time ago . Sadly my Max was declared totalled and don't have it anymore either.

Wish I could help you on the location to do the swap. Maybe you need to find a redneck friend with a farm/barn or something in NOVA lol.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 AM

thats gonna be me
To be totally honest....I completely put the project on hold for about 6 months (I didnt even log onto the Org during that time). Im hitting it hard though and am determined to figure it out....kinda like my own personal "electronic Rubix Cube"

My motivation...I think my stock VQ30 is on its last leg...It has put up a stron 219k fight! Ive gotta figure the wiring out before it dies lol

Oh and I know someone else on this forum is doing this swap right now...I contacted a 5.5 gen guy who was parting out a car and every part I asked about had been purchased by same Org member. Whoever you are contact me so we can work together on this! It would be a lot faster to split up the work and figure out what wires to what. - I know someone is going to say Eng92 already figured that out...and he did, for the most part. Problem is there are a couple of missing pieces (that tend to just come together when you start working through the FSM). Im going to document everything and put it all here. In one place....seriously this swap shouldnt be that hard and more 4th gen people should be doing this!

And if you have done this swap...I know it gets fuzzy after you havent looked at the wiring for a bit, but I would really appreciate any help or even being willing to answer a question here and there. I am putting in the work myself and grunting out the FSM searching myself but I still get hung up on an issue here and there. Geeze..I spent 8 hours buried in the FSM yesterday evening!!! lol
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Process update:

FIrst off....some of the info in the above spreadsheet with individual wires is incorrect. I found some inconsistencies and mistakes (that I put in). I will be correcting this shortly.

Secondly...Pics of the process

My living room floor (btw...the wifie loves this....)

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  101.4 KB

Harness connections from the Engine harness to the adaptor harness:

Name:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  123.6 KB

Plug N Play connections that plug into the 97 harness:

Name:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  109.5 KB

the leftover wires (about 10-15 pound of extra unused wires):

Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  96.0 KB
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM

Process update:

FIrst off....some of the info in the above spreadsheet with individual wires is incorrect. I found some inconsistencies and mistakes (that I put in). I will be correcting this shortly.

Secondly...Pics of the process

My living room floor (btw...the wifie loves this....)

Harness connections from the Engine harness to the adaptor harness:

Plug N Play connections that plug into the 97 harness:

the leftover wires (about 10-15 pound of extra unused wires):

Your doing a great job for The Maxima Community for real! I can't wait til u get everything hooked up and ready to go. I'm gonna need all your notes and info for this Full Swap because I think I will attempt this instead of going with a hybrid swap! How much is it for a Full Swap any way and how long does this usually take?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by mpvibes
Your doing a great job for The Maxima Community for real! I can't wait til u get everything hooked up and ready to go. I'm gonna need all your notes and info for this Full Swap because I think I will attempt this instead of going with a hybrid swap! How much is it for a Full Swap any way and how long does this usually take?
Thanks for that. I appreciate it. The cost can actually be fairly minimal depending on where you get your parts. Its much easier to find an 02-03 maxima in the junkyard these days (they are nearly 10 years old now). Really if you can pull all the swap parts there I could imagine getting all the parts for 250-300 bucks on the high end.

As far as time...the longest part is learning what each wire goes to!! I literally spent 12 hours yesterday researching the FSM! My wife was like, "seriously....are you done? I want some attention!" lol. The good news is I have documented each page of the FSM wiring diagrams for every wire listed on Eng92's chart (this is the plan...I currently have almost every 5.5 Gen wire accounted for). This is something that hasnt been posted before....its really the part that everyone wants. The spoon feeding part... I cant say Im any different because its a huge pain in the @ss!

Heres the thing about the swap, once I figure this wiring out. I can literally go in the car, swap the gauges and pre wire the universal 16 pin connector. When I actually do the swap everything is already wired in. All I have to do swap out the 03 Engine harness for the current 97 and plug in my adaptor harness Ive made for the conversion. Its really really simple. Just tedious as hell and youve got to be sure all the wires go to the right places.

Do you think there would be a market for a converted 03 patch harness? It would be pretty simple to copy my harness if I had another laying right next to it. The idea came up last night.

You need the following from an 02-03:
Engine harness - harness "F" in the FSM
dash harness - Harness "M" in the FSM
02-03 ECU (if you are a manual find a non-auto ECU if you dont want a CEL)
NATS (key assembly - try to get this from the same car as your ECU so you dont have to re program it at the dealership)
02-03 Drive by wire pedal (you might be able to use an 00-01 but im not positive on this)
02-03 MAF (I still need one of these)
If you are using your 4th gen tranny you need a custom timing ring. Mine is at the machine shop now...if you plan on doing this let me know ASAP and ill see about getting a second one made and what the cost would be.

From your 4th gen:
You need connector M58/F102, M50/F105 from the dash harness
F36/E13, F37/E14 from the engine room harness

Last edited by sergofast; 03-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Banned

nice work thats awesome
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
nice work thats awesome
Thanks...Im aiming for my first Sticky.....lol It would be nice to contribute something of value after 5 years
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM

did you get my pm?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Awesome work.

Do you think there would be a market for a converted 03 patch harness? It would be pretty simple to copy my harness if I had another laying right next to it. The idea came up last night.
I would have to say yes.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Thanks for that. I appreciate it. The cost can actually be fairly minimal depending on where you get your parts. Its much easier to find an 02-03 maxima in the junkyard these days (they are nearly 10 years old now). Really if you can pull all the swap parts there I could imagine getting all the parts for 250-300 bucks on the high end.

As far as time...the longest part is learning what each wire goes to!! I literally spent 12 hours yesterday researching the FSM! My wife was like, "seriously....are you done? I want some attention!" lol. The good news is I have documented each page of the FSM wiring diagrams for every wire listed on Eng92's chart (this is the plan...I currently have almost every 5.5 Gen wire accounted for). This is something that hasnt been posted before....its really the part that everyone wants. The spoon feeding part... I cant say Im any different because its a huge pain in the @ss!

Heres the thing about the swap, once I figure this wiring out. I can literally go in the car, swap the gauges and pre wire the universal 16 pin connector. When I actually do the swap everything is already wired in. All I have to do swap out the 03 Engine harness for the current 97 and plug in my adaptor harness Ive made for the conversion. Its really really simple. Just tedious as hell and youve got to be sure all the wires go to the right places.

You need the following from an 02-03:
Engine harness - harness "F" in the FSM
dash harness - Harness "M" in the FSM
02-03 ECU (if you are a manual find a non-auto ECU if you dont want a CEL)
NATS (key assembly - try to get this from the same car as your ECU so you dont have to re program it at the dealership)
02-03 Drive by wire pedal (you might be able to use an 00-01 but im not positive on this)
02-03 MAF (I still need one of these)
If you are using your 4th gen tranny you need a custom timing ring. Mine is at the machine shop now...if you plan on doing this let me know ASAP and ill see about getting a second one made and what the cost would be.

From your 4th gen:
You need connector M58/F102, M50/F105 from the dash harness
F36/E13, F37/E14 from the engine room harness
Ok, thanks for the info. I believe once it's all said and done every 4th gen member that is doing the VQ35 Swap should do a Full swap! Full Swap = More Power!!! We can make this work guys! I believe A Full VQ35 Swap Harness with all the wiring done will sell like hot cakes! Or a step by step of the wiring diagram will also benefit us 4th gen owners. Because the tedious part will be pretty much done. Continue doing what ur doing Sergofast!

Also, you mentioned something about a custom timing ring. How much is a custom timing ring for a full vq35 swap, if you are using like myself a 4th gen 5 speed tranny?

Quick Reply: Full Swap harness