All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

OEM airbox volume difference from '95-13?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OEM airbox volume difference from '95-13?

I didn't forsee much if any help in the General section but feel free to move this if this thread isn't worthy lol...

When browsing the AEM and K&N sites, they list the same panel filter part number for every Maxima from '82 to 2013- I realize there have been gains with 3-4" intake setups but I still don't understand how Nissan could be using the same size panel air filter with power output having doubled since the Maxima's introduction.

Now the reason I'm asking is because I no longer have a Maxima (and never bothered to measure the airbox) but plan to go FI on my little project '93 Altima before I replace it and I've always preferred the OEM airbox setups for stealth and heat protection. My current airbox is a modified OEM airbox with a small 4.5" K&N cone filter bolted inside the airbox giving it better than stock airflow and great heat insulation.

However I'd like to try out a larger OEM style airbox with an even larger cone filter with greater surface area inside (ie Comptech Icebox,etc) and wouldn't mind trying out a Maxima airbox if it has more volume inside. What's crazy is that the 2.4L Altima has the same filter part number as well, that's what has me wondering.

It's hard to believe the airboxes being the same across the various Max generations, at least volume wise, but does anyone have any knowledge of the OEM airbox setups, between the 4th and 7th gens?

If not, assuming this thread doesn't get whacked lol, could someone measure a stock airbox of any gen, preferably 4th-7th gen? Getting the L x W x H or would be awesome.

I know it would be easier to just run a SRI, but I've always been hardheaded, thanks guys!

Last edited by niceguy; 06-01-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by niceguy
I didn't forsee much if any help in the General section but feel free to move this if this thread isn't worthy lol...

When browsing the AEM and K&N sites, they list the same panel filter part number for every Maxima from '82 to 2013- I realize there have been gains with 3-4" intake setups but I still don't understand how Nissan could be using the same size panel air filter with power output having doubled since the Maxima's introduction.

Now the reason I'm asking is because I no longer have a Maxima (and never bothered to measure the airbox) but plan to go FI on my little project '93 Altima before I replace it and I've always preferred the OEM airbox setups for stealth and heat protection. My current airbox is a modified OEM airbox with a small 4.5" K&N cone filter bolted inside the airbox giving it better than stock airflow and great heat insulation.

However I'd like to try out a larger OEM style airbox with an even larger cone filter with greater surface area inside (ie Comptech Icebox,etc) and wouldn't mind trying out a Maxima airbox if it has more volume inside. What's crazy is that the 2.4L Altima has the same filter part number as well, that's what has me wondering.

It's hard to believe the airboxes being the same across the various Max generations, at least volume wise, but does anyone have any knowledge of the OEM airbox setups, between the 4th and 7th gens?

If not, assuming this thread doesn't get whacked lol, could someone measure a stock airbox of any gen, preferably 4th-7th gen? Getting the L x W x H or would be awesome.

I know it would be easier to just run a SRI, but I've always been hardheaded, thanks guys!
Airboxes are different, filters are the same. Stock airbox is not a bad design in the 5th gen. Seen to handle near 250 whp on a DJ. I would only imagine it improves as the years went by.

It's easy to see the improvements to the filter placement also over the years and why it's improved.

The 4th gen had a strange facing down, not really in a good position filter. 5th gen modified it to right in front of the MAF, flipped it 90º.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey thanks for the input...I spent a few days studying models, airflow/pressure, etc...I would've loved to be an engineer lol.

So it isn't only about surface area when it comes to airflow but at least from an OEM standpoint you have pressure, velocity,etc. This won't really matter when it comes to FI but still interesting nonetheless.

Thanks again buddy