All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Vern's random questions about odd stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 03:46 PM

Vern's random questions about odd stuff

so been doing some research on intakes, and was wondering if anyone has messed with a 2001-2004 pathfinder intake for a VQ35
Old 11-25-2015, 12:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's a superior design vs the FWD VQ35 in that it literally has a true dual intake path cpncept, even better than the 00VI (which is just essentially an inverted MEVI, contrary to what people have poked around throughout the years). A few people have contemplated it, IIRC Kevlo was the one who probably did the most research, but in this day and age, I'm sure we/someone can come up with something to fit the FWD configuration.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 11-25-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:10 PM

I have been looking at it for my project car to get rid of fire wall issues with the 350z style that I have, but the thing that worries me the most is the oval ports vs the round on the 350z. The gap between 2 and 3 makes me think using the lower I have wouldn't work with out making a adapter plate (not a super big deal) and the pathfinder lower has oval ports with the swirl valves (think thats what they are) and don't know if there is enough meat to port it to my heads. Was playing around with the one I have and I might be able just to flip it around but do like the idea of duel runner....... but when do I say enough is enough and just go with what I have........ anyways upullit has a 2001 might go check it out monday if I feel rich and just write off all the time I spent polishing the 350z one and maybe someone will give me a little extra money for it and start over with the pathfinder it's not like i'm going to be putting the top on my engine anytime really soon.....
Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM

well upullit was a bust out of the two that could have been there one was gone and the other the whole engine was gone
Old 12-29-2015, 11:11 AM

does anyone know what the orientation of the rods for a VQ30 are, they are numbered but I don't know which side goes to the front of the engine. I'm to the point that I am going to start building my engine but don't have a reference for the rods
Old 01-11-2016, 12:50 AM

so ran into another issue, pulled my heads apart to do some polishing and found that my valve seats are pitted, so now I have to have them ground....... so when I go to work out valve lash what would be the best way to figure out what buckets I need, since more then likely they will be tight would it be possible to use a bore gauge or is there another way to measure from the top of the valve to the cam to find out what buckets I will need????
Old 03-10-2016, 06:23 PM

So I'm going to be making some oval to round port adapters, hoping they will be able to go the other way also so that you could use a round port LIM on oval port heads, if I get these to work out is there anyone that would be interested? It should make it so that you could run a pathfinder intake on a VQ35 heads (doing that for my project), with fuel rail modification or switch to a return style set up, or a 350z intake on a VQ30...... nothing is set in stone yet but going to start the ball rolling for what I want...... but if anyone else is interested let me know and I will work out what they will cost.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:30 AM
I like Maximas

what is the goal of this project?

just wondering what you're trying to get done..

I had the 01 engine with bad HG long time ago and only used the cams and the TB in my build with a port matched upper/lower 00vi. the 01PF manifold was a bust. TB pointed toward front of the car and wouldn't clear anything as it sat too high, and looked awkward.

if you do intent to use the manifold, make sure you locktite/jbweld/weld those butterfly screws, if they back out they're going inside the engine.

good luck
Old 03-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by vipervadim
what is the goal of this project?

just wondering what you're trying to get done..

I had the 01 engine with bad HG long time ago and only used the cams and the TB in my build with a port matched upper/lower 00vi. the 01PF manifold was a bust. TB pointed toward front of the car and wouldn't clear anything as it sat too high, and looked awkward.

if you do intent to use the manifold, make sure you locktite/jbweld/weld those butterfly screws, if they back out they're going inside the engine.

good luck
It's for my 200sx https://maxima.org/forums/other-cars...irlfriend.html build which I'm using a VQ35 block, more then likely a 30 crank, I want to use the PF intake since it will help with low end since I'm geared high and the 350z intake will work but would have to run it backwards which I would have to modify to avoid a bunch of U bends in the intake where the PF will come off the side which I should be able to pick which side if it will clear the PF coolant mod..... there isn't enough material on the 350 heads to match the ports of the oval PF ports so going to make a spacer for the taper, and even at a 1/4 in I think it will still sit lower then the 350z intake (not that matters for my build since i'm way past the point of what fits under the hood).

When you tried using the PF intake did you try putting it on so the TB faced the firewall the LIM should bolt up when spun 180deg?

and yes I will be using locktite on the screws........