Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stereo Installation...Few Last Minute Questions (Particularly for the Pros)>>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002 | 06:22 PM

Stereo Installation...Few Last Minute Questions (Particularly for the Pros)>>>

Hey everyone,

I finally talked to my friend who is going to be installing my stereo for me. He said he could probably take care of it for me next weekend. I have everything that I need to do the job, except the wiring. Here's what I'm going to be running:

Alpine CDA-7893 Headunit
JL Audio XR650-CSi Components (Front)
JL Audio XR650-CX Coaxials (Rear)
JL Audio 300/4 Amplifier (For Speakers)
2 12" JL Audio W3 Subwoofers
JL Audio 500/1 Amplifier (For Subwoofers)

This is the wiring he told me I need to get (followed by the prices that he told me I should expect to pay:

16' 4-channel RCA ($80-$120)
16' 2-channel RCA ($40-$80)
65' Speaker wire (He said this is about $0.20/ft.)
2 4ga Power Kits (~$60/e.)
2 Monster Competition Battery Terminals ($34/e.)

I trust that what he told me to get is right because he's been installing stereos for some time now. In fact, he used to have a '99 Maxima with a stereo in it, so he knows what he's doing. I just want to make sure that the prices are accurate. Does anyone know where I can find them cheaper if they are too high? He said he's going to try to get his friend to hook me up, but he doesn't know how good of a deal he can get me.

He's going to be putting a generic 2 12" sub box with separate chambers to JL specs. He's charging me $100 to build the box, and I know that's a great price. He's charging me $300 to install everything. Is that a good price? It sounds reasonable to me, considering it's going to take him a long time to do and he's going to be doing some custom mounting. He's going to mount the two amps on each side of the trunk so it looks nice and clean.

What do you guys think? Do the wire prices sound reasonable and does his price to install sound reasonable? I don't know alot about stereos, so I want to make sure that I'm doing this job right the first time so I don't mess anything up.

Thanks for any help!
-Nick
Old 07-14-2002 | 10:48 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Ummm actually I would say thats pretty high on the wiring.
I would do: 4 channel RCAs at $50
2 channel RCAs at $25
Speaker wire, yes about .20 a foot, but unless hes using alot of factory wiring in the car, 65ft WILL not cover your components, and rears.

Why is he having your buy 2 kits of 4AWG??? all you need is 4awg running from battery to Dist. block. Is he running 2 seperate wires from the Battery?!?!!

The battery terms, are pretty high in price as well.

Is he fusing these wires? Why not run a breaker?

Did you buy all the equiptment already? Let me know, as Im also in NJ, and maybe I can help you out a little bit.

--Don
Old 07-15-2002 | 12:16 AM
jmax

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
Ummm actually I would say thats pretty high on the wiring.
I would do: 4 channel RCAs at $50
2 channel RCAs at $25
Speaker wire, yes about .20 a foot, but unless hes using alot of factory wiring in the car, 65ft WILL not cover your components, and rears.

Why is he having your buy 2 kits of 4AWG??? all you need is 4awg running from battery to Dist. block. Is he running 2 seperate wires from the Battery?!?!!

The battery terms, are pretty high in price as well.

Is he fusing these wires? Why not run a breaker?

Did you buy all the equiptment already? Let me know, as Im also in NJ, and maybe I can help you out a little bit.

--Don
I agree for the most part. I cant remember how much current those two amps need. A single 4 gauge or a single 2 gauge is what you should use. I can't think of a single logical reason to use two power wires. Also, 16 ft is a bit long for the RCA's. I am pretty sure mine are 12ft and plenty long. Unless he's going to be running wires around the back of the trunk for some reason.
Aside from that, where I grew up, friends helped friends out because they were friends. Not because they were going to make - - $400. I don't know of many installers in Va who make much over minimum wage, so that's over a weeks pay.
Old 07-15-2002 | 06:01 AM

I agree that wiring prices are a little high...I also agree that 2 4ga runs aren't necessary...save some cash and go with 1 2 ga run that will be fine for your install...if wiring won't be seen, welding 2ga can be used and is only about .50 a ft. then you can use colored 8ga. goung to amps from the D block...16ft may be needed for amps in sidewalls to route so that is fine..unless you need to run sub out from head for volume purposes, I would just use the line out on the 300/4 and get about 6ft for it then...with some shopping, all your wiring needs can be done for probably 75 to 125.00 depending on what you use for battery terminals and fusing for d block and battery simple 2ga in and 2 8ga. out can be had for about 15$ rca's I'd say 40 tops for both speaker wire 15 or so battery fuse 15 if agu maybe 25 if anl and 35 if circuit breaker..just have to shop around...sounds like a good setup though good luck and I wouldn't be too concerned about the price of the install..that isn't too bad if some minor custom work is done...also, if you "pay" for the install, if something goes wrong it's on him and if a "friend" does it and does something wrong, your out some cash if something gets blown..with all the protection in jl amps, you wont have that problem but a lot of other things are
Old 07-15-2002 | 06:32 AM

I didn't buy any equipment yet. He told me that he's running a 4ga wire for each amplifier. I'm on my way out the door right now, so let me reply to this again later when I have more time.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 07-15-2002 | 12:49 PM

OK. I did buy the stereo equipment (headunit, speakers, subs, etc.), but I didn't get any of the wiring yet. I really don't know much about stereos, so this is really my only option unless I go to an actual stereo shop and pay a lot more money. What do you guys think?

Now I'm getting skeptical about leaving my car with him for a day so he can do this.

Please help me out!
-Nick
Old 07-15-2002 | 01:24 PM
Disco Biscuit

Shop around for the RCA's. You should be able to get the 16' for around $40 a piece. I would go with the 16' since a little slack is a good thing. I would get around 100' for the speaker wire, and I suggest good ole' Monster Cable for that.
Old 07-15-2002 | 04:26 PM

Re: Stereo Installation...Few Last Minute Questions (Particularly for the Pros)>>>

I agree with what everyone is saying regarding the wiring, but if he is getting top end stuff, then the price is pretty accurate.

Trust me, if he can guarantee you that the install will be free of alternator noise, than the cost of the higher end wires is definitely worth it.

You would be looking at a much higher price if you went to a generic "we sell everything" type shop, so if you trust this guy, consider it money well spent.

I really like the setup you are putting in, it is what I would have liked to have done, had I not already had amps.

You will need to read up on some of the more current posts on eliminating rattles, especially on the rear deck, but that can be done pretty easily.

If you need to, consider porting your rear deck (but only with a big hole), and have it professionally covered for asthetics. Air movement is key with your config, and you will enjoy the vibes more if you get this done.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 07-15-2002 | 09:06 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by Nick97SE
OK. I did buy the stereo equipment (headunit, speakers, subs, etc.), but I didn't get any of the wiring yet. I really don't know much about stereos, so this is really my only option unless I go to an actual stereo shop and pay a lot more money. What do you guys think?

Now I'm getting skeptical about leaving my car with him for a day so he can do this.

Please help me out!
-Nick
Hey Nick....give me an Email, I can look at your car and give you a proper estimate if you would like. Like I posted earlier, I am also in NJ. BTW all the wire that I also posted earlier is all Stinger HPM wires...

Even if Im not the one doing the work for you, it cant hurt to take a ride and Ill let ya know what a job like that should really cost. I am not the one that will try to convince you to let me do it. Ive been quite busy as it is.

BTW I have a few references on the Org.

--Don
Old 07-16-2002 | 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Hey Nick....give me an Email, I can look at your car and give you a proper estimate if you would like. Like I posted earlier, I am also in NJ. BTW all the wire that I also posted earlier is all Stinger HPM wires...

Even if Im not the one doing the work for you, it cant hurt to take a ride and Ill let ya know what a job like that should really cost. I am not the one that will try to convince you to let me do it. Ive been quite busy as it is.

BTW I have a few references on the Org.

--Don
YGM.

-Nick