Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I need baffles

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002 | 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I need baffles

Where is my best bet to get a pair of baffles (either cardboard or wood) for a pair of 6 1/2" midbass speakers? Prices?
Old 07-15-2002 | 04:05 PM

Re: I need baffles

Originally posted by maximabebe
Where is my best bet to get a pair of baffles (either cardboard or wood) for a pair of 6 1/2" midbass speakers? Prices?
I am also interested.
Old 07-15-2002 | 04:29 PM

Re: I need baffles

I think crutchfield has that kind of stuff, but why do you want baffles? From what I have seen, they tend to dull mid-bass some.

I would recommend putting some sound deadening material in your doors, paying attention to the recommedations on the boxes. Dynomat shows you how to properly surround your speakers and set the material up behind the speaker to get the best sound.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-15-2002 | 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I should rephrase my post....I apologize. What I am doing is installing two 6 1/2" speakers in my rear deck as part of a component setup with tweeters. My problem is that when my sub box hits in the trunk, the bass pushes the rear deck speakers' cone to the max because both sets of speakers share the same airspece in my trunk. So, I'm thinking if I baffled the rear deck woofers, I would minimize the risk of having them blown just from the bass response from my subwoofers. Ya know what i mean?
Old 07-15-2002 | 05:54 PM

I should rephrase my post....I apologize. What I am doing is installing two 6 1/2" speakers in my rear deck as part of a component setup with tweeters. My problem is that when my sub box hits in the trunk, the bass pushes the rear deck speakers' cone to the max because both sets of speakers share the same airspece in my trunk. So, I'm thinking if I baffled the rear deck woofers, I would minimize the risk of having them blown just from the bass response from my subwoofers. Ya know what i mean?
Gotcha!!

There are a bunch of posts around that show how to build a mini-box that mounts direcly to your rear dash. It doesn't have to be very big either, and works much better than the baffles. Basically, the ones I have seen look like two or three shoe boxes end to end and they simply bolt onto the rear deck. Well, that's my two cents, thanks for the clarification!!
Old 07-15-2002 | 07:15 PM
jmax

I basically agree with the above, except I haven't seen anything about this posted on this site. Personally, I would build it out of glass and resin. But I don't have mids in my deck, so I don't have to worry about that. The biggest issue in the Max will be the trunk opening balance beam do-hickies. I don't have any, replaced mine with a gas strutt.