Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

which is negative and which is positive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:30 AM

which is negative and which is positive?

this sounds like a dumb question but i searched on the forum and went to several audio places and got different answers.

i have the infinty kappa 62.5i and 693.5i. they both come with crossovers. each crossover has 2 wires coming from the amp on one side and 4 wires going out into the speakers.

here's the problem. i know that generally the wire with the stripe is the negative wire. however, on the crossover the striped wire is connected to the larger connector that goes onto the speakers (which is positive). there are solid black wires and black wires with a white stripe. which is the negative/positive one???

i'm new to this.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 AM
jmax

It does not matter which wire is used for positive or negative. The wire is the same, plain old copper either way. The crossover connections should be labeled, and you already indicated that you know which connector is pos/neg on the speaker.

Old 07-22-2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by jmax
It does not matter which wire is used for positive or negative. The wire is the same, plain old copper either way. The crossover connections should be labeled, and you already indicated that you know which connector is pos/neg on the speaker.
i understand this but here's a more detailed description of the crossover:

- 2 wires are permanently fixed on one side of the crossover - black wire and black wire w/ white stripe. these wires are to be hooked up to the amp or stock speaker wires

- 4 wires are permanently fixed to the other end of the crossover. they are paired in 2 and are all of different sizes. again there is 2 black wires and 2 black wire w/ white stripe.

- here's what's confusing me. the black wire w/ white stripe is connected to the POSITIVE terminals of the speakers (they are sized only to fit the right terminal)

does this mean that i hook up the black wire w/ white stripe to the positive stock wires? b/c from my understanding, the wire w/ the stripe is usually the neg wire. thanks!
Old 07-22-2002, 02:56 PM

Re: .

It doesn't matter what kind of stripe is on the wire. If the wire with a white stripe is already hooked to positive on one end, hook it to positive on the other end too. Wire is wire, the stripes and such are just guides so you don't accidently mix up the polarity.

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy

i understand this but here's a more detailed description of the crossover:

- 2 wires are permanently fixed on one side of the crossover - black wire and black wire w/ white stripe. these wires are to be hooked up to the amp or stock speaker wires

- 4 wires are permanently fixed to the other end of the crossover. they are paired in 2 and are all of different sizes. again there is 2 black wires and 2 black wire w/ white stripe.

- here's what's confusing me. the black wire w/ white stripe is connected to the POSITIVE terminals of the speakers (they are sized only to fit the right terminal)

does this mean that i hook up the black wire w/ white stripe to the positive stock wires? b/c from my understanding, the wire w/ the stripe is usually the neg wire. thanks!