Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Update on the DEI 2-Way Trancievers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 02:30 PM

Update on the DEI 2-Way Trancievers

I got to thinking... I had my Sidewinder 6000, a Valet 552T, a Sidewinder 6500, and a Viper alarm all next to me. Looking at the wiring harness, the harnesses are exactly the same. Same plugs, same colors, same everything. So, I wondered if the new 2-way alarms will use the same harness. If so, all I would have to do is switch out the brain and boom, I have a 2-way alarm! So I e-mailed DEI to ask...

My e-mail bold... His reply italics...

I was browsing your site when I saw the press information on your new 2-way systems due out sometime soon. I just installed a Sidewinder 6500 in my car last week. All your models seem to use the same wiring harness no matter what alarm it is. With these new 2-way systems, would I be able to swap brains between the Sidewinder 6500 and a 2-way system and still use the same wiring harness? If this is possible, it would make it extremely easy for me to upgrade my alarm to one with a 2-way remote.

Hi John. Only wrinkle I see to working with your dealer to upgrade is that the Responder systems will be in Viper, Python and Clifford Matrix but not Sidewinder. If your Sidewinder dealer carries any of those other lines then discuss it with him once the system is out at the end of next month.

Thanks for your reply. I don't mind upgrading to a Viper system to obtain the Responder features. But I was just hoping to verify that the new Responder System Alarms will use the same wiring harnesses (for alarm and remote start functions) as all your other alarms. My local dealers aren't able to verify this, so I was looking for someone at Directed to possibly verify this for me. Thanks again for your information...

Yes, the harness will be the same.

Thanks a lot for that information. I do have one more question, is the LCD on the 2-way remote back lit?

Yes, you can turn it on and off to save battery life.

There it is... straight from DEI. Looks like I'll be replacing my Sidewinder within a few months...
Old 07-24-2002, 11:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

woooooooohoooooooo ive been meaning to call our rep lately. I guess i'll finally be puttin an alarm in my 2k2....oopz. I shouldn't have said that out loud.