Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Urgent Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 10:01 AM

Urgent Help Needed

Allright here's my whole story. I recently, i.e Monday, had a sounds system put in my 1994 Maxima SE. I replaced everything, the Head unit, the componant speakers (front and rear) and put in an amp and two subs. Everything was going great, it sounded really nice, etc etc, when I tried wiring a neon tube in the trunk. I was attemping to wire it directly to the light in the trunk. I forgot that your are always supposed to disconnect the battery when attemping anything electrical, so the battery stayed connected. Basicly what happened next is there were some sparks from the connection that I made and then nothing. The neon wouldn't turn on, so I think crap. Than I go to the drivers side door, and when I open it, none of the door lights turn on. The ceiling lights still work however, as do my headlights, tailights, signal lights, etc. However my head unit, and amp won't turn on, and neither will the aforementioned door lights, or trunk light.

So than I go and get some fuses. Now's heres the odd part. All the fuses in the drivers side fuse box are fine. So is the fuse to the amp. So than the question is WHAT THE HELL DID I DO TO MY CAR??? A guy at the audio store that I went to said that I had blown some "factory fuses" but I have never heard of these before, and since he already led me wrong once, I'll wait and see before taking his advice. Please help, I can't live without audio in my car.
Chris
Old 07-26-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Urgent Help Needed

jus take it back to where you got it put in and be like wtf happened ..dont tell them the story about the neon :X
Old 07-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Urgent Help Needed

Most, if not all, cars have master fuses called fusible links. These can be in the form of either funny looking wires that act like fuses or, most often, real big fuses usually in the box under the hood. Usually these fuses are in the 40-60 amp range. For the wire kind unless the insulation was damaged visibly when it blew you would have to use a meter to find if it were blown. For the big fuse type, these suckers are almost an inch wide, you can clearly see if it is blown thru the window on the top of the fuse itself. Dont know much about the Maxima's but I would venture to guess since you have a faily late model car that your uses the real big fuses in a seperate fuse box under the hood. Good luck
Old 07-26-2002, 08:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Urgent Help Needed

Originally posted by gp1.2k
Most, if not all, cars have master fuses called fusible links. These can be in the form of either funny looking wires that act like fuses or, most often, real big fuses usually in the box under the hood. Usually these fuses are in the 40-60 amp range. For the wire kind unless the insulation was damaged visibly when it blew you would have to use a meter to find if it were blown. For the big fuse type, these suckers are almost an inch wide, you can clearly see if it is blown thru the window on the top of the fuse itself. Dont know much about the Maxima's but I would venture to guess since you have a faily late model car that your uses the real big fuses in a seperate fuse box under the hood. Good luck
Check fuses under the hood especially the fuse box by the battery. There are fusible links in it as well as 140 amp fuse. I would check them with a volt meter on 15 volts DC scale.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 09:01 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Re: Urgent Help Needed

Originally posted by gp1.2k
This is true, but let me add to it with a lil more detail.... check the fuses under the hood. There will be regular fuses just like in the dash, and "fusible" links. There will be a black labeled panel just slightly to the right of your battery. Lift it up (1 clip on each side) and there ya go....

The one that you will look for would be a green one on the right hand side (from front of car). It is a fusible link, not a 'fuse'. It is labeled Power windows. To be exact there will be 9 fuse slots, then the 140A battery link, then the first of the green/clear links is your one !! Hope this helps.

--Don
Old 07-26-2002, 10:48 PM

Thank you guys so much This really helps. I'll let y'all know if this works.
Chris
Old 07-30-2002, 04:27 PM

Alright I got it fixed, finally took it to a Nissan shop in the area (not a dealer) and got it fixed. Cost me $20. Turns out to be some fuse that's not in any of the fuse boxes underneath the hood. Nice guy at the place, told me it happens all the time. Anyway thought you guys might want to know
Chris