Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help!!! B4 I Put Back Together!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 11:27 AM

Help!!! B4 I Put Back Together!!!

I took apart my whole rear dash, to tighten a screw in my rear speakers, when i noticed, the thick black circle around the edge of my speaker...has wear on the bottom side, ON BOTH SPEAKERS...they are no more than...3 monthes old...what is this...are they about to rip...what should I do!
Old 08-07-2002, 02:17 PM
jmax

Do you mean the surround, which attaches to the cone and driver frame? Or do you mean the gasket which seals it to the rear deck? And describe the "wear".

Old 08-07-2002, 04:31 PM

i should know what this is called but i dont, its a big like circle, that goes around the WHOLE speaker...i think it has to do with the sound...because if it rips i know that the speaker sounds ****ty, its hollow inside, its more like a tube, when i say wear, i mean like its rubbing against something, or starting to stretch...only on the bottom side tho, when i say bottom i mean looking at the speaker there is top left right and bottom, even tho its a circle, so bottom means bottom :-P
Old 08-07-2002, 06:11 PM
jmax

I think you are talking about a short portion of the surround. Normally I would think of top as the external surface of a driver mounted in a box. And bottom would be the backside, the side the magnet is on. But I think you are talking about the top side of the driver, lower 180 degrees of the frame. The surround is normally about a half circle of foam. It shouldn't wear out for a few years or more if it is not rubbing. But factory car speakers are pretty cheap, and generally use low quality materials. A surround can be replaced, but it would still be a cheap factory speaker. Most people would feel it a better idea to replace the speakers with something of higher quality.

Old 08-07-2002, 06:59 PM

no this a a Infinity after market speaker, it is no where NEAR factory...i dont think we are talking about the same thing, what I am talkin about is the same thing that goes around subwoofers too, it looks like a tube all the way around the speaker...i think it has to do with the movement of the speaker on bass!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:12 PM
jmax

Originally posted by ThumpinMaxima
no this a a Infinity after market speaker, it is no where NEAR factory...i dont think we are talking about the same thing, what I am talkin about is the same thing that goes around subwoofers too, it looks like a tube all the way around the speaker...i think it has to do with the movement of the speaker on bass!
Yes, the surround. Open the little owners manual that came with your infinities. Oh well, I don't think they include the speakers anatomy in the manual anymore. But it is the surround. The foam or rubber half roll material. All speakers with cones have a surround. Re-mount your speaker and turn it on. Play some music with moderate power and watch the cone carefully. Does it rub anything in it's travels? Or can you see any perforations in the surround? I once upon a time in the early nineties had some infinity triaxials and they were sounding like crap after a long period of abuse. So I removed the grill and looked at them. The surround was nearly gone. That was why they sounded like crud. Even good speakers go bad, eventually.