Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Steering Wheel Audio Controls?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Steering Wheel Audio Controls?

I have a 97 Maxima SE with the Bose system head unit. Anyone know if it's even possible to add a steering wheel mounted audio control to the left side of the steering wheel opposite the cruise controls? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really doubt it is possible with out current headunit but think about this for a moment. Our steering wheel has a place on the left to install something, possibly audio controls would fit, say from a 2001 Pathfinder. (my dad has one so that is how I know) Take out our Bose headunit and put the Pathfinder's smaller bose headunit (exactly half the size of ours yet lacking tape/cd slots) and then put the 6 disc in dash changer from a pathfinder right below it. I bet the audio controls would plug in somehow too. Now you have the new headunit/changer taking up exactly the same amount of space our old headunit was plus you have a 6 disc changer and maybe audio control on the steering wheel. I dont have a clue if this would work but one day when I have run out of things to spend my money on for the Maxima I will give it a try.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not Possible

I checked it out, the OEM of the BOSE head unit is Clarion, and according to what I've been able to find out there's no such functionality in this head unit for remote steering controls. Only a mute option for the optional telephone that Nissan had offered. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by WaarrEagle
I really doubt it is possible with out current headunit but think about this for a moment. Our steering wheel has a place on the left to install something, possibly audio controls would fit, say from a 2001 Pathfinder. (my dad has one so that is how I know) Take out our Bose headunit and put the Pathfinder's smaller bose headunit (exactly half the size of ours yet lacking tape/cd slots) and then put the 6 disc in dash changer from a pathfinder right below it. I bet the audio controls would plug in somehow too. Now you have the new headunit/changer taking up exactly the same amount of space our old headunit was plus you have a 6 disc changer and maybe audio control on the steering wheel. I dont have a clue if this would work but one day when I have run out of things to spend my money on for the Maxima I will give it a try.
I strongly believe it can be done. The steering audio control was available on 2000 Q45. See HERE. Since 99 Maxima uses the same Bose headunit as Q45, I see no reason why we can't have it installed.

Old 11-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Max99ES
I strongly believe it can be done. The steering audio control was available on 2000 Q45. See HERE. Since 99 Maxima uses the same Bose headunit as Q45, I see no reason why we can't have it installed.

Anybody got this to work. I have a 99 and I am extremely insterested in this. My alty has it and it is very, very convient.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:20 PM

I'm calling Dave B. tomorrow to find out how much the steering wheel controls + harness are for a Q45. I swear that has to be the same Bose HU as my 99 that is in the Q45. I will post my findings.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:15 PM

I have a 99 and would like to have this installed, too.
I discussed with Nismos14 few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to work on our cars. By the way, the radio control switch he got is for 2k1 Xterra. Part number: 255529Z410.

This is what he said on his PM:
the thing is in our lil opening there on the left side, there are a few metal pieces and things in the way, and no harness is there to attach it to, the harness im talkin about is behind the bose headunit, if i an run the harness up to the steering wheel i'll see if i can get it to work some how
keep us updated if Dave B can provide any help on this! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2003, 03:09 PM

Well I have good news and bad news.

The good news is it can be done.

The bad news is it is expensive and will require about 8 hours of work. I called Dave B and he can order the switch for $51 but that is the switch and the switch only with no wiring harness. So I called infinity and the wiring harness is one big unit that also controls all of the dash too. It sells for $200 and he said it would require about 8 hours of labor.

That sucks