Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Viper 790 XV Specs (2-way)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:22 AM

Viper 790 XV Specs (2-way)

Since it is now September, I called my DEI dealer to see if he's got any information on the new Viper 2-way systems yet. He said that his DEI rep left DEI and the new rep wouldn't give him any information about the Viper series since he's only a Sidewinder/Python nstaller. The only thing he would tell my dealer is that Sidewinder will NOT have a 2-way system, but Python will. That's kinda messed up in my head. Python is entry-level equipment, Sidewinder is mid-level, and Viper is top of the line. So why would Python and Viper get it but not Sidewinder (unless they are possibly going to phase-out Sidewinder alarms).

I did find a web-site that is pre-ordering the Viper 790 XV. I called them to find out if they have actually recieved/installed any of them yet and he told me that they have not. He said he's been assured that they will be shipping within the next 2 weeks and he already has a bunch of them on back-order. He did say that he's seen the unit first hand and it lives up to all expectations.

Is anyone here a DEI Viper dealer that could sell me a 790 WITHOUT an install?

Here is the link for the specs...

Oh... and new pics...

Links to my last 2 posts regarding DEIs new 2-way system...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=138206
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=138900

The DEI 2-way system is currently the ONLY 2-way system that is FCC Legal...
Old 09-09-2002, 02:23 PM

Is it better then the compustar???
Old 09-09-2002, 06:54 PM

Since this unit hasn't really hit the street yet, no one is going to know if it is better than Compustar. DEI products are some of the best on the market. They specialize in Auto Security and have been for many years.

They are boasting that this system is the ONLY FCC legal 2-way alarm device on the market... so that would raise some interesting questions regarding the Compustar alarms. Maybe maximadave or pearl would have some input on this...
Old 09-09-2002, 07:25 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

[i]Maybe maximadave or pearl would have some input on this... [/B]
Tweeter should receive the first shipment on October 8th. Unfortunately I have no info on the product yet. The Tweeter Mobile Team are suppose to have meetings with DEI next month when the product rolls out.

Dave
Old 09-09-2002, 07:34 PM

Do you have any pricing information? $599 installed is all I've seen so far. That seems really pricey. Especially when I'm used to getting things at cost. Will they be available without install from Tweeter? Is there an org hookup price?
Old 09-09-2002, 07:56 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by maximadriver
Do you have any pricing information? $599 installed is all I've seen so far. That seems really pricey. Especially when I'm used to getting things at cost. Will they be available without install from Tweeter? Is there an org hookup price?
The price of just the alarm is $329.99 without install, so $599.00 installed in not that bad. Unfortunately I would HIGHLY SUGGEST someone of the profession to install this product. DEI does not allow any over the counter purchases on their alarms. Since I work at Tweeter I can't....sorry
Old 09-10-2002, 05:25 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Viper 790 XV Specs (2-way)

The only thing he would tell my dealer is that Sidewinder will NOT have a 2-way system, but Python will. That's kinda messed up in my head. Python is entry-level equipment, Sidewinder is mid-level, and Viper is top of the line. So why would Python and Viper get it but not Sidewinder (unless they are possibly going to phase-out Sidewinder alarms).
Actually Viper is NOT the better one, it is actually just an equivalent. DEI insists on price and territory restrictions. Therefore instead of noone having DEI equiptment they offer different line. Viper and Python are EXACTLY the same. I have not dealt with Sidewinder as often, but I do believe them to be the exact same as well. Just not knowing the requirements to carry them.

In the case of Python, you must have carried Viper for at least 5 years before being able to carry Python. This is how it was in the past, and how I believe it to still be.

--Don
Old 09-10-2002, 08:23 AM

I've always been told that Python/Sidewinder/Viper systems are exactly the same just in a different box, but I've never had anyone confirm that. My Sidewinder dealer has told me several times that the Sidewinder and Viper are the same, and I just thought feature wise. But after this last install nightmare, I have had a Sidewinder 6000, 6500, Viper 550, and a Valet system all side by side and it was extremely hard to tell the difference. Same size, same harnesses, same sensors, everything but the actual brand markings/part numbers. I wonder why they make the same alarm under 3 different names and have different pricing for each one... Wouldn't that drive up the cost for the consumer overall?
Old 09-10-2002, 12:38 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by maximadriver
I've always been told that Python/Sidewinder/Viper systems are exactly the same just in a different box, but I've never had anyone confirm that. My Sidewinder dealer has told me several times that the Sidewinder and Viper are the same, and I just thought feature wise. But after this last install nightmare, I have had a Sidewinder 6000, 6500, Viper 550, and a Valet system all side by side and it was extremely hard to tell the difference. Same size, same harnesses, same sensors, everything but the actual brand markings/part numbers. I wonder why they make the same alarm under 3 different names and have different pricing for each one... Wouldn't that drive up the cost for the consumer overall?
Like I posted above this thread....The reason for the different names is purely territory restrictions.

--Don
Old 09-10-2002, 07:44 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hmmm only legal? dunno.. my Autopage remote has a FCC ID on it.