Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

If you could have one 12" sub up to $400 what would it be

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 01:29 PM
NAS

If you could have one 12" sub up to $400 what would it be

ive had enough bass, previously 2-15" JBL's 140+ db's, and now I think one really nice 12" would be the right way to go, I have a RF punch power 800a2 amp to power the bass, and I figure I can spend $400 on a sub, I was thinking of getting two tens but if I went with one 12" which one would you get? I was looking at Diamond audio subs, Kicker solo L7, JL W3, top of the line soundstream or someting like these
Old 09-13-2002, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brahma. End of discussion.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by skeelo34
Brahma. End of discussion.
yup...right around 1 cubic foot. no worries...or even better--2.5 cubes tuned to 30 hz...your jaw will hit the floor. be real nice.

eric
Old 09-13-2002, 07:39 PM
jmax

A Brahma and enough change left over for a sheet of baltic birch.

Old 09-14-2002, 02:18 PM
NAS

where can you purchase these? is there a retail place or is $370 just a standard price for them? thanx, never hear of them but I will look into it
Old 09-14-2002, 03:17 PM

They are really either sold by Ampman, or direct from Adire audio. Either way you go the price is pretty much the same. I'm still building my box for mine, but I hope to get it in this weekend.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:23 PM

I"d get the Solo L7.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:20 PM

Eclipse Aluminum 12" DVC

Ant
Old 09-15-2002, 05:48 PM

Alpine Type R baby!!!!
Old 09-15-2002, 05:56 PM

Eclipse, alpine, L7.......I still haven't seen a better sub than a brahma mentioned. And don't start mentioning jl audio
Old 09-15-2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Maxima Dan
They are really either sold by Ampman, or direct from Adire audio. Either way you go the price is pretty much the same. I'm still building my box for mine, but I hope to get it in this weekend.
i HATE ampman...you really dont wanna deal with them. adire does charge for shipping tho. i have some friends that are dealers tho, and they cover shipping of the brahma's.

email josh laine @ jlaine@hometownsolutions.net

the price will be the same as ampman, as all adire dealers are under contract not to sell below the adire price (although they can do free shipping), but you wont be supporting a moron

eric

ps- tell josh eric sent ya
Old 09-15-2002, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by nismo240sx

i HATE ampman...you really dont wanna deal with them. adire does charge for shipping tho. i have some friends that are dealers tho, and they cover shipping of the brahma's.

email josh laine @ jlaine@hometownsolutions.net

the price will be the same as ampman, as all adire dealers are under contract not to sell below the adire price (although they can do free shipping), but you wont be supporting a moron

eric

ps- tell josh eric sent ya
Why is kirk a moron? I think he's a really nice guy.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:00 PM

I have a solobaric L5, and that thing pounds!! I would def. go with the L7
Old 09-15-2002, 09:21 PM

Mb quart pwd, or Jl audio w6 V2
Old 09-15-2002, 09:55 PM

Why is kirk a moron? I think he's a really nice guy.
well, having dealt with him a few different times, in different manners, i dont care for him. he has been snotty, and disrespectful, and no one that works for adire (that i know of) likes the guy. ive spoken with people sponsored by adire, and dealers, and they hate him, cuz he acts like a *****.

eric
Old 09-15-2002, 10:28 PM

well, having dealt with him a few different times, in different manners, i dont care for him. he has been snotty, and disrespectful, and no one that works for adire (that i know of) likes the guy. ive spoken with people sponsored by adire, and dealers, and they hate him, cuz he acts like a *****.

eric
Whoa, thats interesting. I never noticed that, actually he's been the opposite as far as I've seen. Maybe had a bad day? Well, next time I do business with them, I'll be more careful....
Old 09-16-2002, 01:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max'n out
Mb quart pwd, or Jl audio w6 V2
Jason, since you are probably the car audio guru around here, what do you think about the JL W7's? I only want to have a one sub system to save space and I may go this route. You think that the W6v2 sounds better?
Old 09-16-2002, 08:08 PM
jmax

eric
Okay, if you know names of people who work for Adire or Ampman who say this, what are the names? The only time I have seen something like this before regarding ampman was in a post that was clearly fabricated. Only a really naive internet consumer would beleive the way it was written.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by cobymoby

Jason, since you are probably the car audio guru around here, what do you think about the JL W7's? I only want to have a one sub system to save space and I may go this route. You think that the W6v2 sounds better?
Well the W7 is a very nice piece indeed...But you comparing two different beast...The W7 is indeed a good sounding sub yet is intended for more bass, and even on lower volumes I think it plays so low and so aggressive that it can kinda over take the music. Kinda hard to explain across the net. The W6 V2 is also a good sub...A nice sounding sub that utilizes alot of the same tech as the W7...As for which is better...Well lots of things to consider here. The W7 has a little larger magnet I think by about an inch which means the enclosure will be back that much further...I don't know where your going to put it so that may be somthing to consider. The W7 also needs more power...Depending on what amp you go with it's probably going to be a big (physical size) amp...which also takes up room. Those types of things are what I would look at...If you don't need massive bass and just the normal amount meaning little to alot on the norm say 130ish db I say get the v2 and spend a little less money ona lower wattage amp about a 400 watt amp will do it. And spend the money you save on something else. But all in all a single sub setup will be fine, infact thats what I'm going with. If theres somthign more specific your looking for let me know I'll do my best to answer it.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If theres somthign more specific your looking for let me know I'll do my best to answer it.
How about the price tag on that W7?
I really like the Brahma and IDMax. Both can get plenty loud, and are very accurate.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by filidream

I really like the Brahma and IDMax. Both can get plenty loud, and are very accurate.
I'll second the Image Dynamics ID MAX... slightly over $400 though....
Old 09-17-2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by filidream

The w7 10" goes for about 550, teh 12 for i think 750 and teh 13 for 1000

The W6 V2 12" goes for about 379.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:07 AM

since you guys are on the subject of subs what are your thoughts of the audiobahn AW08Q vs. the Infinity Kappa perfects?
Old 09-17-2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by dat_nomad
since you guys are on the subject of subs what are your thoughts of the audiobahn AW08Q vs. the Infinity Kappa perfects?
You can do so much better.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by cobymoby

Brahmas are better than w7's and cheaper. w7's have the looks though. They work in very small boxes too.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:20 PM

You can do so much better.
better than this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1380868128
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1380868652
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1380868821
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1380890292

At those prices?

And were talking 10 inch drivers cause thats my prefernce.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:19 PM

Dude, If you want the looks - go with the audiobahn, but if you want sound quality - go with image dynamics,adire, possibliy higher end alpines etc. If you want loud go Kicker,Memphis etc.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:22 PM

It's crap...I'm with the other dude, maybe thats the look you want, but your not gonna see anything but the cone once it's in the enclosure...Unless you invert them...yes for that price you can do better.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by jmax

Okay, if you know names of people who work for Adire or Ampman who say this, what are the names? The only time I have seen something like this before regarding ampman was in a post that was clearly fabricated. Only a really naive internet consumer would beleive the way it was written.
Marshall Joyner...Adire Competitor/Dealer
Scott Stoner...Adire Competitor/Dealer
Ben Milne...Adire Dealer

dan has also had to deal with them for being snotty on the forums a few times. im trying to track down some more names for that list, and trying to find a link to the thread where some of it took place.

eric
Old 09-18-2002, 08:35 AM

It's crap...I'm with the other dude, maybe thats the look you want, but your not gonna see anything but the cone once it's in the enclosure...Unless you invert them...yes for that price you can do better.
Actually I dont care about the looks. I'm looking at thwe price and specs. I have never heard either sub in a car, I have heard good things about the Kappa perfects but nothing about the Audiobahn. I may opt for the 10" Typr R alpines but i wanted some feed back from people who might have heard either the Kappa perfects or the Audiobahns personally. I mean everybody is quick to burn someone up on here but I asked a specific question regarding two subs, and not one person gave an answer to that question. Furthermore, if youre gonna say there are better subs at that price you should at least say what subs and where. Sometimes it seems like you guys are more intersted in bieng smart than being helpful. I have a good idea what the big boys on the block are in the sub world, but I want something i can get a great deal on. I can get the audiobahns for about 129 each kappas for about the same price and Type R's for about 99 .
Old 09-18-2002, 08:48 AM

Actually I dont care about the looks. I'm looking at thwe price and specs. I have never heard either sub in a car, I have heard good things about the Kappa perfects but nothing about the Audiobahn. I may opt for the 10" Typr R alpines but i wanted some feed back from people who might have heard either the Kappa perfects or the Audiobahns personally. I mean everybody is quick to burn someone up on here but I asked a specific question regarding two subs, and not one person gave an answer to that question. Furthermore, if youre gonna say there are better subs at that price you should at least say what subs and where. Sometimes it seems like you guys are more intersted in bieng smart than being helpful. I have a good idea what the big boys on the block are in the sub world, but I want something i can get a great deal on. I can get the audiobahns for about 129 each kappas for about the same price and Type R's for about 99 .
It's hard to suggest certain things at a given price since your looking for deals it will vary, but here with what you got go with the type R's. If you gave me a list of the subs you are willing to pay the price you found it for i'll give you my opinion on those, but with so many used subs out there, so many onine stores it's tuff to suggest somthing at a non retail price. As for teh audiobahns, porr sound, questionable quailty. It's the old adatge you get what you pay for...GIve me a list of what your subs youve found for what your willing to pay and we can go from there. By the way you put this in a section for 400 buck subs...Probally should have put a new post up.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:28 AM

It's hard to suggest certain things at a given price since your looking for deals it will vary, but here with what you got go with the type R's. If you gave me a list of the subs you are willing to pay the price you found it for i'll give you my opinion on those, but with so many used subs out there, so many onine stores it's tuff to suggest somthing at a non retail price. As for teh audiobahns, porr sound, questionable quailty. It's the old adatge you get what you pay for...GIve me a list of what your subs youve found for what your willing to pay and we can go from there. By the way you put this in a section for 400 buck subs...Probally should have put a new post up.
True but I figured since everyone was on the subject strike while the Iron is hot. BTW all the subs were new in the box.

right now I'm actually leaning twoards the type R's cause ther the only ones i heard and i know what to expect. plus i'm a huge fan of alpine. i just figured someone out there has heard the other two personally and could objectivley copare. I just aint want to get subs and then find out i could've got a whole lot more for that money.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:32 PM

True but I figured since everyone was on the subject strike while the Iron is hot. BTW all the subs were new in the box.

right now I'm actually leaning twoards the type R's cause ther the only ones i heard and i know what to expect. plus i'm a huge fan of alpine. i just figured someone out there has heard the other two personally and could objectivley copare. I just aint want to get subs and then find out i could've got a whole lot more for that money.
I'm telling you first hand, audiobahn has yet to make somthing i would pay more than 10 bucks for...Of what you listed The type R's is what I would suggest...If you come up with a longer list or emial me i'll tell you what I can from first hand experience.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:06 PM

Stop playing with these toys. Get yourself a real sub - a brahma. Forget jl, audiobahn, infinity, kicker, etc. This is better, trust me. If you want a little less, get a shiva, but its 1/4 of the price. Right now, adireaudio.com has some speakers very similar to shiva for 75 bucks, but they are 4ohm dvc. Its a steal. Match the brahma with their Revolution 1500 watt amp for below 400 bucks and you got one mean *** sq/spl system fairly cheap. I have 2 shivas in my car, you can ask meccanoble how he liked them. He wound up gettin 1 for himself.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:21 PM

Stop playing with these toys. Get yourself a real sub - a brahma. Forget jl, audiobahn, infinity, kicker, etc. This is better, trust me. If you want a little less, get a shiva, but its 1/4 of the price. Right now, adireaudio.com has some speakers very similar to shiva for 75 bucks, but they are 4ohm dvc. Its a steal. Match the brahma with their Revolution 1500 watt amp for below 400 bucks and you got one mean *** sq/spl system fairly cheap. I have 2 shivas in my car, you can ask meccanoble how he liked them. He wound up gettin 1 for himself.
where did you see the d4 shivas?

Also, another damn fine amp is the Resonant Engineering 35.1D. It does 1580 watts rms into 1 ohm at 12 volts...just imagine what it will do if you can get the voltage up?

Eric
Old 09-18-2002, 06:39 PM

where did you see the d4 shivas?

Also, another damn fine amp is the Resonant Engineering 35.1D. It does 1580 watts rms into 1 ohm at 12 volts...just imagine what it will do if you can get the voltage up?

Eric
Just goto adireaudio.com and goto specials & preorders in the adire store. You'll see the oem Vamp subwoofer. Seems like this sub might actually be better than the shiva for the price, it also requiring quite a smaller box. Speaking of amps, how would you like a brax x2000 amp? I sure do . That resonant engineering would probably run your alternator to the ground with that kinda power lol. I'm sure its no kids toy.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:53 PM

Just goto adireaudio.com and goto specials & preorders in the adire store. You'll see the oem Vamp subwoofer. Seems like this sub might actually be better than the shiva for the price, it also requiring quite a smaller box. Speaking of amps, how would you like a brax x2000 amp? I sure do . That resonant engineering would probably run your alternator to the ground with that kinda power lol. I'm sure its no kids toy.
I've got a friend getting ready to toss a pair of those 35.1D's in his s10 on the stock alt...along with 2 deep cycle batts.

Eric
Old 09-18-2002, 06:56 PM

At around a $100 for a 10" I really like Phoenix Gold Tantrum, Image Dynamics IDQ10 V.2. I'm not big on Kicker but Comp VR is worth a look.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:23 PM
jmax

Marshall Joyner...Adire Competitor/Dealer
Scott Stoner...Adire Competitor/Dealer
Ben Milne...Adire Dealer

dan has also had to deal with them for being snotty on the forums a few times. im trying to track down some more names for that list, and trying to find a link to the thread where some of it took place.

eric
So none of the 4000 JL dealers have a snotty salesman or competitor? I am looking for in person experiences that dealt with a person at ampman or adire being less than honest and respectful. I did see the post on one of the forums that indicated Kirk was rude in an email but the email posted looked totally bogus. The wording was unlike the way Kirk writes a letter and the email address at the end was incorrect. It looked like an elementary kid did a cut and paste.

Old 09-18-2002, 09:33 PM

I had a very bad experience as a customer with ampmanaudio. I ordered a 12" Brahma and at the time it was showing on the website as in stock & shipping. After being told time & time again that the sub would ship very soon I requested that he refund the money to my credit card until the sub actually shipped (I was charged immediately.) He said okay and that he would just charge my card again when the sub came back in stock. I recieved the refund but I guess he forgot about my order. Honestly I'll never deal with ampman again after being lied to several times about my order status. I did find the he was very nice but he would always tell me he would either get back to me or the sub will ship next week and I wouldn't hear anything from him.

Originally posted by jmax

So none of the 4000 JL dealers have a snotty salesman or competitor? I am looking for in person experiences that dealt with a person at ampman or adire being less than honest and respectful. I did see the post on one of the forums that indicated Kirk was rude in an email but the email posted looked totally bogus. The wording was unlike the way Kirk writes a letter and the email address at the end was incorrect. It looked like an elementary kid did a cut and paste.

Quick Reply: If you could have one 12" sub up to $400 what would it be