Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What does an air leak sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 07:18 PM

What does an air leak sound like?

I am still testing/molding my sub enclosure. I have around 1.9ft^3 for a single Brahma 12. Right now I am running it sealed but I am probably going to port it later. I have molded it out of fiberglass using 90 degree biaxial mat and Vinyl esther resin. I was able to get four layers of this on and seems really strong. I was actually able to jump on it and I weigh around 190Lbs. Unfortunalely it was rubbing on the trunk hinge, so I needed to sand it down. I think I went to far and although I can't really see a hole it makes a rattling sound. It really isn't audible from the front seat but if you pop the trunk and listen closely you can hear it.

I am planning on taking the sub back out and patch the areas that I had to sand down. Does this sound like it will take care of it, or is there something else I should be looking into?
Old 09-18-2002, 07:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: What does an air leak sound like?

Originally posted by Maxima Dan
I am still testing/molding my sub enclosure. I have around 1.9ft^3 for a single Brahma 12. Right now I am running it sealed but I am probably going to port it later. I have molded it out of fiberglass using 90 degree biaxial mat and Vinyl esther resin. I was able to get four layers of this on and seems really strong. I was actually able to jump on it and I weigh around 190Lbs. Unfortunalely it was rubbing on the trunk hinge, so I needed to sand it down. I think I went to far and although I can't really see a hole it makes a rattling sound. It really isn't audible from the front seat but if you pop the trunk and listen closely you can hear it.

I am planning on taking the sub back out and patch the areas that I had to sand down. Does this sound like it will take care of it, or is there something else I should be looking into?
If you push on the sub in a sealed enclosure you should have hard time pushing it in. if you got holes it'll go in easier and you'll hear "woosh" sound coming from the location of the leak.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:55 AM

make sure to put your hand over where u think the hole is...you will feel it if there is a leak
Old 09-19-2002, 04:33 PM

Yeah I definately have two pretty big leaks. I found them by putting my ear/cheek over where I thought there was a hole and pushed in the driver. Sure enough I heard/felt the air leaking out. I am going to patch them up tonight. Hopefully this weekend I will have it finished.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:48 PM

I found this trick out at another audio post and figured I would pass it along to you guys. If you have trouble with leaks and/or your box looks rough and you are considering painting it, you can smooth it out by using equal parts Body filler and Fiberglass Resin. You create this slurey by mixing the Resin, Bondo, and the two types of hardener together and painting it on. You get this runny paste that cures unbelievably tough. Just watch where you put it, it won't come off. It barely even dents with a hammer.

I got my box sealed up, carpeted, and installed. It is the best sounding sub I have ever heard. I am still debating porting it, since it will change the sub from being musical and acurate to something that pounds. Considering I don't think I will be able to tune it any lower than 30Hz.