Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Final Post on 4th Gen Bose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 02:11 PM

Final Post on 4th Gen Bose Replacement

Replaced my Bose HU yesterday with a Kenwood KDCX-659, and let me tell you, it sounds GREAT! Contrary to many posts on this forum, IT IS possible to replace only the Bose Headunit and keep...actually increase the sound quality of the factory Bose speakers. Also, the Kenwood was mounted flush without having to drill new mounting holes and it is NOT a motorized flip-in face, it is removable. It looks and sounds superb...so anyone who is debating losing sound quality/looks....REPLACE IT you will hear the difference! This was all done on my 98 SE.

P.S. Sirius Satellite Radio sounds awesome, also got this hooked up, hence my username.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:37 PM

Re: Final Post on 4th Gen Bose Replacement

Originally posted by SIRI_SE
Replaced my Bose HU yesterday with a Kenwood KDCX-659, and let me tell you, it sounds GREAT! Contrary to many posts on this forum, IT IS possible to replace only the Bose Headunit and keep...actually increase the sound quality of the factory Bose speakers. Also, the Kenwood was mounted flush without having to drill new mounting holes and it is NOT a motorized flip-in face, it is removable. It looks and sounds superb...so anyone who is debating losing sound quality/looks....REPLACE IT you will hear the difference! This was all done on my 98 SE.

P.S. Sirius Satellite Radio sounds awesome, also got this hooked up, hence my username.

I was wondering if you used some kind of adapter, re-wired directly to speakers, or anything else you may have done when you hooked it up? I am planning on doing the same thing in my 95 with Bose, and want to know the best way to get the best sound. Thanks, Chokes
Old 09-25-2002, 11:35 PM

Yes, there are three adapters necessary.

1) Line output converter, that has gain adjust on each speaker so Bose speakers will sound good...normal Bose HU has MUCH less power than an aftermarket HU...VERY IMPORTANT!

2) Headunit adapter to fit 95-99 Maxima..also called wire harness.

3) Diversity antenna adapter for your FM antenna.

Line output should cost between $40-50, HU adapter $15, and Antenna $10-15.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where did you purchase your Kenwood?

Yes, there are three adapters necessary.

1) Line output converter, that has gain adjust on each speaker so Bose speakers will sound good...normal Bose HU has MUCH less power than an aftermarket HU...VERY IMPORTANT!

2) Headunit adapter to fit 95-99 Maxima..also called wire harness.

3) Diversity antenna adapter for your FM antenna.

Line output should cost between $40-50, HU adapter $15, and Antenna $10-15.

Hope this helps...
Where did you purchase your unit?
Old 10-17-2002, 08:17 PM

I purchased my unit from a local car-audio shop called Custom Sounds. It retails for around $400....well worth it, nice graphics too.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:27 AM
living out of a maxima...

so this is used to lower the output of the headunit because the blose speakers expect less power?

Line output should cost between $40-50
any more info on this thing? brand?
Old 10-19-2002, 01:42 PM

so this is used to lower the output of the headunit because the blose speakers expect less power?
Yes, this line-output converter has gain controls to lower the output to the Bose speakers. The Bose HU doesn't put out much power and installing an Aftermaket HU w/ high power output would blow the Bose in no time without one of these.

The converter itself is made by many different companies. It will need to have a 4-line output w/ gain controls on each...one gain for each speaker. An above average car-audio shop will definetly have one.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:07 AM
living out of a maxima...

Yes, this line-output converter has gain controls to lower the output to the Bose speakers. The Bose HU doesn't put out much power and installing an Aftermaket HU w/ high power output would blow the Bose in no time without one of these.

The converter itself is made by many different companies. It will need to have a 4-line output w/ gain controls on each...one gain for each speaker. An above average car-audio shop will definetly have one.
I think I'm going to go this route, at least in the meantime until I save up the dough to replace all the Blose. Do you have the brand of the converter you used? (sounds like it worked pretty well)
Old 11-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Sports Button FTW

this is EXACTLY WHAT i have been looking for. This line converter, any recommendations of where to get it? are the brands gonna affect quality? dam this org is so helpful