Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Just install Stinger cap. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 08:23 PM

Just install Stinger cap. HELP!!

I've just install a Stinger expert series cap with digital monitor and my lights still dims when the bass hits.

What could be wrong?

This is how I have installed it. The main power wire goes in the cap and a another power wire coming out the cap into the distrubution block, and from the block into the amps. I have two amps one JL 500/1 and an alpine 400 watt 4ch amp.

thanks
Old 10-09-2002, 08:27 PM
jmax

What is the gauge and length of the power and ground wires? Honestly, wired properly a cap should be unneeded in a system that small. So the additional capacitance should be overkill. There is a wiring problem somewhere.

Old 10-10-2002, 06:13 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Ummm I know stupid question, but, you did charge the cap correct?

--Don
Old 10-10-2002, 08:06 AM
jmax

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
Ummm I know stupid question, but, you did charge the cap correct?

--Don
Oh, come on Don. Don't belittle the guy/gal. Actually I was thinking the same thing. But I don't have a run of the mill cap that needs to be charged prior to or during the install.

Old 10-10-2002, 08:19 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally posted by jmax

Oh, come on Don. Don't belittle the guy/gal. Actually I was thinking the same thing. But I don't have a run of the mill cap that needs to be charged prior to or during the install.

Me Niether... Alumapro here too.

--Don

BTW I was just making sure..
Old 10-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally posted by Pearl96Max

Me Niether... Alumapro here too.

--Don

BTW I was just making sure..
Alumapro yeah yeah so what! blow it out of your midpipe!!!!
Old 10-10-2002, 06:46 PM

What is the gauge and length of the power and ground wires? Honestly, wired properly a cap should be unneeded in a system that small. So the additional capacitance should be overkill. There is a wiring problem somewhere.
I'm using 15 feet 4 gauge power wire and 3 feet ground. My car is grounded properly cause there isn't any alternator noise.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:10 PM
mb1

When I installed my 1 farad Audiobahn cap, I noticed minimal decrease in dimming.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:18 PM

Re: Just install Stinger cap. HELP!!

Originally posted by eaglclon
I've just install a Stinger expert series cap with digital monitor and my lights still dims when the bass hits.

What could be wrong?
This is how I have installed it. The main power wire goes in the cap and a another power wire coming out the cap into the distrubution block, and from the block into the amps. I have two amps one JL 500/1 and an alpine 400 watt 4ch amp.
Probably a stupid question, but you did hook a ground wire up to the negative terminal of the cap, didn't you?
Old 10-10-2002, 09:01 PM

That cap isnt even doing anything for ya.

All caps are good for is max power, like when your amp peaks out due to the load of the subwoofer and the volume your playing the music at. Its a reserve tank of voltage sort of.

If you wish to supplement two amps you need two caps IMO. And if the cap is farther than a foot from the (+) terminal on the amp then its too far and the voltage drop is negating the cap.

Here is what I would do:
Remove it from its current location. Place it in line to the JL 500/1 as close to the amp as possible.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:41 PM
jmax

I'm using 15 feet 4 gauge power wire and 3 feet ground. My car is grounded properly cause there isn't any alternator noise.
I am going to make a crazy guess and say the JL has 60 amps of fuseing. Or that it can achieve max power with about 56 amps of current at 70% efficiencey with 12.5 volts. And I will guess that the alpine has a pair of 25 amp fuses and it's really a 50 watt X 4 channel amp when only receiveing 12.5 volts and running each channel at 4 ohms. I feel relatively safe with this guess as it is a typical alpine 4 channel amp design, typical of their largest 4 channel amps. Now we have 110 amps of fuseing, give or take 10-15 amps.

Now let's consider your wire length. 15 feet is the length from the battery to the cap, to the dist block, to the amp? Or just from the battery to the cap? Also think about what gauge and length of wire is running from the alternator to the factory fusebox just medial of the drivers side fender. And from that point where it goes through a 120 amp fuse to the battery terminal.

To achieve a 1/2 volt drop or less with 90 amps of current and a 15 foot cable run we need 2 gauge wire. If we go up to 125 amps of current we need 0 gauge. This is just to keep the voltage from dropping more than a half of a volt.

Old 10-11-2002, 06:22 PM

I am going to make a crazy guess and say the JL has 60 amps of fuseing. Or that it can achieve max power with about 56 amps of current at 70% efficiencey with 12.5 volts. And I will guess that the alpine has a pair of 25 amp fuses and it's really a 50 watt X 4 channel amp when only receiveing 12.5 volts and running each channel at 4 ohms. I feel relatively safe with this guess as it is a typical alpine 4 channel amp design, typical of their largest 4 channel amps. Now we have 110 amps of fuseing, give or take 10-15 amps.

Now let's consider your wire length. 15 feet is the length from the battery to the cap, to the dist block, to the amp? Or just from the battery to the cap? Also think about what gauge and length of wire is running from the alternator to the factory fusebox just medial of the drivers side fender. And from that point where it goes through a 120 amp fuse to the battery terminal.

To achieve a 1/2 volt drop or less with 90 amps of current and a 15 foot cable run we need 2 gauge wire. If we go up to 125 amps of current we need 0 gauge. This is just to keep the voltage from dropping more than a half of a volt.
Thanks jmax for your help. You really know your stuff.

Ok my JL amp pulls 50 amps of current and my Alpine Pulls 40 amps. So are you suggesting that I try a 2 gauge wire?

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2002, 11:28 PM

Hey, before plunking down some more money on some wire why don't you do a bit of troubleshooting. Try taking the Alpine out of the equation. Either disconnect the RCA connections to it or turn down the gain. Then run your system normally (read thumpin') and see if the light still dim. You don't sound severely underwired (i.e. running 8 gauge), 4 Gauge can easily handle 50-60 amps. You should probably upgrade to 2 Gauge, but it might not be your real problem. You might need a new battey, alternator, or it may still be a ground problem.

My point is, don't just shotgun parts at it.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:10 AM
jmax

Originally posted by Maxima Dan
Hey, before plunking down some more money on some wire why don't you do a bit of troubleshooting. Try taking the Alpine out of the equation. Either disconnect the RCA connections to it or turn down the gain. Then run your system normally (read thumpin') and see if the light still dim. You don't sound severely underwired (i.e. running 8 gauge), 4 Gauge can easily handle 50-60 amps. You should probably upgrade to 2 Gauge, but it might not be your real problem. You might need a new battey, alternator, or it may still be a ground problem.

My point is, don't just shotgun parts at it.
And Dan is right as well. You may want to dig out a multimeter and check your battery and alt. As well as your grounds.

Old 10-12-2002, 12:30 AM

using that alpine for the highs, it shouldnt draw more than 10-15 amps in reality. did you upgrade your battery to chassis ground, your alternator to battery wire, and your engine to ground wire? also, how is your cap wired up? there are 2 PROPER ways of doing it. run the power wire from the + terminal on the battery to the + on the cap, then to the + on the amp. here is the difference between the 2...either wire the cap - to the chassis, and the amp - to the chassis, OR go from the amp - to the cap -, and then upgrade the size of the cap - to ground (if using 4 gauge power, use 2 gauge between the cap - and ground).

eric
Old 10-12-2002, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by nismo240sx
using that alpine for the highs, it shouldnt draw more than 10-15 amps in reality. did you upgrade your battery to chassis ground, your alternator to battery wire, and your engine to ground wire? also, how is your cap wired up? there are 2 PROPER ways of doing it. run the power wire from the + terminal on the battery to the + on the cap, then to the + on the amp. here is the difference between the 2...either wire the cap - to the chassis, and the amp - to the chassis, OR go from the amp - to the cap -, and then upgrade the size of the cap - to ground (if using 4 gauge power, use 2 gauge between the cap - and ground).

eric
I just put in the a new optima red top battery a month ago. I never had my alternator replaced it has 150k miles on it. I had an old 250 watt ppi pushing the subs with no problem. I'm guessing the jl draws too much current. The guy I bought my JL 500/1 amp form told to upgrade the fuse holder and put a 150 amp fuse near the battery would there be a problem haveing such a large fuse?
Old 10-12-2002, 08:55 AM
jmax

I just put in the a new optima red top battery a month ago. The guy I bought my JL 500/1 amp form told to upgrade the fuse holder and put a 150 amp fuse near the battery would there be a problem haveing such a large fuse?
The red top, if larger than the stock battery may be straining the battery excessively. But I don't think the average optima batteries are large enough to make that a concern. Upgradeing your ground wires may be a good idea. As well as cleaning all the battery and power wire contacts / terminals. The 150 amp fuse is only a good idea if the wire can handle the current. 2 gauge is only rated to handle that much current for up to 10 feet. 0 gauge should be used for longer wire lengths. And, please get out there and check your cap wireing.