Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Have to replace my head unit, need recommendations... and I also have other questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have to replace my head unit, need recommendations... and I also have other questions

My stereo head unit (the Nissan double din non Bose unit) is starting to malfunction a lot lately. It says 'CD Error' all the time and won't play my CD's, and it ejects them and then won't take them back in. I'm getting really fed up with it and am considering replacing it.

I searched and the general consensus is that when you replace the head unit with aftermarket, you also have to replace the speakers. What is a good system that won't cost me thousands? I'm not looking for subs or anything... I just want to replace my speakers and my head unit with a good quality system that won't cost a fortune (although I realize it is not going to be exactly cheap, either).

I have one other question... I searched and could not quite find what I was looking for. When you replace everything, do you have to re-do all of the wiring in the car as well? Because if I do, I am going to have to spend a lot of money on installation.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:51 PM

well you sound a lot like me, same thing is happening with me and my speakers. im buying a Alpine CDA-7894...you can get the CDA-7893 tho if you dont want the ability to play mp3's. I think it seems like a good deck since it has a built in amp in it so if your not gonna get a amp its a nice thought. It is 27watts rms and 60x4 peak. Im gonna get that deck and some eclipse speakers and see how it sounds, and then most likely add a amp and sub later.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:10 PM

pioneer or alpine headunits are very good and what do u have bose or nonbose if u have nonbose u dont have to rewire everthing jus the harness
Old 10-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BLack2k2MaX
pioneer or alpine headunits are very good and what do u have bose or nonbose if u have nonbose u dont have to rewire everthing jus the harness
I have the non-Bose unit... so I guess I'm in luck!